• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting pre op diet tomorrow

scnewbie

Hi all! I'm starting pre op diet tomorrow. I've been told by medical team to eat grilled meats and lots of fruit and veg no butter no oils no carbs etc.. So I'm not too restricted in that its not a milk diet or liquid diet. I'm going to do slimfast for breakfast and lunch and dinner will be grilled lean chicken with lots of veg. Anyone else tried slimfast?

Hiya!

I am just 'trying' the pre-op diet at the moment even though I havent got an official date to start but I'm hoping that it means I will lose a bit of weight before my pre-op!

I have been having slimfast for breakfast which is fine but for lunch it just did nothing for me!! I found myself hungry really quickly so I have been having slimfast for breakfast, a chicken salad or fish etc. the dietician at Derby said its best to stay away from things like soups and liquids pre-surgery because you'll get fed up of them quicker post surgery.

Definitely no butter, oil or anything but luckily on derby's pre-op diet they allow carbs as long as its just a small bread roll or 100g of potato.

if its no carbs be really careful with slim fast as they are considerably high in carbs....so as long as its in your ok'd foods it will be ok, but just beware.

Good luck with your diet.

My memory of the pre-op diet is wooly but I remember eating a lot of tuna as it I could have more of that than anything else!! I think some people swore by prawns but I don't eat them so I'm not sure in that. That's based on the Derby diet. Xx

Thanks all. Have checked with surgeons and slimfast is fine! Started today ok had 2 slimfast shakes and lunch was veg soup and now having lean chicken with lots of veg. Dessert will be banana! I sure hope I don't slip. It's gonna be tough but I keep thinking of the end result!

The pre-op diet sounds very hard going but when its my time I know I will be too scared to cheat incase I get refused or even worse something goes seriously wrong due to a cake or a bag of crisps :)

I did Slim fast shakes and Bars for two meals, sometimes even three, or a light meal for dinner at the pre-op diet. It's not too bad, but you do get hungry fast. Try to stay distracted.

Yes it is hard and you do get quite hungry very fast but also I think your mind is going over drive and telling you your hungry when your really not. My hubby is a chef so 2 things .... 1) having a chef as a hubby has got me to the size I am today! And 2) he's really trying to help me cook nice meals during the pre-op diet. He chopped up 5 different veggies and popped them into a saucepan with a stock cube no butters no nothing! He then grilled a chicken breast and made it all into a kind of healthy ratouille. It just beats the boringness of meat and veg everyday!

Yes it is hard and you do get quite hungry very fast but also I think your mind is going over drive and telling you your hungry when your really not. My hubby is a chef so 2 things .... 1) having a chef as a hubby has got me to the size I am today! And 2) he's really trying to help me cook nice meals during the pre-op diet. He chopped up 5 different veggies and popped them into a saucepan with a stock cube no butters no nothing! He then grilled a chicken breast and made it all into a kind of healthy ratouille. It just beats the boringness of meat and veg everyday!
Good ideas - and good practice for post op :D Make sure you fill up on liquids as well in between meals

Yay for men like that, sounds nice actually. Could get used to that, couldn't you, lol

You can get very used it!!!!! That's the problem :) slimfast is not too bad actually but I will try some of the bars too they offer like you said. Xxx

Yes but it can be a blessing if they make you nice, yummy and healthy low-fat meals.

Yea it is very nice as I would literally plop a chicken breast and some carrots onto a plate everyday for 2 weeks. So yes it is nice. He is actually considering getting banded himself but he will wait and see how I get on over the next few months.

Ah right, my partner is very skinny, doesn't need it but has changed his eating habits as well... Not just for me, but it helps me.

Back