• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coffee preventing weightloss???

kellyhymas

Went to see consultant sunderland last week. given last chance to loose stone and half in three months then go back to see him.

Went today to my nurse to be weighed and attend the weightloss clinic. Which is basically my nurse weighs me asks me how am doing, gives me tips on eating etc.

My diet looks okay apart from having too much proteins. breaky beans on toast,. lunch jacket tuna and tea chicken and veg. so have to cut the protein down to two a day.

But she also asked how much coffee i drink and sometimes i have started to drink more coffee when am hungry to kerb the feeling of eating snacks. i usually have one on a morning. maybe 1 to 2 at work. then one when am home and maybe another on afternoon. so 6-7 cups a day. with 1% milk and 2 sweeteners. She mentioned that the caffeine isn't helping me loose weight. so i said how about if i switch to decaf and she said drink water. I like my coffee on morning to give me some energy. i dont mind switching to de caf the rest of the day. maybe have only one cup at work. and a bottle water, so i wil try to reduce it. but am confused on how it can prevent weight loss? anyone know? i have tried to look it up on google and seem to get that caffeine can speed up metabolism etc so what do you all think ? xxx

New one to me! I'm the same with tea and it's only way I get liquid down me as to this date have never had a glass of water! Yet I've done well enough!

i cant drink plain water.... yuk.... im not a coffee drinker... but drink lots of tea... and i havnt had a problem with weightloss so far... i was advised decaf is better... but the following all class as fluids...
Tea
Coffee
Hot chocolate
Olvatine
Nas squash
Cuppa soups with bits spooned out
and there is plenty more which can be added to ths list xx

Never heard that one! I drink coffee black with no sugar, strong enough to stand a spoon up in and it hasn't stopped me losing, not had ANY plain water since op!

Coffee is a diuretic, so some people say that the liquid intake gain from coffee is not offset by the diuretic effect (dehydrating effect). In my experience I can't have more than 3 cups coffee in a row before I start to feel quite thirsty and my mouth feels gummy. Maybe this is what your dietician meant? You will retain water if your body isn't getting enough fluid.

Balanc eit with everyother drink being water to flush through,cant see it myself.Im more concerned you are cutting down on protien,there is nothing wrong with lots of protien.You should cut carbs,fats and high sugars.But not completely.

Big an Bouncy said:
Balanc eit with everyother drink being water to flush through,cant see it myself.Im more concerned you are cutting down on protien,there is nothing wrong with lots of protien.You should cut carbs,fats and high sugars.But not completely.

I totally agree!

And yes, baked beans have protein in them, but are also carbs. So wouldn't class them as a 'protein' as in pure.

The lady sounds like she just was a bit picky to me

Are you as I suspect pre op? if so post oppers saying coffee hasn't affected their weight loss are missing the chuffin point here, post op its easy to lose weight especially in the first year so telling a pre opper it hasn't affected you is hardly helpful is it?

Is this nurse a qualified dietician? She told you to reduce protein intake?

I would normally say always go with your teams advice but I'd want a second opinion before I'd listen to her. Protein is the dieters friend, pre or post op, it is harder for it to be stored as fat, and it makes you feel fuller for longer. I've never heard any dietician ever recommend just two servings of protein yet three of carbohydrate per day

Caffeine is a stimulant and speeds up your metabolism. The problem with lots of coffee intake is that caffeine changes your mood and the buzz can lead to lowered resistance to the food type pressures that us fat gits have to deal with each day. It can also hinder the natural cleaning effect our guts go through in the early mornings as caffeine stops the process of natural cleansing.

It also can hinder weight loss if we take lots of milk or cream and sugar in it but you would only need to change to fat free milk and add it sparingly rather than semi skimmed. Also to prevent the diuretic effect of lots of caffeine you should take a glass of water after each cup. I used to drink a lot of coffee before I got ill, I drink less now but I do think seven cups a day might be over doing it and maybe you should cut down a little

But again I would want to speak to a proper dietician before I'd listen to the advice of this nurse

Hi, just to add my penny's worth;) I thought that there was a link between caffiene and insulin resistance - a quick google produced the following - sure you can probably find more. Thought I'd remembered something about this from my VLCD days..

Coffee and Caffeine hinder weight loss

Yes, it can do. Some people lose additional pounds after stopping coffee or caffeine. Studies have shown that caffeine (as in coffee and some sodas) contributes to insulin resistance (thus making it harder to lose weight), increases appetite (again making it harder to lose weight) and contributes to food cravings (making it difficult to adhere to a weight loss diet). In those studies, even decaffeinated coffee is shown to be detrimental to weight loss.

Caffeine also interferes with GABA and prevents it from performing its calming duties in the human body. This then increases physiological and psychological stress (often associated with both overeating and difficulty adhering to a weight loss diet). Those who are trying to lose body fat (weight) would do well to avoid caffeine.

Many overweight people, particularly those who have frequently 'dieted' and lost weight only to regain it later, are insulin resistant. Unfortunately, many people are insulin resistant without being aware of it. If you have insulin resistance, using caffeine will further affect your metabolism. It will have the opposite outcome of what you want.

In the long term, avoiding caffeine will help to boost your metabolism. You can naturally increase your metabolism in a significant way by eliminating or limiting refined processed carbohydrates (apart from the occasional treat) and replacing them with 'fat burning' foods.

Food for thought - excuse the pun;)

I'm not going to waste time cutting and pasting from the net but your search would hve shown you that for every study that claims caffeine hampers weight loss there is one that claims the complete opposite. Most diet pills I believe are in fact caffeine based are they not. Like everything in life if taken in moderation coffee is not a problem, it's when we go overboard that we mess it up

I couldn't go without my 10 cups of tea a day, never been a fizzy pop drinker so fine with that. But it's in our heritage up in Newcastle to have pots of tea, we even got it in a bottle off my nanna when we were little lol. My nanna was stick thin and she drank more tea than anyone I knew also my sisters normal weight. So don't think theirs any link with caffeine weight. I think it's more about what milk you use and sugar. If use good milk no sugar you should be fine x

Back