• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused - Private WLS

honeykiss

Hello Everyone,

I am currently on Mr El Hassani's waiting list but due to funding cute etc it looks like any potential op on the NHS is a good 18 months away and I am so desperate I really cannot wait that long.

After much talking and soul searching with my OH he is going to pay for me to go private.

I know where I want my op and I also want to stick with the same surgeon as he has a good reputation but I am bogged down by the different prices each company offers.

I have been looking at the bypass but I am veering towards a sleeve after reading up on it.

Example:
Gastric Sleeve from £11,450
The hospital group - Gastric Bypass from £10,950 -

BMI Healthcare Gastric bypass £10,950
Sleeve Gastrectomy £9,950

The WLS Group

Gastric Bypass

(Sheffield, Yorkshire, Kent, Manchester, Rochdale)
£8995

Gastric Sleeve

(Sheffield, Yorkshire, Kent, Manchester, Rochdale)
£8995

What should I be comparing them to, is it just down to personal experience? Please help, really need to get this started before I chicken out!!!

Wendy

I am guessing one of the only ways to make the choice is by research, research and a bit more research. The BOSPA website gives a great breakdown of each procedure. It can only be personal choice.

Sorry to not be very helpful xxx Good luck choosing x

Hi hun

It will be down to personal choice and if paying privately please don't let cost sway you or your OH either way as this can be false economy.

I opted for the bypass as, it is my belief, that this is the best tried and tested method and has a comparatively low fail rate. I also wanted it to be over when it was over if you know what I mean – I was reluctant to go back for fills (which may be chargeable).

Please remember, Consultants will also be limited to the advice they can give so you really must shop around – the WLS market is rapidly becoming like ‘double glazing’ once you start certain suppliers won’t leave you alone and it will all be for the benefit of their bank balance and not truly for the benefit of your waistline xx

Hi Wendy,

If you want to stick with your surgeon, you need to contact his secretary and find out where his private work is conducted. Then check with each of the hospitals that he works from to see how much they quote for your chosen procedure. If your surgeon does a lot of work out of one particular hospital , they may be able to give you a discounted price. Remember if you dont ask, you dont get, so fire away with your questions. Best of luck to you.
xxxxx

I went through the WLS Group for my bypass with Mr El-Hasani at the Chelsfield Hospital in Kent. Excellent Service, Excellent Surgeon, Excellent results - what more can I say.

Best of luck xx

I used WLS Group and went to belgium for a band, saved loads of dosh even with the flight cost (145)

I would also stick with El Hasani there are quite afew of us on here that have had him and have all had terrific results with no complication so i would put it down to reputation rather than cost. Trust me it will be worth every penny, good luck! xxx

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

I have phoned BMI healthcare and The hospital Group for more information but was disappointed with their knowledge, it felt like I was buying double glazing.

I decided to phone the surgeons secretary and had a chat with her. She gave me the number of Sheila the bariatric nurse, ( I have met her a few times) and she is going to ring me back later as I go directly though the hospital.

She did say I should have another consultation which would be £100.00 payable on the day and has provisionally booked me in for this Friday.

She also said Mr Hasani is offering a "discount" to any of his NHS patients. What this is I don't know as I need to ask at the consultation lol

Anyway just an update and Thank you all for your help.

Wendy x

Best of luck Wendy that all goes well!

The discount sounds very interesting:D

I have my appt with El-Hasani Thursday its costing £50 through BMI and that includes seeing the dietitian. I'm gonna ask about discounts, it would be great getting any discount for NHS patients seeing as I'm on his list already!!!
Good luck with Friday, let us know how it goes
Kim X

Good luck! Discounts defo good! Lol

Good luck!

Hi Wendy - the benefit of going through Chelsfield will be that you know Sheila and some of the other bariatric nurses there. And for Mr El Hasani, knowing you already come to the support group is a huge plus in your favour.

Last edited:
I was told by my surgeon that the sleeve was just a stepping stone towards a bypass.

He said that the sleeve wasnt as effective and so, generally, they did the sleeve for higher risk patients then when they've lost enough weight they go on and do the bypass afterwards.

The sleeve is a stepping stone for some of the much bigger patients to get down to a safer weight before continuing to have the bypass yes... However we have some very successful sleevers on here, ie Mixxy, Big Kim who have had fantastic results with their sleeve. I have a friend who has lost about 13 stone with her sleeve also...

At the end of the day you go for what you think will work for you, and lets face it your gonna be forking out around £10,000+ so for the sake of a few quid you get what you need x

Back