• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering having a bypass

emmakc

Hi everyone, first time poster (sorry this feels like I'm calling into LBC haha).

OK, well I need to lose about 85lb and I spoke to a consultant about having a band but as I'm a binger on cakes and all things sweet he said that the band was not for me and would suggest I have the bypass.

At first I flatly refused to even think about it as its so permanent etc but what he said made sense - if I have an eating problem now I'll probably have that problem for the rest of my life so why wouldn't I want to make a permanet change?

Well I've not done much research into it yet but my main concerns are post-op. I'm very frightened of being sick (I know I sound like a baby but its a phobia) and this is one of my main concerns. I'm also worried about going back to work after the surgery and being ill in front of people.

Could you let me have your experience on what it is like post-op and how long it takes until life becomes somewhat "normal".

I haven't had a consultation yet (just spoke to Dr over the phone) so I know nothing about what happens or the diet I have to go on beforehand so I'd really like some advice.

Finally, are you glad you had it, or do you regret your decision?

Thank you.

Em x

I have my first consult next month for a bypass and had no hesitation when he offered it me over 10 years ago unfortunately the drs held the funding at that time and turned me down. it is a big life change make no mistake on that but all in all seems to me the better way to go seen people on here had the band then later got bypass seen others have the sleeve to later have the bypass so all in all bypass from the start seems the best way.

What I remember the Dr telling me about it at that time is that you could end up with a lot of diarrhea and yes sickness if you over indulge trick is if it starts to hurt stop eating and from what i read no sugars or fats as that brings on the dumping syndrome am sure someone will come along soon and explain better than me. Good luck whatever you decide

Well everyone is different when it comes to having a bypass so unfortunately there's not one rule of thumb concerning them.
Some people have absolutely no issues post op and recover very quickly and don't get sick at all.
Some of us do get sick a lot after food due to minor complications that can be fixed quickly :)
If you still have a big craving for sweet stuff post op and indulge in them, the likelihood is that you will be sick.
I see that as a good thing as it wouldn't be a great if you could continue with your bad eating ways post op :p
There are loads of delicious low fat sweet treats you can have after a bypass so you won't feel you are missing out. :)
Oh, and to answer your last question, even though I've had a lot of drama after my op, I'd have it again in a heartbeat! The weight is dropping off me at a rate I'd never thought possible and I have a lot more energy and I'm starting to blend in the crowd and not being the fattest person within a mile! :8855:

Thanks tartanlady and fading grace that's really helpful. I'm having the op privately as even though my bmi is high enough for NHS I don't have any weight induced conditions so I'm not eligible for NHS surgery (my dc said no unless I put more on to have it which is crazy) - fingers crossed the bank will lend me the cash!!

I'm going to a support group that my chosen hospital runs every month (this Saturday) so I can speak to people that have been through the surgery and I can't wait!!!

Yeah I had a bypass last August and I have never really looked back , I have had relatively little or no problems. I think it was a decision I wish i had been able to take up years ago when i was younger say my late 20,s instead of 45 would have given me a better life sooner, don't get me wrong my weight never really stopped me doing things but some people love to demoralise you when it comes to being morbidly obese. My hospital took about 18-21 months from start to the op n 6 months before that my referral from doc to hospital. Was a long wait but its over now I have lost over 8 stone since last July just ova 6 since the op itself, I am pleased with that I have never been shy of exercise and ate quite healthily , portion control was my problem and i did and still do like sweet things just try to have them in very small portions now, n the dietician was happy with that. i WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANY ONE, I had no medical problems and was only diagnosed with sleep apnoea once I was in the weight loss programme ready for surgery. Nothing else. i HAD MINE DONE NHS but it has took a long time. Good luck I wish you well x

Thanks tartanlady and fading grace that's really helpful. I'm having the op privately as even though my bmi is high enough for NHS I don't have any weight induced conditions so I'm not eligible for NHS surgery (my dc said no unless I put more on to have it which is crazy) - fingers crossed the bank will lend me the cash!!

I'm going to a support group that my chosen hospital runs every month (this Saturday) so I can speak to people that have been through the surgery and I can't wait!!!

Going to a support group is a great idea suggest you may write down any questions you might want answers to as most people tend to forget half of what they wanted to ask. Private is certainly a faster option thats for sure. I wish you luck in whatever route you take

Hi Emmakc I had a band 2 years ago and have been sick every day for 2 years! Had band out 5 days ago and having bypass in 4 weeks. Everyone is different and I've read stories on here where the band has been a success. It's a good idea to go to a support group, the more knowledge you have the better it is for you to make an informed choice. Good luck on what ever you decide and keep us posted xxx

Back