• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CHANNEL 4 9PM

I thought the tv programme was quite good, and fits in with the whole recession thing. I read in the paper that the NHS might be cutting services on smokers, alcoholics and obese people, which I agree is terrible. I think the media are doing their usual...ridiculing a certain group, make them look bad so the public turn against them.

The programme does highlight some good points on taking responsibilty. I also watched the show about the obese 15year old, and I thought she done fantastically, without any procedures, she was 33 stone and i think she lost 5 stone in 1 month...thats pretty amazing. I personally know people who abused the NHS system, by eating non stop on the pre-op and saying they didnt...because they knew the surgery would fix them. Although i have read plenty stories on this forum, and I have seen a different side to that now, people who have really changed their lives around after WLS...they inspire me, as it cant be easy. As usual a small group of people give the rest of us a bad name.

I think a good way to regulate the whole NHS WLS thing, would be...without a sufficient weight loss...2 stone or something on pre op then no surgery, as the surgery would be in-effective, if you cant diet b4 the procedure then how are they going to diet in a year or so's time when there stomach is slightly bigger, after all, it can be stretched back to taking large amounts. It should be different for people who pay, as they are not using tax payers money. I suppose it could be said that if your asking for it for nothing, then you should have to show that you can do it properly.

I thought the tv programme was quite good, and fits in with the whole recession thing. I read in the paper that the NHS might be cutting services on smokers, alcoholics and obese people, which I agree is terrible. I think the media are doing their usual...ridiculing a certain group, make them look bad so the public turn against them.

The programme does highlight some good points on taking responsibilty. I also watched the show about the obese 15year old, and I thought she done fantastically, without any procedures, she was 33 stone and i think she lost 5 stone in 1 month...thats pretty amazing. I personally know people who abused the NHS system, by eating non stop on the pre-op and saying they didnt...because they knew the surgery would fix them. Although i have read plenty stories on this forum, and I have seen a different side to that now, people who have really changed their lives around after WLS...they inspire me, as it cant be easy. As usual a small group of people give the rest of us a bad name.

I think a good way to regulate the whole NHS WLS thing, would be...without a sufficient weight loss...2 stone or something on pre op then no surgery, as the surgery would be in-effective, if you cant diet b4 the procedure then how are they going to diet in a year or so's time when there stomach is slightly bigger, after all, it can be stretched back to taking large amounts. It should be different for people who pay, as they are not using tax payers money. I suppose it could be said that if your asking for it for nothing, then you should have to show that you can do it properly.

Very well said....xx

Yes i agree with you that young girl was a credit to herself and sticking with the diet and personal trainer. Maybe her mum felt some responsibiltiy and that's why she got her daughter the trainer or just she loved her lots and wanted a better and healthier life for her

Just a thought why then were people still fat when the war rationing was in people got the same as the next one but some still over weight i wonder still think some more prone to put on weight than others me being one.

when I watched the tv programme with the young girl at 15, i felt so sad i wanted to cry....I felt so bad for her, and I did actually think she would need WLS...but she really does put quite alot of people to shame...she managed to find motivation to do it herself, even though she knew she had 20 odd stone to lose, she kept going with diet and exercise...willpower is an amazing thing, and once you get it, its hard to lose it. ;)

Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that the TV channel paid for her to stay at that boot camp thing...was it not around £30k a year...they probably offered to pay it, if she let them film.

Just a thought why then were people still fat when the war rationing was in people got the same as the next one but some still over weight i wonder still think some more prone to put on weight than others me being one.

Definatly agree with that easter chick. I am one of those lot too, never took me much to put on weight, have always been jealous of people who can eat loads and still remain slim. But I also agree with the whole calorie in calorie out thing....didnt realise how effective it could be untill i tried calorie counting.

LMTO!

I was very unforrtunate enough to be conscious whilst under general anaesthesia a long time ago and I heard comments about my body that had I havce been fully compos mentis, would have made me blush or punch their lights out. They knew I was telling the truth when I said I was aware because I was able to recall what they said about me!

