• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And we are off ...

jay_hl

So, I've gone and done it. Sleeve on the 2nd Feb, and to be honest, I'm absolutely bricking it!

Not sure I've done the right thing, at all. I have had cold feet before, and canceled it, however this time feels slightly different.

I know I'm in for a bumpy ride, but I worry its far more bumpy than even I expect.

Jay

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Yay. Congratulations !

Its only natural to feel nervous but you'll be fine x

jay_hl

Go you. what's made you cancel in the past x
I was kind of rushed into it. Came away from the initial consultation needing to start pre op straight away, and hadn't talked to my family at that point, or put plans in place post op for recovery.

I am wondering if I should have one more chance loosing it by diet and exercise rather than relying on surgery. It seems like a drastic measure at times, but one that 4 surgeons have agreed needs to happen.

FeeBee

Good luck :)

Kar8858

Do what you feel is right for you and where you are in life..I decided I would never lose the weight long term and live a cycle of binge eating. Due to my job I physically could not allow myself to gain anymore weight without risking disciplinary action hence I hadn't gained up to a higher weight like others. Otherwise I would have been somewhere in the high teens I am sure, so I decided to go private and have the surgery. My desire to binge is still there but I'm not physically capable so it has sorted that. I have dropped down to a very low bmi and not put a pound back on but it is still hard work and needs will power as you can cheat your tool very easily. Have a good think what's right for you x

jay_hl

Im still feeling like this is the right decision, which is good, and I'm fully expecting a mini panic between now and Thursday.

The one thing I haven't really sorted out in my head yet is what to say to friends and work colleagues. What is my "party line"?

When I get back into the swing of things in a months time, I will inevitably have some business lunches and dinners to attend. Anyone got any tips on how to skirt this possibly embarrassing situation?

Jay

SAM55

Im still feeling like this is the right decision, which is good, and I'm fully expecting a mini panic between now and Thursday.

The one thing I haven't really sorted out in my head yet is what to say to friends and work colleagues. What is my "party line"?

When I get back into the swing of things in a months time, I will inevitably have some business lunches and dinners to attend. Anyone got any tips on how to skirt this possibly embarrassing situation?

Jay
Be honest - I have had nothing but support. Sometimes for people whom I didn't know, I just used the term stomach surgery and therefore was on a limited diet. You will have month to contemplate your story whilst you are recovering.

Go for it, prevarication never achieves anything. :rolleyes:

Hannah2

Do you get to chose where the business lunches are? If so, somewhere that does sharing dishes is good - Chinese, tapas, Mexican, that way you are not staring at a big plate of food and sending it away looking like you haven't eaten anything.

And yes, I have done the same - said I have had stomach surgery. They might work it out but so what??!!

elizaxx

I haven't told many people, and am not very open about it, I have sometimes said stomach surgery, or just make sure I pick something light. I've actually been surprised by how little people have noticed how much I'm eating, usually they don't take any notice :)

sandra overton

So, I've gone and done it. Sleeve on the 2nd Feb, and to be honest, I'm absolutely bricking it!

Not sure I've done the right thing, at all. I have had cold feet before, and canceled it, however this time feels slightly different.

I know I'm in for a bumpy ride, but I worry its far more bumpy than even I expect.

Jay
good luck for tomorrow x

jay_hl

So I've come out of the other side. The hard work starts now. Just arrived home and resting taking in fluids. It's all gone well, and the surgeons were very pleased with the outcome.

I've come home with a small pharmacy's worth of tablets, and a bit apprehensive about injecting myself for two weeks. We will see.

Finally, two words. Gas pain. Oh my gosh. It's certainly been the worst bit. No pain what so ever from 5 incisions or the stomach, but the gas stuff is out of this world.

Last edited:

Hannah2

Hi @jay_hl welcome to the losers bench! Glad it went ok.

I was lucky and didn't suffer from gas pain but it can be bad. Walking around is good as well as drinking peppermint tea.

Important thing to start with is rest and keeping fluids up - keep sipping! It will get easier and you will be able to swallow more than a sip but it takes time!

FeeBee

Congratulations @jay_hl :)
I second what @Hannah2 says about sipping at fluids as much as possible and walking or moving as much as you can to help with the gas pains. Hopefully you'll feel better and better as the next few days progress x

MrsN

Congratulations!! Keep sipping. It gets easier.

jay_hl

So an update. I cant believe how little wound pain I have. I would almost say I have been pain free from this since waking up after the op! Amazing. I came off the pain killers 3 days early as I didnt believe I should be taking them, if I didn't need them.

What I am still struggling with is a pain every single time I drink/eat soup. Its a pain which hurts as any liquid is going down. At first I thought this was gas pain, but I'm starting to think its not that. I also dont think its reflux pain, as its when liquid is going down. The nurses think its where the sizing tube which goes down your throat has caused the esophagus to be sensitive, and will settle down soon. Fingers crossed.

Im on about 1100 mls a day at the moment of Slimfast, Soup, Orange Squash. Worryingly I have start having cravings for my ex lifestyle of junk food. Adverts on TV for KFC and Pizza are not exactly helping, but im staying strong. Not sure how I'm going to cope with another 3 weeks of liquid and puree, before back to "normal food".

Jay

sandra overton

So an update. I cant believe how little wound pain I have. I would almost say I have been pain free from this since waking up after the op! Amazing. I came off the pain killers 3 days early as I didnt believe I should be taking them, if I didn't need them.

What I am still struggling with is a pain every single time I drink/eat soup. Its a pain which hurts as any liquid is going down. At first I thought this was gas pain, but I'm starting to think its not that. I also dont think its reflux pain, as its when liquid is going down. The nurses think its where the sizing tube which goes down your throat has caused the esophagus to be sensitive, and will settle down soon. Fingers crossed.

Im on about 1100 mls a day at the moment of Slimfast, Soup, Orange Squash. Worryingly I have start having cravings for my ex lifestyle of junk food. Adverts on TV for KFC and Pizza are not exactly helping, but im staying strong. Not sure how I'm going to cope with another 3 weeks of liquid and puree, before back to "normal food".

Jay
well done to you just think of the future

jay_hl

So we are now on Day 38 and I'm still on a massive learning curve.

I now feel like I'm back on normal food but portion size is becoming very difficult to adjust to. There have been about 6 times where I have overeaten so much, that I feel quite awful and had to lie down. So for instance I mentally want a massive pizza but cannot finish more than one slice before feeling full. Which, when your used to a full pizza, it's difficult to reset. It is all strange as it's a head hunger I still need to tackle.

Eating out is a massive challenge. There has been a lot of wasted food which I don't like, but just need to get used to. I have lots of business lunches and dinners which I need to understand how to deal with.

Still dealing with some excess stomach acid at times, and some pain when eating and drinking.

Weight plateaued with no loss for about 2 weeks which was very annoying. It made me think about if I've done the right thing which wasn't great time. Things started moving again.