• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused.com

Jrichard

Hi everyone, I am really confused and was hoping for some advice from experienced post oppers out there.

I have seen a lot of advice on average calorie intake at different time lines post op, but what is advised and actually consumed varies.

I am seven weeks post bypass and I think I eat too much.

I average between 800-1000 kcal a day. Nobody seems to get anywhere near that. Is it too much?

I am sticking to low fat, low sugar high protein foods.

My weight loss was rapid in the first 4 weeks but has slowed right down to about a pound a week:(.

Help please, do I need to eat less?

Julie

Hi hun :)
Were you given a post-bypass diet sheet to stick to? If not, you may find this helpful > http://www.imperialweightcentre.co.uk/pdf/Post Operative Diet Bypass.pdf

At around 8 weeks, I was having about 600 calories a day. In terms of liquid - are you drinking enough? We can often misinterpret thirst signals as hunger. Are you feeling hungry or just making sure to eat at a specific time?
If you're really worried, you can try speaking to your hospital nutritionist. I was encouraged to start exercising, as that can help with stalls :)
I hope that helps. Try not to worry, any loss is a good loss :)

Thanks zarafa.

I think that I have been trying too hard to meet protein needs etc, making myself eat.

I am going to take a step back, stop measuring everything on my fitness pal, as I think i have become a little obsessed.

I don't feel hungry but you are right I need to drink more.

Thanks.

Julie

I was told not to count calories eat as your pouch requires, have one pint of milk a day and keep your fluids up

I never counted calories until I was 18 months out and then only because they wanted me to prove I was eating enough each day. It's not unusual for weight loss to slow down after a short while, your body needs time to recover from the shock of surgery etc.

Worry not, make sure you are getting enough protein in and are properly hydrated and it will kick off again. Two pounds a week after a couple of months is a good average weight loss so don't worry at this stage. Unless you are eating crap stuff you will lose the weight

Back