• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused!

TC33

Hi Everyone, I am a bit confused about drinking!!

I am 3.5 weeks post op and have been religiously not drinking half an hour before a meal or snack and half an hour after, but if I have say milk as a snack do I still have to wait?

I fully understand that milk is a 'food' with nutrional value but it is still a liquid so surely it will go through the pouch like a liquid?? What has confused me more is when I was in hospital one of the snack options (which I didn't have) was a glass of milk and a rich tea finger, which totally seems to go against the no fluid with food rule.

Can anyone help? xx

So ......... The biscuit was brought with the milk, when you were immediately post-op?! You should have been on tiny sips of water, moving to coffee, tea, etc on day two. Also the biscuit was full of sugar! No, I think that needs a call to Mr Slater's secretary on Monday just giving some feedback from your time in hospital ... If that had happened to me, and my surgeon found out there would have been a major incident!

Out of interest did you eat it? ;-)

I didn't choose it from the menu, sweet biscuits have never been my thing and I couldn't have fancied it less! I found it so strange and started to wonder if the people who did chose it got a visit from a dietician or nurse to give them more guidance on their food choices!!
I was going to mention it at my 6 week follow up appointment. I was over impressed with the hospital food, it certainly wasn't pureed - more like lumpy mash but I just spat out any lumps, Ionly had 3 meals before I was discharged. xx

My hospital gave me a creamy sugary yogurt by mistake which I dumped on, on day 2. Mr slater saw me shortly afterwards and he was pretty angry! I got lots of apologies.

Blimey Nicola I should hope you did get lots of apologies! You should have asked for some money back as the hospital caused you undue stress!! xx

The opinions appear to vary greatly from hospital/surgeon in different areas on what is acceptable and what is not (despite the obvious mistakes)
I just saw the dietician and only 5 weeks out from bypass and she said it was okay to have alcohol, yet others are 6 months or 12 months. It is interesting you got food in hospital as I didn't, just milk and the offer of tea ! Anyway the feedback will sort that out hopefully no one else will be offered the biscuit !

Back