• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Close to op but losing motivation

angelica13

Hi,

Just really wanted to find out if others had felt like me.
I am expecting my bypass towards the end of July, so should have a date around a month from now.
I have kept my weight fairly steady along the process, each time I went to hospital I had lost a couple of pounds.
I have at a couple of points put on 4-5 pounds, which I have had to work really hard to get back off quickly, just in case I got an appointment. I did slimfast around the time of my endoscopy to make sure I was under the previous weight.
Recently, I have been doing really well following the Dukan diet. However, I have started to feel queasy on the protein only days, so have been trying to just eat sensibly. But - I am obviously better when it's "all or nothing" as if I am not following a strict regime, I begin to pick and cheat, and start to put weight back on. Every time I do this, I feel guilty, and, frankly, useless. Then I start to wonder if I will be able to do it after my op.
I think half of me knows I need to be taking steps to eat better now, so it's not so tough after. I have managed to keep up with some better habits - cutting out sugar in tea and coffee, not baking or buying cakes or biscuits etc. But the other half of me wants to eat things now in case I can't afterwards! I am especially bad at friends or familys get togethers, when everything is laid out in front of you!

I obviously have my own answer here, don't I? I need to follow a strict diet - and give it my "all"!

I guess I just want to know that people who have had their ops were like this before, or that I'm not the only pre-opper who is doing a bit of weight yo-yoing.

Thanks,
Emma
x

Hi I am having a similar problem. I have an appointment in July in order to get on the waiting list and I have to have lost 10lb. I did loose 19lb but have put on about 5. I am really worried as away next week, and then have a fortnights all inclusive in Lanzarote end of June before my weigh in. I think it is called self sabotage. I am going to try the cereal diet for two meals to get some of this fat off. I think its a common issue for people who have been overweight for a long time, like me.

I feel exactly the same as you Emma. My op should be due around the same time as you. It's been a long journey and if I'm honest, I'm really fed up of waiting now. I find myself eating what I want again now, as I've come to think what's the point ?

Angelica, just noticed you are getting yoour surgery at Sunderland, me too (if I make it to the waiting list!) How long have you waited on the waiting list?

I went through all the same thoughts pre op.

Post op is not a walk in the park. But it's different to dieting pre op. I can't explain it. But now my mind is more settled I am very pleased I had my bypass.

Good luck with getting your head back in gear. It will be worth it in the end x

Last edited:
I absolutely agree fuffs. I managed to lose nearly 3 stone pre-op, and wondered if I would be able to manage post-op. However once you are post-op, I feel completely different, I have no hunger, and food doesn't occupy my mind at all, whereas before it dominated my thoughts. The work you do up to the op is hard, but worth it. I think that because I was able to maintain a strict diet before, means that I don't have any of the 'head hunger' that people have mentioned and I don't crave for anything. Having said that I am only 2 weeks post op, but have no regrets at all. Stay strong, it will be worth it.

I feel exactly the same as you Emma. My op should be due around the same time as you. It's been a long journey and if I'm honest, I'm really fed up of waiting now. I find myself eating what I want again now, as I've come to think what's the point ?

Yes, I keep almost giving up, thinking why not eat what I want to? I got really excited when newcy had her date the other day as things were moving on, but then a couple of days later and it feels so far away again.
Thanks for sharing, it helps a lot to know that other people feel the same as I do. In the overall length of time, we are so close now. Let's hope it goes quickly for us. x

Angelica, just noticed you are getting yoour surgery at Sunderland, me too (if I make it to the waiting list!) How long have you waited on the waiting list?

I went to my seminar in Oct 2010, saw the team again (nurses) in Feb 11. I then had my surgeon appointment put back from August to Nov 11. I had my endoscopy in Jan 12, when they said it would be 4 months to op. Then heard that it will be 6 months to op, so overall it will be 21 months from seminar to op. Hopefully, NO longer!
Good luck with your appointment, and hopefully your journey will be shorter and a bit smoother!
Em x

Thank you all for your posts. I tend to be a positive person, but there are times when it gets really hard with my weight! As understanding as my family are, I think they still just think, give yourself a shake and lose it, it's not that hard!!
It definitely helps to share, and hear other people's stories too.
Thanks again,
Emma x

jenny17 said:
I absolutely agree fuffs. I managed to lose nearly 3 stone pre-op, and wondered if I would be able to manage post-op. However once you are post-op, I feel completely different, I have no hunger, and food doesn't occupy my mind at all, whereas before it dominated my thoughts. The work you do up to the op is hard, but worth it. I think that because I was able to maintain a strict diet before, means that I don't have any of the 'head hunger' that people have mentioned and I don't crave for anything. Having said that I am only 2 weeks post op, but have no regrets at all. Stay strong, it will be worth it.

I am the same. I lost nearly 6 st pre op and am not having head hunger. I am 8 weeks post op. so hoping it stays that way lol

angelica13 said:
Thank you all for your posts. I tend to be a positive person, but there are times when it gets really hard with my weight! As understanding as my family are, I think they still just think, give yourself a shake and lose it, it's not that hard!!
It definitely helps to share, and hear other people's stories too.
Thanks again,
Emma x

Our pleasure chick :)

I am exactly the same, I have a cruise next week which i am looking forward to, BUT I go for my pre med on the monday after I get back on the Sunday, I am trying so hard not to put on weight. I am going to be sensible on holiday but I think I'll pack the xenical just in case. I am two weeks away from pre op and 5 lbs less than my last weigh in, but I know I can put more than five pounds on in a week :(

I am exactly the same, I have a cruise next week which i am looking forward to, BUT I go for my pre med on the monday after I get back on the Sunday, I am trying so hard not to put on weight. I am going to be sensible on holiday but I think I'll pack the xenical just in case. I am two weeks away from pre op and 5 lbs less than my last weigh in, but I know I can put more than five pounds on in a week :(

That's really bad timing for you, isn't it?
But - you will feel very satisfied with yourself when you come back and haven't put weight on. You are so close now.
I could avoid fatty foods on xenical, as I refused to risk the side effects! However, then I stupidly would choose not to take it.
Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

I'm exactly the same hun - I lose weight for an appointment but then put some back on and then I have to lose it all over again for the next appointment.

I'm an all or nothing girl too which I think will be good post-op but my mindset is already changing now that I know I have a date. You don't have too much longer to go now - hang in there hun x

I think part of the change is that you can distinguish much more clearly between head hunger and a need for food. And for me I know if it's less than 3 hours I can't be hungry. Also I'm not tempted by food unless I actually see it.

Not really had head hunger. I crave liquids more . Which is ok. As I have NAS cordial or a cuppa lol

Thanks all, I have decided to go back to slimfast - it should only be a matter of weeks.

Am currently resisting eating some Ben 10 cupcakes that my Mum has brought for my 5 year old. He didn't even want one - I've had to wrap them up and put them away! Grrrrrrrr. :)

Back