• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

christmas dinner

belbouteloup

hi folks
Just wondering what you guys will be rustling up for your very merry bypass Christmas lunch ?

hiya well when my daughters come round for xmas dinner i will be having a little peace of chicken breast 1 roast potato maybe 2 tablespoons of mash potato a little bit of stuffing some sweetcorn and garden peas and a splash of gravy i bet i wont finish it :wave_cry:lol.it's been nearly 6 weeks since my op and this is going to be my first proper meal omg i cant wait

I dont know what I am having as I am working one of the girls I work with is bringing me some dinner in....turkey or chicken goes down quite well though lol...xx

It is just me & my husband for christmas so I am doing a non-traditional dinner. We do ours at night & have appetizers during the day. I will cook all of this on Christmas Eve & we will eat it through Boxing Day. Mind you my portions will be very tiny.

Appetizers:
Shrimp with mustard dip
Healthy deviled eggs
Raw veg with spicy yogurt dip
Sausage balls (my one indulgence that I plan, store bought and all)

Dinner:
Marinated pork loin w/creamy sauce
Roasted winter veg
Spiced whipped sweet potatoes w/toasted pecans
Sugar-free cranberry sauce

Sweets:
Cream Cheese Cookies
Fresh Fruit Parfait or
Sugar-free Apple dumplings (haven't decided)
Might make some sugar-free fudge, we'll see

I have a band but my dinner will be traditonal. I have my future-in-laws over and my fiances nan, so doing a full blown normal dinner.

Starters - Prawn Cocktail
Main - Turkey, sausages wrapped with bacon, stuffing, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, gravy, roast spuds, roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots.
Dessert - Mince Pies, Christmas Pudding, baileys Mousse Dessert, cream, brandy butter, brandy sauce.
Cheese and Biscuits
Coffee and Mints.

I plan to have a little of everything and not feel guilty at all.
So that's the only meal I will eat that day....

PG and CB you both seem like really good cooks/chefs. are you trained professionally or self taught? Im a basic cook hence the weight gain and junk food compulsion x

My mum taught me loads - we were always encouraged to learn. We also did a lot of "home economics" at school in my day.

I have also worked as a cook in a nursing home and as an assistant in various restaurant kitchens.

My brother is a Michelin Star chef too, which helps.

But I am self taught. It's all about having a go and not being afraid to try something new. I bought myself a very basic recipe book and started there.

Don't get me wrong tho, I love junk just as much as the next person.

But Have almost weaned myself off it.

I am self taught too. I was addicted to food programs since I was little, I think my mom says I started cooking at about 7 or 8 years old (that is also when I started being obese - oh no is that the reason??). :8855::8855::8855:

I love to experiment and it is what I suggest to anyone who knows the basics. Just try different things and throw out the icky ones or pass them off to your family (my hubs will eat almost anything) hehehe. Really just give stuff a try. The internet is a beautiful thing, many sites have how-to videos along with the recipes so it is like your own personal cooking class! Be adventurous and it pays off.

P.S. - most recipes I post are stolen from the internet & books, don't tell on me okay?:p

Pg what do you marinade your pork in and how do you make your creamy sauce ?might give it a whirl on Sunday ?

Marinated Pork Loin

Ingredients:

• 1360 g lean pork tenderloin
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red onion, minced
  • 15 g finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 45 ml Dijon mustard
  • 80 ml dry white wine
  • 60 ml plain yogurt low-fat or fat free
  • 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
  • 10 g salt
  • 2 g freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 g crushed red pepper flakes
  • 0.8 g dried oregano
  • 0.4 g dried basil
  • 0.7 g dried thyme
  • 1.5 cubes chicken bouillon, crushed
  • 45 ml fresh lemon juice

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C
  2. Place the pork tenderloin in a deep baking dish. Mix together the garlic, onion, parsley, mustard, wine, yogurt, olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, thyme, bouillon, and lemon juice in a bowl; pour over the pork. Cover the entire dish with aluminum foil.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until internal temperature has reached 70 degrees C, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
  4. Remove the tenderloin from the dish and cover with aluminum foil on a cutting board. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Reserve the sauce from the dish and serve on the side. You can make it more of a proper sauce by adding a little more yogurt.

