• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op diet, when should i start?

mike135

Hi all,

I know that the first question people will have from reading my thread title is "Hasn't your provider told you what and when?". Well they have, but I'm wondering whether its the best thing for me.

They have advised a 5-day-long pre-op diet of either their own range of soups/shakes (which i have tried an they're vile) or a very low calorie/very low carb diet in order to shrink the liver.

Now from reading on here, i personally think 5 days isn't really long enough, and also I have made them aware that i have non-alcoholic steato hepatitus (fatty liver) but they still think this length of pre-op diet is fine before the surgery.

Personally, I am thinking of doing the milk diet, and also doing it for the best part of two weeks prior to my band op, which is on the 24th.

I'm just sharing this with you guys to see really what your thought's are, and also whether you'd agree with my plan, or whether i should stick to what they have suggested. I don't want to risk my liver still being too big on the day of the op.

I could drink milk literally till the cows come home, I love the stuff, so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Your thought's please....

:)

your provider should know best but then again maybe hey dont!! If you can manage a milk diet why not raise your concerns to them and advise of your plans and see if they take your concerns seriously then. Dont forget ur vitamins and bovril drink if you do the milk diet but I would raise it with your provider just to double check in my opinion (no expert) Good luck

hi Mike, i did the milk diet for two weeks, and still had a fatty liver.
sue.

The average pre op diet is 2 weeks. It seems that private providers are not so strict, but I think if I were you, and I were confident I could stick to it, I would do 2 weeks.

Hi people,

Thanks for your replies. Its a bit strange isn't it really how just because your paying for surgery, they only say do 5 days pre-op diet. It makes you wonder how important a pre-op diet actually is in the first place!

Keep the advice coming, i'd like to see some more peoples opinions!

Thanks again,

I did the milk only for 2 weeks, didn't really enjoy it, but all you have to think about is that you are doing it to make surgery safer and easier

Hi Mike, my surgery is in september & i've been told to do the pre op diet (of my choice) for one week but i'm going to go for 2 weeks just so i feel more confident, i'm going for the slimfast one as i will not be able to control myself if i was to eat anything one mouthful goes to a hundred and so on!!!! Best of luck!!!!

Hi Em,

Thanks for your post. My only concern about doing slim fast which i don't know if it is a problem or not, as I haven't checked - but doesn't slim-fast contain carbs as its a meal replacement diet?

i done teh low carbs diet high protein low fat and low sugar and i have been on it 6 weeks now x

Hi people,

Thanks for your replies. Its a bit strange isn't it really how just because your paying for surgery, they only say do 5 days pre-op diet. It makes you wonder how important a pre-op diet actually is in the first place!

Keep the advice coming, i'd like to see some more peoples opinions!

Thanks again,

That's because on the NHS the surgeons need to see a commitment to sticking to a strict eating regime, whereas when you go private it doesn't matter, you're paying for it. It only takes 72 hours to deplete your liver of glycogen if you stick to very low carbs ;)

Do you meen it takes 72 hours of no carbs to deplete your liver of glycogen completely, or it only starts depleting after 72 hours of no carbs, and then takes 72 hours for it to deplete fully?

Sorry, hope that makes sense! :p

Do you meen it takes 72 hours of no carbs to deplete your liver of glycogen completely, or it only starts depleting after 72 hours of no carbs, and then takes 72 hours for it to deplete fully?

Sorry, hope that makes sense! :p

Yes, it's approx 72hrs from the start of a no-carb diet, much less if you exercise. An athlete can deplete their glycogen stores within hours if they don't pre-load with carbs beforehand.

If you're not taking in carbs the body uses the glycogen stored in your liver & muscles as energy instead. Once the process starts you'll also notice you're running to the loo more frequently as glycogen depletion results in losing the excess water it's stored in. This is why it's so easy to lose 10lbs in a week, it's all water loss at this stage, not actual fat.

Hi mike, i do have to look more into the slimfast one but the nice lady at the hospital said you have 5 a day i think they're 240 calories (ish) with your vitamins in them.......i've done the slimfast diet b4 & it did not feel like i was replacing a meal, i can tell ya!! ha ha ha ha :8855:

Back