It wasn't me that blushed!

Oh my god that is awful. Did it hurt?

What I would like to know is, how will he feel when he watches this on TV??? Will he be happy with himself for coming across the arrogant so and so that he exposed himself to be, or will he feel embarrassed and remorseful??? I know if I'd made comments like that and people saw it I'd die with shame (not that I would anyway) especially saying it while the peeps are unconcious and not able to defend their self. this is just my opinion xxx Gaynor xxx

What I would like to know is, how will he feel when he watches this on TV??? Will he be happy with himself for coming across the arrogant so and so that he exposed himself to be, or will he feel embarrassed and remorseful??? I know if I'd made comments like that and people saw it I'd die with shame (not that I would anyway) especially saying it while the peeps are unconcious and not able to defend their self. this is just my opinion xxx Gaynor xxx

hes just gone from "hero to hated" i would think in alot of his patients perspectives

Yes Liz me too. I'm glad he's not doing mine as I'd hate to be spoken about like that. Maybe when he does see what an ass he's made himself look he will think twice about making such unproffessional comments.

as they say "sh*t sticks" its gonna be a hell of along time before people trust or respect him again.

I actually don't agree with WLS for teenagers especially on the NHS... and the reason is that the amount of money that it costs to do it would I am sure at least give 6 months counselling and personal training advice to each teenager... I think if you can catch people before they go too far in thinking that this is the only option then there is a less drastic way out than an operation.

But this is only MY opinion. I would never consider WLS for myself and do believe that counselling is the way forward because after an operation the emotional scars, if that was the problem in the first place, will still be there only on a skinny person.

I watched this programme thought dr super was an ass and thought the girl polly, was it, was brilliant how well she did given the right resources... also paula seemed to go the same path and realised this wasn't for her.

I have nothing against WLS in general for people who really do need and I am sure it works wonders for those who really appreciate it.

I think that actual practical cookery and nutrition classes would be pretty succesful with teens - and vv good for those with children. I had my son very young and didn't know about cooking or nutrition - I was at Uni and on a v tight budget, then I started working and still didn't know as much as i should. Looking back I wish I'd known about 60% more than I did. My son has grown up fine and strong (6'2" so not starved!) but does still likes a lot of unhealthy food ( not all the time)and thinks veg=poison.

The teenagers who didn't appreciate the opportunity they were being given did annoy me as did the disrespectful comments from the surgical team.
I don't doubt that it was heavily edited for maximum effect, but you can't get away from the fact that the comments were made and i for one would expect more professionalism, especially when being filmed. If i spoke like that on camera about any of my service users i would be disciplined, if not sacked !
I felt most sorry for those about to have surgery with this team as it must have been very unhelpful at a time when they may already be feeling vulnerable and anxious. My advice to them would be to at least try and focus on the fact that the surgeon has a very good track record and is well respected in his field - at the end of the day as much as i want to be treated with respect, its my docs surgical skills that interest me more than his bedside manner ! (and also there are lots of Mr Supers ex patients that highly recommend him)
It would be interesting to hear his point of view about how he was portrayed though - anyone fancy asking him ? !!

im sure alot of pre op patients wil be grilling him on this !

Quetipiana - I didn't feel pain, but a lot of tugging and pulling and of course, heard everything.

Mr. Super's comments may be shocking, but the stark reality is that his behaviour is not in isolation and like I said early in this thread, there is not much an individual can do as they are spark out when it occurs (orout of earshot!).

I don't doubt he will get questioned on it, but I do doubt it will stop or lessen the queue for his services and his table.

By the way i am sure i spotted an over weight nurse in the op team and also one in the team talking about who can and cant have the op talk about pot and kettle lol.

You did. And people may recall he also took the mick out of one of his team for eating crisps in the rest room.

Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that the TV channel paid for her to stay at that boot camp thing...was it not around £30k a year...they probably offered to pay it, if she let them film.

There was a big fund raiser to get her there. But if the TV channel chipped in, I don't think there's an issue with that?

Back