• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

coeliac possibly

janie32

I wasnt sure what part of the forum to place this thread in....

I have just been referred to the RVI, going end of november re my allergy problems. Keep having allergic rash reactions. Some lasting up to two weeks.

WHen i was 20 i was diagnosed with IBS. However lately I have been wondering if it ISNT IBS at all.

I now have 4 comfirmed cases of coeliac in my family, brother n cousins.
I am wondering if i was misdiagnosed....

as a child my mum tells me i was always "funny" with dairy, getting upset tummies and rashes sometimes.

I get a LOT of symptoms of Coeliac, which I always wrote off to other medical issues.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, and i can waffle on forever lol I am going to book an appointment to see my gp next week.

THe whole point of my thred is IF i have coeliac would it stop me having gastric surgery? Have to admit i would be gutted it if would stop it. After last months seminar I was even more determined i AM Doing the right thing, going down the right path!

I'm sorry that i can't answer your question about whether it would affect your surgery. However, I too have coeliac type issues...I definately do better on a gluten free diet. I have relatives with the condition. I asked for the blood test which came back negative (as it did with other members of my family), but had it explained that without a biopsy it couldn't be ruled out completely.

I had my gastric sleeve done in December 2010. The hospital knew about my blood tests but refused to do the biopsy. They continued with surgery regardless. Its the best decision I ever made. Hard. But really good.

Since then i have had problems with gallstones and protracted vomiting. So I am now having the biopsy to see if coeliacs is an issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Remember NOT to go gluten free without a test...you can get a false negative.

Take care.
Hannah

Back