• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

condiment question....

WitchInWorthing

Hi everyone - I have a quick question: I am a chilli fiend (vindaloo etc) once I have had my op (eventually, but I know I will get there) and I have been through the liquid and sloppy diet stages, will I be allowed / be able to add spice/garlic/chillies to my food for flavour? Will it be painful or irritate my stomach etc because of the change in digestion?

If I have to give them up then I will, I just want to know if that will be asked of me....

Thanks
E xxx

It not a problem in my experience, I lived on pureed chilli and curries during the puree stage. And once I was on normal I could have spicy things no problem.

I was warned I may not be able to tolerate spicey food. I love a bit of spice but not too much chilli as my sense of taste (and smell) has increased massively. So I find I don't need as much to taste my food. Curried lentil soup was my lifesaver on the puréed stage.

I can take spicy food no problem. For me it's important to have some flavour, I hate bland food.

I would not have got through the sloppy food stage without plenty of spices. I use them all chilli garlic ginger cumin etc. all no problem for me. I had a bypass and didn't notice any difference in my ability to tolerate spice.

Yep don't worry, I don't think many people have a problem with spice, I make my own home made chilli's and curries all the time. Fresh herbs, chilli peppers and fat free greek yoghurt with tofu. turkey or lamb is great. Just a few months out of surgery and I was eating that. As for the puree stage I probably played it safe but depending on what your provider says you might be up to adding some spices to your soup and puree. I actually find I have more of a taste for hot spices since my bypass, I can taste things a lot more and have starting enjoying adding hot sauces to my chicken which I never would have done before and the good thing is they are low in calories and fat! :)

That is so brilliant - I was worried it would be plain mash and grilled chicken for the rest of my life (rushes out to plant more chilli plants in the garden)

Thank you everyone for the answers .... have a great weekend!!!

E xxx

Back