• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diet - target weight?

ejc1905

Six Month Post Op
Hello all. I have my op with WLSG on Wednesday & getting very nervous about everything...

I have stuck to my pre-op slimfast/soup diet for 10 days (only one deviation of a ham sandwich :sigh:)

I haven't been given a target pre-op weight but am concerned that I have only lost 6lbs & therefore my liver will not have shrunk enough. Is this normal? I am terrified that they wont be able to operate on me cos it wouldn't have shrunk enough...

i wouldn't overly worry about the numbers you have lost, as long as you have been relatively good and have not cheated (bar the sarnie) your liver will have shrunk....your surgeon will tell you after surgery if you ask them, but rest assured, i'm sure you'll be fine if you at least stick to it between now and wednesday

HiYa,
I don't know what weight you are right now, but I was 217lbs when i started my pr op diet and only lost 5lbs, and they done it for me.
Sorry i can't help any more but wishing you the best of luck on your journey.

Hi ejc I am sure you will be fine dont worry and good luck for your surgery on Wed

Jay xx

Well hun I had my band with WLSG yesterday at preston and I had lost 15lbs before the op but had strayed from the pre op on a couple of occasions with naughty things, i really did need this op! and colleen said i was ok to replace 1 slim fast with chicken once a day as i was soo soo hungry, I got the op no problem and I am now on road to recovery :)

Im sure that there are lots of people cheating on thier pre op and Im quite sure the surgeons are aware that people do stray, I also think that they put you on the diet slightly longer than necessary to make sure you will have def shrunk it.
Good luck, just stick to it as well as you can and you will be absolutely fine :D

Im sure that there are lots of people cheating on thier pre op and Im quite sure the surgeons are aware that people do stray, I also think that they put you on the diet slightly longer than necessary to make sure you will have def shrunk it.
Good luck, just stick to it as well as you can and you will be absolutely fine :D

Nope this isn't true, i've heard of people brought back around and sent home because they have not shrunk there liver enough for the sugeon to get the tools through and lever the liver out of the way !

The whole idea of the pre op diet is to drain the fats and fluids out of the liver, which shrinks to about half its normal size, this way the surgeon can use a tool to fold it back out of the way, you will lose weight but its not the main intention - so dont worry about the amount of loss, just stick to the diet as they say you should and dont cheat !

There have been cases where the operation was not done because the patients liver was too big but they are rare.

Weight loss is not a real measure of liver shrinkage anyway so don't panic about your low loss so far, you'll have bags of time to make up the loss post op.

I asked my surgeon what would happen if my liver was too big and he said in hundreds of operations he had never had to abandon one for this reason. I asked what would happen if it was too big and he said he would just open me up and do it the old way :eek:

Worry not, but keep to the diet as best as you can and you will be fine hun xxx

Thank you guys - support much appreciated (again!). Silversurfer, I too heard of a couple of people who have woken up & been told their liver hadn't shrunk enough & therefore they couldn't have the band fitted... its my biggest fear!!

Pink Daisy - Great to hear you too used WLSG, I particularly like Wendy! I am going to their North London hospital though (only 40mis away for me not the 3 hours each way you have to travel). Did you have an pre-op tests before your operation with the WLSG? I haven't heard anything, other than checking in at 4pm and not eating for up to 8 hours before hand...

Back