• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering a slight de-fill

bexmoss86

Im so reluctant to write this down its untrue.

I have 8.4mls in a 9ml band (I think).

The weight is coming off really nicely, im averaging just under a stone a month.

BUT

Im struggling to eat more than a few teaspoons full of food at mealtimes and if I try and drink water in the morning then I usually get a load of slime build up and have to bring it back up.

When I last had a fill for the first few weeks the restriction was ok then suddenly I seem to have gone really tight?

Do I wait until I am at goal (hopefully in 3 months time) and then have a slight de-fill to enable me to maintain

OR

Do I have the de-fill now and put up with the slower weight loss?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Bex

Oh dear, it does sound like you do need a slight defill. Then that doesnt explain why your restriction was ok for the first few weeks :confused: is there anything going on in your life that may be making you tense? My band felt sooo tight after my mum passed away, even though I need a fill.

If there is no obvious explanation then a small defill may do the trick, slow and steady wins the race :D

Hi there, it sounds like you need a de-fill now. You need to be able to drink fluids freely or you may get dehydrated.

Also you need to be eating more than that or your body will be malnourished and this can also give you unwanted problems.

I know we all want it to happen overnight but not for the sake of illnesses.

Hey!

Mazza, I dont think i'm feeling tense but I do feel more tightness in my band when something is making me stressed, like waiting for job interviews to call back etc.

Caz, Im so impatient, that is my trouble. I know exactly what advice i'd give to someone else in my situation, but im loathe to follow it myself! Whats up with that?

Im going to book myself in as soon as I can get a free day because even though im losing, its not a good idea to be dehydrated.

You're too tight. Have some out. You don't want to risk a slippage and ruin all you're hard work. 1-2 lb per week is average anyway.

If you're still exercising well (and you are a great example to us all for really taking the importance of exercise in) I'm sure the weight loss will continue. It's important to get the good healthy foods in and not dip too low calorie wise to lose healthily and keep your metabolism revved. It goes without saying you need plenty of water/fluids throughout the day.
Have a little out and just continue your fab fitness routines and make sure what you eat is nutritionally beneficial. (we kinda know what that means already right? )
Hugs xx

Hi Bex,

Can I ask about your portion sizes now?

Also when you say it isn't easy - what do you mean?

Cheers CC xxx

When I say it wasnt easy, I mean about the exercise. I have to force myself to the gym 3-4 times a week and the whole head hunger thing means I want to eat more than I physically am able to (eyes bigger than the belly, literally).
Granted, its been easier to lose weight than a conventional VLCD.
In my opinion nothing about losing weight is easy. If it were, nobody would have a problem.

Portion sizes...i'll put an example of what I had yesterday.

Breakfast: None

Dinner: 3 crackers with cream cheese and cucumber (sliced thinly)

Tea: 4 crackers (dry) with 1/4 tin of soup

1L water

Blimmin heck.

I was talking to my friend and he recxkons I'll regret having the band done because I love food too much.

I have two holidays coming up Cuba in May and Jamaica in November. I was in Jamaica in November and found the food to be delicious - the fruit and salads alone were an absolute treat. I'll be a little sad if I can only eat a saucer full ... lol.

Regards head hunger - how do you know it is? With the other diets the stomach which produces the enzyme (hormone?) gherlin (sp?) is removed so it really is head hunger.I thought banding was different?

When you are full do you actually FEEL full as you used to pre-op?

I think head hunger is when you 'fancy' something rather than feel the need (ie: stomach rumbling).
Someone once said on here that if you are hungry enough to eat an apple, then you are truly hungry, if you are not hungry enough to eat an apple then you just 'think' you are hungry.
I try and think of that whenever I fancy eating something.
Maybe i've got it wrong, but I dont think its an enzyme/chemical thing. For me anyway, its to do with willpower and saying no when I know I dont need to eat.

You lucky thing going to Cuba and Jamaica (jealous)!
I dont know what to suggest about you only being able to eat a small amount when on holiday, Other than postponing your operation until after your holidays?

My friend is talking about Thailand & Hong Kong for New Years Eve and Brazil or mexico next year. Don't be jealous; I hate flying.

I get NHS funding it's likely I'd have to wait until after my hols anyway.

Portion sizes...i'll put an example of what I had yesterday.

Breakfast: None

Dinner: 3 crackers with cream cheese and cucumber (sliced thinly)

Tea: 4 crackers (dry) with 1/4 tin of soup

1L water

This is too little food and far too little fluids.

Sorry but you radically need a defill and soon. Your actually endangering yourself and your health long term if you eat like this.

Breakfast is the single most important meal of the day, it revs up the metabolism and sets you up for the day.

Sorry to sound harsh but you seriously need to address this issue.

I am a year post op and I can tell you that today I had

1 bowl of Oatibix in skimmed milk with agave syrup
1 Packet Ryvita Minis
Smoked Salmon and light cream cheese
2 Mini Chicken Satay
2 litres of water.
And for dinner tonight will be having Haggis and roast pots (done with butter buds and spray oil) with carrots.
Oh and I had a small slice of cheesecake after doing a 2 mile walk.

As you can see...much more variety.

Please go back and get a little taken out.;)

I know, and like I said before im going to book myself in on Monday to sort myself out. Just need to find a spare day.

My fills/de-fills are done under Xray so they will be able to see how much exactly to take out and if there are any problems.

I know its too little to be eating but as im full off such a small amount its difficult to fit anymore in, ya know?
I honestly thought I had done all the learning I needed to do but then something like being too tight comes back and bites me on the butt!

Thanks for the advice and your daily menu looks really good.

Will let you know how I get on :)

Ok, so I just got an email back from my dietitian and she agrees that a de-fill is the way forward so she is going to book me in on Monday with a view to having it within the next week!

Relief is not the word!

Back