• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Changing the pre-op diet

Josiegirl

I have been really struggling with the first two days of the pre-op diet. The one I am on is the low calorie one with real food. However, with having a gastric band that is going to be removed and replaced with a bypass because I cannot eat solid foods properly this diet is proving to be an absolute nightmare. Most of the foods on the list, apart from wheetabix, are problematic for me. Cant eat bread, eggs, meats etc and no matter how hard I try and chew for hours everything gets stuck and I get terrible iron fist pain and everything comes back up.

I have decided to switch to the Slimfast pre-op diet as that will be so much easier for me. The liver reduction will be exactly the same and, according to statistics, that pre-op diet and the milk diet result in a larger weight loss than the low calorie one.

I will try and ring the dietician at Yale tomorrow to discuss this with her but no matter what she suggests there is no way that I can carry on like this as it is agony.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Or have any advice or suggestions? I think that if I am going to switch it had better be sooner rather than later as I will have 12 days to complete the pre-op diet. Is anyone else on the Slimfast diet or has been on it that can advise on how effective it is please?

Sounds like the liquid diet will be better for you.Preop diet is not for weightloss,its to make your liver softer and easier to move as your stomach is behind it!Hope the different diet helps.Maz x

I have spent all morning trying to contact my dietician at all the hospitals that she serves and her secretary is unavailable today so have given up. Decided I had better leave well alone and just try and eat the things on the diet sheet that will go down. Happy to say that I have already lost 3lbs so it can't be that bad and it is only for another 11 days so will try to stick with it. I would hate to suddenly find myself refused surgery or something because of non compliance with the pre-op diet :)

Makes me feel a bit like I was back in school :D

I would still try ringing tomorrow Josie, as it doesn't hurt to ask.

SarahS and I have the same surgeon but different providers. I did the 4 pints of milk a day (not slimfast) and Sarah was not given that option but given the low fat low carb option.

I think the end result is the same, as said before it is to shrink the liver not so much for weightloss. That is a bonus side effect.

If it makes life easier for you, please do try again tomorrow to ask, the worst they can say is no. Good luck

Yesterday I was looking through my file from the hospital from when I had my gastric band and luckily found the dietician's mobile number and got in touch finally. Thankfully she said I was just in time as any later and she would have advised against any changes. But she is happy for me to go ahead for the final lap with the Slimfast pre-op. Slight modifications agreed on to suit (basically to include the one food I didn't have a problem with). So today I had

Breakfast: 1 wheetabix with skimmed milk.
Mid morning had half of one portion of protein drink.
Slimfast for lunch.
Mid afternoon had the other half of the protein drink.
Slimfast for dinner.

All went down a treat and not hungry at all.

Calorie wise it works out at approx 100 cals for the wheetabix. Being generous as it says 70 on the pack but not if it includes milk so counting 100.
Each slimfast is 230 cals and the protein shake is 203 cals. Total for the day 763 calories.

If this is too low I will add another protein shake.

Roll on the next weigh in - hope it works well :)
One thing is for sure, I can carry on any length of time with this diet as it is so much easier and, because I have the band, it helps me not to be hungry.

Good for you, I am glad you persevered and changed to what suits you, and wow what timing! Well done xx

Back