• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CHANNEL 4 9PM

I bet you did, Teen. My sister fell pregnant at 16 n 1971 and it nigh on nearly killed my mother (at least she lasted another 15years...).

The overweight chav was the most memorable of the pregnancy one, but she wasn't the only one featured. It was the general attitude of the teens on the show that tee'd me off.

And sadly, people who do get the op do eat things they shouldn't.

The prgramme makers were hardly going to chose model patients to highlight the issues staff face in treating 'problematic' patients.

Healthcare staff are weary of people who just will not take the advice given. People who simply will not, for whatever reasons they offer (or not as the case may be) accept responsibility for their own health and actions thereof. Ultimately, it is the working population of the UK that continually fund the errant ways of those featured.

The one that said I can not afford fresh food but went out and spent £10+ on a kfc Thats fresh veg for a week or more

I bet you did, Teen. My sister fell pregnant at 16 n 1971 and it nigh on nearly killed my mother (at least she lasted another 15years...).

It made me feel as if I had failed Always been open about sex and said if you are gonna do it we will get something to prevent pregnacies was a complete nightmare

I am not a kid person and never wanna be a nan or a mum again lol

The one that said I can not afford fresh food but went out and spent £10+ on a kfc Thats fresh veg for a week or more

:eek: i thought the same ! half of what she spent on that meal i could of went down the market and got all fresh fruit and veg for approx a fiver.

It annoyed me when he said that the patients come in a lie about what they are eating. So do surgeons think thsi for everyone or what ? I am on a weight management course for 6 months very similar to that and have to do my food diary and stay on xenical. I write down everything i eat and drink some is good some is bad but I dont make it up whats the point ! if I say I have only eaten a salad all day but i really went to kfc and had a meal who am I kidding them or me ?
Beige food - my arse what an idiot Super is not suited to the way he tried to put his point across. In the end he is a surgeon and will be paid accordingly if he hates the job so much get a new one. He said we all start in life the same body size and same weight !!! durr no we dont !!!!! we are all different and all made different surely a man sooo intelligent shoudl know that. He starts by stating he thinks more bands should be available esp to younger people to stop the problems in later life then he says that its the persons problem for being greedy !!!!!
I sort of agree that junk food is cheaper - it is especially for a family and lasts longer than fresh food but we eat all teh same in our house and theres me my hubby and three kids. My husband is 10stone 5 and thats his heaviest, my 2 daughters are slim and son is a baby so hey !! my husband and I eat the same tea drink the same drinks and for lunch I will have a tuna sandwich or ham salad and he will have a burger and crisps and a chocolate bar. I have been with him 13 years and he has only ever been thin, I have only ever been fat. So I am sorry to disagee with many yes you can become obese through eating far too much or doing no excercise BUT there is deffinately a Fat Gene that affects a % of people.

god I go on !!!!
xx

i watched it and have to say was very disscusted of how the surgical team were when the paient was on the operating table, very bad attitude, am so glad mr super is not doing my op, i would be deverstated to think him and his team were saying things like that about me!

I agree we are not all born the same and that was a stupid comment for an intelligent man to make. Some families cannot afford fresh food all the time and I am sure its not just teens that think eating takeaway three times a week is cheaper than buying healthy food. There are many many adults both overweight and underweight that believe the same thing. The programme was highlighting the affects on the NHS from their point of view (in my opinion). I have worked for the NHS, I worked for a top consultant and when people of all ages and from all walks of life were desperately waiting for life changing results that were held in a backlog he would breeze in and tell me he was off to play golf (with other consulants) because the sun was out. I think Mr Super has an inflated ego and a horrible attitude. A lot of surgeons and consultants are the same. However, I have never met the man and he could have been edited to look this way. I would welcome meeting him in person to see if he really is like this. Again this is my opinion and my opinion only....xx

Another thought is I used to be a Rape counsellor and in the monthly meetings I remember two women laughing that a woman had been raped with a chair leg, they joked that they wondered if it had been a chippendale....to me totally not the right time nor the right place..and in case your wondering yes I did voice my opinion...xx

he came across ignorant and rude.

and good on you for speaking up, what an awful thing to say!

.x.

i thought the TV prog was dreadful and the surgeon was so rude about people. and his team i know its nice to laugh and giggle at work and so on but not at other people .. when pointing out look at that fat thats a cake !! or what ever .. that was very rude.

and when that woman came down and was walking by he remarked ah looks like thats another one of mine !! so rude ..

and to show the girl eating on her pre op and then doing her op does not do justice for his pre op bander's cause that could tell them ahh its OK look what she ate and got it .

i thought it was bad bad bad.

and the dietitian i thought was not really helping them girls he was just telling them what they had to do .. we all know what you have to do but its not as easy as that .. its OK being a skinny thing that he was telling someone who has issues with food to stop eating !!

people need more help and advice than asking them to take home some forms and write down what you eat. if someone is eating that much there not going to tell you on paper !

the girl who lost a few stone i bet since the documentary was made she has gained and still wanting the band ..

and surgery is not the easy way out.

