• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food and drink together

Su2ie

I've been following the rules about waiting half an hour after food before I drink anything but to be honest this is one of the hardest things for me - especially as I have medication to take.
I just got to wondering why this rule exists - Is it about stretching the pouch? Or because the liquid intake means the stomach empties faster? Or both? Or something else? And is this rule forever or the initial post op recovery period?

So many questions!! Would love to know what people think/have been told :)

I know what you mean, I'm not sure why the reason is, but I am guilty of stopping eating so I don't have as long to wait for my next drink, I am a massive tea drinker - around 20 cups a day!

I heard it because you need to get the most out of your meal before you drink or you just "wash it out"leaving you feeling empty and therefore you might eat again
I too find this hard I keep looking at the clock !

And me Suzie find it all very difficult at times constant clock watching. Very difficult at work when you only have a 40 min break!!
my manual says the reason suggests that the reason is to allow the stomach to feel full for longer by not washing food out of stomach pouch hence you wont feel need to start picking at wrong carb laden foods when feeling hunger again soon after which can increase weight gain. Plus it can cause nausea vomiting filling pouch to quickly then washing all nutriments away .

I thought that was the case. I must admit though, if I have a cuppa about half hour after food I struggle to finish it do did wonder if it was also about capacity and stretching the pouch.

I never realised how often I drank straight after food until I couldn't do it any more :)

I also find this hard i used to drink a can of fizzy diet drink with each meal and cups of tea with snaks. I have to admit I still have tea with Atkins bar as now I don't get enough fluids in because I find it so hard to drink without food

Well its stopped my biscuit eating as I can't have a biscuit without a cuppa sod eating the biccy then waiting ages to have a cuppa :)

Well its stopped my biscuit eating as I can't have a biscuit without a cuppa sod eating the biccy then waiting ages to have a cuppa :)

It stopped me drinking tea... Just because i cant have cake or biscuit with it...

The only tea i manage nowadays its peppermint one... As i never had it before op.. :) all the others just taste gross without cake, chocolate or biscuit.. :)

It stopped me drinking tea... Just because i cant have cake or biscuit with it...

The only tea i manage nowadays its peppermint one... As i never had it before op.. :) all the others just taste gross without cake, chocolate or biscuit.. :)

Ohhhhhhh no I was so upset post op when I went off tea I was in mourning, sod the food I just wanted a cuppa luckily my tea fetish return after a few months and now its 15 or more cups a day :)

I'm 15 months out and it still hurts if I forget. I'm a massive coffee fiend and often forego food so I can have my coffee lol

Ha ha I wish!! Unfortunately food still wins the battle for me! It's one of the reasons I'm struggling to get enough fluids in :(

I'm nearly 2 years out and I still sometimes forget not to drink during a meal!

I was told once I'm 2 years out I can start to introduce drinks back into meal times. I have to admit I don't always wait the 20mins after every meal but I normally only have a few mouth fulls.

I was told once I'm 2 years out I can start to introduce drinks back into meal times. I have to admit I don't always wait the 20mins after every meal but I normally only have a few mouth fulls.

Hiya! Really, gosh my team advise not to drink during meal times full stop. I do find it weird how different providers say different things. xx

And me Suzie find it all very difficult at times constant clock watching. Very difficult at work when you only have a 40 min break!!
my manual says the reason suggests that the reason is to allow the stomach to feel full for longer by not washing food out of stomach pouch hence you wont feel need to start picking at wrong carb laden foods when feeling hunger again soon after which can increase weight gain. Plus it can cause nausea vomiting filling pouch to quickly then washing all nutriments away .

This is what's practice's at Sheffield hospital not to drink for a good 30mins after eating, its just another rule to follow.
Bigbeefybuilder

Screw eating crackers without a drink nearby!

I thought it was filling up with liquid meaning you wouldn't fit in grub or the other way round, washing the food down too quick.

Following the rules, how are you meant to have cereal? Rulebreaker right here :/

I have treats with a cuppa and wine with crackers or crisps...but I do not drink with my
Main meals. It's ine of the hardest rules to follow :-(

It's one I still stuck to religiously; mainly because on the times I've forgotten it hurts!! But also because I want to keep my restriction as much as I can. I don't eat cereal ;) xx

Back