Nic how do you make the spicy yoghurt dip? That is something I could take into work with me...xx

This is a simple recipe that can be made in minutes and adjusted to your fav spice:

Simple Spicy Yogurt Dip

2 tsp chopped chipotle chillies (without seeds unless you want your eyes to water!)
200ml/7fl oz low-fat yoghurt* (greek style from ASDA works well, less runny)
squeeze of lemon or lime juice
¼ red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Cajun spice seasoning (very hot), or Indian seasoning (medium hot) or Caribbean seasoning (mildly hot)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Chill for 1 hour before serving.

*If yogurt looks runny, drain excess liquid and then stir before adding other ingredients. If it still looks runny you can add a tablespoon of low-fat cream cheese to make it a more 'solid' dip.

It is just me & my husband for christmas so I am doing a non-traditional dinner. We do ours at night & have appetizers during the day. I will cook all of this on Christmas Eve & we will eat it through Boxing Day. Mind you my portions will be very tiny.

Appetizers:
Shrimp with mustard dip
Healthy deviled eggs
Raw veg with spicy yogurt dip
Sausage balls (my one indulgence that I plan, store bought and all)

Dinner:
Marinated pork loin w/creamy sauce
Roasted winter veg
Spiced whipped sweet potatoes w/toasted pecans
Sugar-free cranberry sauce

Sweets:
Cream Cheese Cookies
Fresh Fruit Parfait or
Sugar-free Apple dumplings (haven't decided)
Might make some sugar-free fudge, we'll see

wow honey thats some menu, hope you enjoy, for me I'll be sticking to my slimfast and soup, depending on what my surgeon says on Monday

I does sound like a ton of food I know. :eek::eek:After I posted it I thought oh good god do I think I am feeding 12:eek::eek::eek:? But then I remembered that my hubbs is NOT a bypasser and will enjoy the variety minus all the sugar & fat he would normally have at holiday time. Also, most everything I make will freeze well (I can use my brand new freezer - yippie) so I can put it away for a festive New Year's meal.

Also, the fact is that I LOVE to cook so it kinda a fun traditional way for me to celebrate. That does not mean that I will eat all of the things I prepare that day but I can have a taste and not worry about dumping.

I hope you enjoy your holiday and take some joy in the fact that next holiday season you will be sooo much thinner & healthy.

Take care Alia.
:pNic

im a band girl so will be eating a little of everything

im married to a chef so Xmas dinners are a legendary banquet of festive fun lol and always meen weight gain for me :mad::D:D,but hopeing this will be my last year this size and eating till i burst at xmas lol

This is a simple recipe that can be made in minutes and adjusted to your fav spice:

Simple Spicy Yogurt Dip

2 tsp chopped chipotle chillies (without seeds unless you want your eyes to water!)
200ml/7fl oz low-fat yoghurt* (greek style from ASDA works well, less runny)
squeeze of lemon or lime juice
¼ red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Cajun spice seasoning (very hot), or Indian seasoning (medium hot) or Caribbean seasoning (mildly hot)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Chill for 1 hour before serving.

*If yogurt looks runny, drain excess liquid and then stir before adding other ingredients. If it still looks runny you can add a tablespoon of low-fat cream cheese to make it a more 'solid' dip.

Thanks chick, I think this will come in very handy......xx

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm going to my mums for xmas day!
I will have a tiny roast pork dinner as I don't like turkey and then Im hoping to squeeze in son raspberry roulade for afters!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well today I had my first of three Christmas dinners and I managed:-

8 prawns from the prawns cocktail, 1 bit of lettuce, a quarter slice of bred.

2 slices turkey, 2 roast potatoes, 4 sprouts, 7 slices of carrot, a bit of stuffing, a cocktail sausage wrapped in bacon and gravy

1/2 small mince pie with brandy butter and a little cream...

When I think of what used to fall down my neck.....LOL

Back