Hi everyone,
I agree that the programme really did make WLS patients look bad - lazy-greedy-poor diets-expecting someone else to make it all ok - wasting NHS money etc. I think maybe that this was a lot to do with the fact that it was focussed on teens. Most (not all!) teens haven't been through years and years of torment, effort, and despair on the old Weight Loss trail -obviously because they are v. young.
I think the prog failed to get accross that for most people WLS is the last resort. We have tried and succeeded many times to lose many many stones and then yo-yod back up again Blah Blah.

It also failed to get accross that if you don't work hard with your WLS, you can balls it all up. I question giving the girl who had McDs on Pre-op diet WLS. She clearly was not prepared mentally or practically. I think she should have had lessons on cooking, nutrients etc.
If WLS fails - and she didn't seem all that engaged with the whole operation and it's implications at all- where does she go from there?. She wasn't chuffed to bits like everyone here that she'd been given a rare prize that could make her life better.

I thought Mr Super came over quite badly and the unpleasant remarks in the op theatre was upsetting. However, I guess any team working in a stressful environment develops a certain amount of Graveyard humour. Still, an uncomfortable feeling that I was in theatre a month ago and maybe the surgical team took the p*ss out of me.

I am going to have biro on my belly for my op saying shut your mouth I have a hidden camera !!! LOL

I am going to have biro on my belly for my op saying shut your mouth I have a hidden camera !!! LOL

LMTO!

I was very unforrtunate enough to be conscious whilst under general anaesthesia a long time ago and I heard comments about my body that had I havce been fully compos mentis, would have made me blush or punch their lights out. They knew I was telling the truth when I said I was aware because I was able to recall what they said about me!

It wasn't me that blushed!

The whole thinking behind the series is how young people ABUSE the NHS and I think this came across very well, yes Mr Super did come acroos as very arogant and obnoxious, but he is a good and experienced surgeon. Teens especially want things now and on their terms, and this must be a very frustrating thing to have to deal with as they need help and think that they are being all grown up nd mature about things, but then show the opposite that they are stiil kids because they rebel against what authority (in this case drs and nurses) say will help them. I enjoyed it but it did infuriate me as far as the attitudes of the teens were concerned.

pah. (lol this prog still bugs me)

adults abuse the nhs just as much as teens, infact ive got to say any time ive been unlycky enough to b in a&e on a friday night (might i add not from drink.. im just pure clumsy) its been mainly grown men in there usually with bottles of larger in hand. (though maybe thats just s****horpe and inverness lol.. think if i had to live in either place full time id drink lol)

adults are just as bad as teens, the show made it seem like teens are the main threat to the nhs... rubbish.

I agree young people are taking the mick a wee bit.

I think the whole thing was negative, and i know thats how it was ment to be, its just a shame that its always bad press.

Its just sad that the opinion i walked away with, was that Dr Super was rude, and didn't much care for his job or the peole he was helping. I'm sure he's not like that all the time, but I don't think i'd go on tv and say some of the things he did.

Seems a lot of people think the same about his attitude (And im sure theres others who totally disagree)... it's just my opinion...

We (the people on this forum) understand what is envolved in wls and relise its hard, and we all know why we got here, all be it for different reasons... but there are a lot of people out there totally ignorant to it (not in a bad way, it's just not something they have come across) and sadly, a lot of them will be left with a jarred opinion of wls patients after that prog, which isn't great.

:(

.x.

The whole thinking behind the series is how young people ABUSE the NHS and I think this came across very well, yes Mr Super did come acroos as very arogant and obnoxious, but he is a good and experienced surgeon. Teens especially want things now and on their terms, and this must be a very frustrating thing to have to deal with as they need help and think that they are being all grown up nd mature about things, but then show the opposite that they are stiil kids because they rebel against what authority (in this case drs and nurses) say will help them. I enjoyed it but it did infuriate me as far as the attitudes of the teens were concerned.
I agree with what you said - unfortunately people just see FAT and not the person or how old they are. People are overweight/obese for a number of reasons i.e. they just pig out on food, illness, medication, lack of exercise due to illness (and so it goes). None of use if given the chance would have elected to be obese or have the type of surgery we are prepared to have on a whim, but as i said before people see fat and think you are thick and stupid. They don't talk to the person they talk to the fat - it's similar if you have a disabiltity. What are people frightened of???? becoming obese if you talk to an obese person or become disabled???? It's about time a tv programme was done on the REAL people who have surgical weight loss and see the years of trying to lose weight conventionally only to fail time and time again!!!! Always having a smile on your face when you pick yourself up again and pretending just how gorgeous you are (well in my case it's true) when all you want to be is the real you. I look in a mirror and i do not see me - but someone else who sounds like me. Well i've got that off my chest - hayho!!!!

Hi Mr super was the one who did my op i have to say he was very nice.I am glad he did mine one of the best in the country but i do think it was wrong to take the mick out of fat people.I dont think they should of showed this.But one of the reasons i want to be thiner is because people in general make over weight people feel like they have no place in society.I think this is wrong but feel this will get worse not better because of the goverments views.I feel it is because we are an easy target to take the heat away from the mess they have made.Like i said in another post if it was about other human problems someone would be screaming human rights.lol

By the way i am sure i spotted an over weight nurse in the op team and also one in the team talking about who can and cant have the op talk about pot and kettle lol.

Back