• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Change of 'pre-op diet' plan

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Hi all.

Just thought I'd give you a little update on my pre-op diet. Did 10 days of slimfast shakes but by day 7 they were making me very sick (all that milk...yuck!) and was only managing 2 or 3 a day.

Beginning to wish I'd done the food option they gave me but thought it was too late. Anyway, ended up very unwell and nearly passing out all weekend after some work at my allotment (usually manage 6 or 7 hours of hard work there (still clearing it!) but after 2 hours I had to lie down on the grass and get someone to take me home :().

I phoned my dietician yesterday and she told me that that really wasn't good and switched me to the food plan (1000 Kcals). I'm very worried my liver won't shrink enough but as I'd already lost about 12-14lbs in the 10 days she said it would be fine - even if i managed to maintain this weight now for the next few weeks till my op.

I'm obviously hoping to loose more still and still really worried about the liver size. Feels weird to be eating food again and feel ever so bloated all the time. The diet has 3 portions of carbs a day but thinking if I cut those out I might feel a bit less bloated.

Any other ideas anyone?

I am in the same sort of dilemma as you.
My hospital offers 5 diets, 3 liquid and 2 food. I was doing the 'real' food one which only has 1 small portion of carbs a day but after nearly three weeks got sick of jsut meat and salad for lunch and meat and veg for dinner. So decided to do the 'count your own calories between 800-100' a day. Now this one doesn't mention carbs but obviously on so few cals I am not eating too many but have regained 3 of the 21 pounds I had lost and am now panicking about liver size and not losing any more weight!
Sorry, have hijacked your thread and have been no help whatsoever!!
Someone come along and help us please!!

Last edited:
Hun if Lucy says its ok then dont worry, u just must be 1000% accurate with your carb amounts as its the reduction of carbs that get rid of the glycogen in ur liver.
I bought one of those little measuring spoon sets and i was shocked at how small one tbs was when i measured it properly, as breaky u can have either 1 slice of toast or 3 tbs of cereal and when u see how small it is u will be shocked.
Am sure u will be fine, good luck and if u want to chat at any time just pm me and i will pm u my mob xxxx

Hun if Lucy says its ok then dont worry, u just must be 1000% accurate with your carb amounts as its the reduction of carbs that get rid of the glycogen in ur liver.
I bought one of those little measuring spoon sets and i was shocked at how small one tbs was when i measured it properly, as breaky u can have either 1 slice of toast or 3 tbs of cereal and when u see how small it is u will be shocked.
Am sure u will be fine, good luck and if u want to chat at any time just pm me and i will pm u my mob xxxx

Thanks Roch x

I dare not even try loose cereal for breakfast incase I go one rice krispie over! Today was 1st breakfast but had 1 shredded wheat as I didn't have to weigh it out. Would never have filled me up before but after 10 days on liquid I felt nicely full till lunch :)

I'm trying to miss at least 1 carb portion a day too...just incase my measurements are not up to scratch.

I am in the same sort of dilemma as you.
My hospital offers 5 diets, 3 liquid and 2 food. I was doing the 'real' food one which only has 1 small portion of carbs a day but after nearly three weeks got sick of jsut meat and salad for lunch and meat and veg for dinner. So decided to do the 'count your own calories between 800-100' a day. Now this one doesn't mention carbs but obviously on so few cals I am not eating too many but have regained 3 of the 21 pounds I had lost and am now panicking about liver size and not losing any more weight!
Sorry, have hijacked your thread and have been no help whatsoever!!
Someone come along and help us please!!

Oh it is a dilema isn't it? I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

I've been weighing myself daily (have a tendency to get a bit obsessive so daily is actually good) whilst on liquid but just couldn't face it today for fear that I've put anything on now I'm eating food again. I'm worried as I feel 'full' and don't think I should. I'm hoping it's just because my stomach has shrunk a bit from the previous 10 days. May weigh myself tomorrow but will sleep on it... :scale:

Thanks Roch x

I dare not even try loose cereal for breakfast incase I go one rice krispie over! Today was 1st breakfast but had 1 shredded wheat as I didn't have to weigh it out. Would never have filled me up before but after 10 days on liquid I felt nicely full till lunch :)

I'm trying to miss at least 1 carb portion a day too...just incase my measurements are not up to scratch.

Thats a good idea to cut out one of the carbs as i think its 3 portions of carbs ur allowed.
Am sure ur going to be 100% ok, take care and chat soon xx

Hi Lucy,
I weighed daily when on liquids but even on real food my weight is dropping a tiny bit most days. I just feel paranoid that I'm gonna mess it up! Can't understand that if carbs are the evil to be avoided then slimfast is one of the diets I was offered cos its full of carbs!
Good luck anyway and thanks Roch for advice x

Hi Both, I have been on 2 slimfast and a 300 cal meal aday for 5 weeks now and have lost over 2 &1/2 stone. Keep going and I'm sure all will be fine. I also have bought a set of measuring spoons(£1 for set in poundland) and you will be amazed at how little each one is!

I would also advise throwing away the scales - I go to Tesco once a week and weigh in on their machine much more accurate and gives BMI info as well

Take care both and keep your chins up x

Thanks Cindy...you sound like you're doing fantastically well! I really should take your advice and get rid of the scales but I'm addicted! I've done 5 days on food now and my weight just haven't shifted. I've two weeks left so I'm going to do another week on the food plan and see if I start to loose again. If I don't, I'm going back to slimfast for the last week.

Btw...far too scared to go and weigh myself somewhere public like Tesco - you're very brave :)

Back