• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass or Sleeve? Whose Choice???

Hi, I was wondering how many of you decided to have one particular operation but was refused by the surgeon and offered another one instead. The reason I ask this is when I first went to the hospital I was interested in the Band but upon hearing the information, pros and cons of each and bearing in mind my own particular circumstances I decided to go for the gastric bypass. However at my second appointment with the hospital the DR said that it might have to be a sleeve due to my size, and later a Gastric Bypass when my BMI was reduced. I did say that I would not choose this but was advised that it would be a "technical decision"

So my question is

Those of you that had a sleeve operation, was it your choice or the dr's decision and if it was the dr's decision was that because of how high your BMI was?

Hi, sorry I can't answer your question as I'm a bander. I have seen here before that some have had a sleeve before having a bypass and many of them have decided they're happy enough with just the sleeve. Hopefully some one will be here soon to help you. Good luck on your journeyxxx

I've had the sleeve but it was the surgeons decision. He went in with the intention of doing a bypass but I was too big inside so he had to do the sleeve instead.

Saying that, I am very happy with my weight loss so far. 4 stone in the first 6 weeks. Probably the same in the last 3 months but I have a weigh in on the 12th November so I can see how much for definite!

If your surgeon thinks that it is not safe to do a full bypass for you because of a high BMI then they can refuse, yes. In which case it is not uncommon to do a sleevectomy and then 6 months of so down the line convert it to a full bypass. Do you know what your BMI is?

I orginally went with the thought that I would have a band but the surgeon recommend a bypass but as mixman said if this cannot be done successfully then the surgeon will do a sleeve. I have been told if I do not lower my bmi then I will have a sleeve.

When I went to the open evening I went with only one procedure in mind and this was the band, I didn't really know anything about any other procedure. When I left that evening having seen a video of all the opps available, I didn't know what to think. I went away and looked at everything I could get my hands on re: bariatric surgery, it's a good job I didn't get my first appt till 5 months later as it took me this time to decide what I wanted. I wanted the sleeve, but when I saw the registrar for my surgeon I was offered the band, I explained my reasons why I didn't want the band and was told I would have to wait and see if the surgeon would agree with my decision, he said yeeeeeeeeeeees. I had my opp on the 3rd of Oct and I'm so pleased I had this opp, since day 2 I have felt great, and have already lost 1st 3lbs. A lot of people have this as the first part of a DS, but I have no intention of having this and hope to lose all my weight with the sleeve.

Hope this helps, if there is anything else you want to ask please do.

Jeanx

When I went to the open evening I went with only one procedure in mind and this was the band, I didn't really know anything about any other procedure. When I left that evening having seen a video of all the opps available, I didn't know what to think. I went away and looked at everything I could get my hands on re: bariatric surgery, it's a good job I didn't get my first appt till 5 months later as it took me this time to decide what I wanted. I wanted the sleeve, but when I saw the registrar for my surgeon I was offered the band, I explained my reasons why I didn't want the band and was told I would have to wait and see if the surgeon would agree with my decision, he said yeeeeeeeeeeees. I had my opp on the 3rd of Oct and I'm so pleased I had this opp, since day 2 I have felt great, and have already lost 1st 3lbs. A lot of people have this as the first part of a DS, but I have no intention of having this and hope to lose all my weight with the sleeve.

Hope this helps, if there is anything else you want to ask please do.

Jeanx

Thanks Jean,

It is good to know that you are doing so well after the Sleeve. I am worried that if I have it done I will not lose enough weight or even worse...regain the weight. I also do not want to have a second operation but from what I read it sounds like most people are happy with the weight loss from the sleeve.

I was originally sold on the idea of the by pass as I have recently been diagnosed with diabeties are well and I understand that this can do into remission after the by pass but I guess I will have to wait and see what the surgeon decides.

If your surgeon thinks that it is not safe to do a full bypass for you because of a high BMI then they can refuse, yes. In which case it is not uncommon to do a sleevectomy and then 6 months of so down the line convert it to a full bypass. Do you know what your BMI is?

Thanks for your reply.
I know what my BMI is and it is seriously over the cut off healthy point of 55!!!

I've had the sleeve but it was the surgeons decision. He went in with the intention of doing a bypass but I was too big inside so he had to do the sleeve instead.

Saying that, I am very happy with my weight loss so far. 4 stone in the first 6 weeks. Probably the same in the last 3 months but I have a weigh in on the 12th November so I can see how much for definite!

Thanks for that, that helps as looking at your start weight I am a good deal above that so I reckon it will be sleeve for me. Also, it is nice to know that a second operation is not always necessary. Good luck with your weight loss and let us know how you get on at your next weigh in.

Oh my thank goodness someone has posted this saves me the trouble, my BMI is at nearly 48 and the surgeon has recommended that i have a bypass cause i also have diabetes, but he also said that if i wanted the sleeve he would do that for me. So now im really confused and cannot make my mind up which is best, please help???

Sharon

It depends on how your self control is. Like any of the ops, it's a tool that's given to you to work with and lose weight. If you really don't think you can manage your food regarding fat content and sugar levels then go for the bypass as the sleeve, you're still going to manage to eat sweet foods without dumping thus not giving you that cause to avoid.

If you think you can manage to control what you eat, then the sleeve will work as I have shown. The benefits are that you don't suffer from malabsorbtion but the downside is that if you don't behave with the junk food, you can still put weight on.

It's possible to have a sleeve then a bypass when smaller but why risk 2 operations? Get it right the first time and don't put youself and everyone through the grief!

Mixman thanks so much for replying been trying to find you on here as i was told you had the sleeve, just to answer your question tho i have no self control at all as regards the sweat stuff or anything else fore that matter. Been thinking more towards the bypass just a little concerned about it at the mo, its a more indeapth op.

Sharon

Hiya, I have a band so have no wise words, but I hope whatever op you have will be a success for you. Good luck x

Mixman thanks so much for replying been trying to find you on here as i was told you had the sleeve, just to answer your question tho i have no self control at all as regards the sweat stuff or anything else fore that matter. Been thinking more towards the bypass just a little concerned about it at the mo, its a more indeapth op.

Sharon

I had no self control when it come to food before the operation! I wouldn't have got so big if I had :eek:

But they flick a switch or something when you're under as I am a completely different person than before the operation!

I have more self control when it comes to food than any other thing! It's the best thing that's ever been given to me this operation!

I would not have gone out on a night out before let alone act my usual idiotic self :D

IMG_0443.jpg

Yes, this is me with an inflatable guitar! I had only drunk water too!

IMG_0446.jpg

DSC06517.jpg

This may help:

According to a published scientific research a hormone called "GHRELIN" makes people hungry, slows metabolism, and decreases the body's ability to burn fat. This hormone is produced in the stomach.

Gastric Sleeve operation removes the section of the stomach in which Ghrelin is produced. The non production of this hunger relating hormone results in preventing an increase in appetite.

Thus sleeve surgery works in two ways to become an effective weight loss surgery. One by reducing the stomach size to accommodate excess food & secondly reducing the hormones that create craving for food. This is the reason Gastric Sleeve surgery is believed to be superior by many doctors.

Sounds good to me!

Maz x

I know someone that asked for the sleeve when the surgeon offered the bypass. He did as she asked and she has lost over 6st since may. They are now finding the sleeve can be as good as the bypass and many are having just this one op.
Good luck with your decision.

I told my surgeon i wanted the sleeve over by pass and he agreed and im happy with my decision on this,
ive seen and read up about the results

Back