• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP with drinking rule

liggielass

sally ann
hi all can i get this straight in my head ,,, i was told not to drink for half hour before a meal and one hour after but ive been reading that some people were told half hour before and also half hour after,, this would be good as waiting an hour after is a killer,, i know different surgeons have different criteria but surely the time before and after drinking should be universal after a bypass HELP XXXXX

from what I understand with a bypass the reason not to drink before hand is to stop you feeling full too soon and therefore you don't eat the required amount. The reason for not drinking with or too soon after is so that you don't wash the food through too quickly. I'm not speaking from experience as I'm still a pre-opper but I'm sure the more experienced crowd will be along soon.

Fluid is unlikely to stretch your pouch as it has an opening at each end and liquids just pass through. The 30/30 rule is a good one and one we should stick to. Half an hour after eating is fine as I'm told your pouch would be empty by then any way

I heard the same and trying to stick to the 30/30 rule. Good luck in your journey

I always stick to the 30 before rule but need a coffee after my dinner. I was told stop before as you will fill up on fluid but the reason not to after is that when food gets wet it passes quicker so you won't stay full for as long

I always stick to the 30 before rule but need a coffee after my dinner. I was told stop before as you will fill up on fluid but the reason not to after is that when food gets wet it passes quicker so you won't stay full for as long

It also pushes the food through your intestine and can lead to late onset dumping syndrome, and increased levels of malabsorption. If you want lifelong success wait thirty minutes

Back