• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Chewing gum

janice123

I've read on here that you can't have chewing gum, just wondered why you can't!? Think I'm going to miss chewing gum as I go through loads of it!

I know I was told that I shouldn't have chewing gum as
a) The chewing action stimulates gastric juices and appetite
b) If you swallow it accidentally, then it can block up your new pouch..

b) Actually happened to me, it meant an endoscopy and a lot of embarrassment and discomfort.

I must admit though, that I do still chew gum albeit very carefully, and would find it hard to go without it, as I have chewed gum ever since I gave up the cigarettes back in February 2012.

I chew gum very frequently. Was told by my hospital to avoid it forever but I assumed that was because incase I swallowed it.

Haven't ever swallowed a piece and chewing it hasn't hampered my weight loss. There was just one time where it started going down my throat but was able to cough it back up before it went down completely.

If you are worried that you will likely swallow it then I'd say avoid it. I've never been one of those people who swallow gum so I guess it's 'hardwired' in to me to spit it in to the bin.

Thanks for the advice. I don't ever swallow chewing gum but think ill limit how much I have, ie when I really want it!...best stock up on mints ;0)

After my bypass did try it couple of times but ended up with bad tummy think it was wind, juyst had it no morw wasnt worth the pain xx

Back