• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The best and worst bits of having a bypass

You will always have your ups and downs, but stay away
from juice and liquid fats if you feel your not losing weight...
Eat Raw Fruits and Veggies....

Love this thread ..it is so positive and if I at any time have any doubts about what i am doing I will re-read it just to remind myself why :D

My post op thoughts - RNY

So I was on the waiting list for my RNY and they said it will be March 2013 last september. Imagine my surprise when they called and said you are in for your op on xmas eve 2012. After I had got over the initial shock I got excited. I had been through all the negative stuff, worried about anasthetic, worried if I could cope with the lifestyle change, could I eat normally ever again. With other conditions I knew I had to do this and I was only kidding myself and making excuses. It had to be done. Now I am just over a month post op and it was worth it even the pre op soup and jelly diet. I have seen other diets mentioned on here it appears they are all different, mine was to shrink my liver and make surgery easier. It was worth doing as my surgery went very well and was done laproscopically which means I was up and about in no time. The consultant has given me a tool, he hasn't cured me, now it is my turn. Ok I can't eat the amount I used to which is very good as my plate used to be piled high. I know I can still have something nice but less of it. One of the big changes aswell as having my internal plumbing altered is my physcological outlook on food. I honestly dont spend all my time thinking about food. I am so pleased I can walk in and out of the kitchen without going in the fridge or cupboard. I have 3 meals a day and that is my lot. I enjoy the meals I have, it is now a matter of quality not quantity. Three weeks after the op I walked a mile non stop without collapsing in a heap.
All our journeys will be different but the one thing I can pass on is to DO IT conquer your fears the surgeons are great and so are we. Don't dwell on what may be seen as negatives think of the positives. They far outweigh not doing it. Post op you will soon find your feet. Food that used to be bad for us is still bad for us so spend the week making healthy choices. Healthy food is very tasty I think the junk food is just all false flavours. Now the food bill has dropped an awful lot we have more money to do the things we want to. My diabetes has virtually gone and my sleep apnoea will hopefully follow the same way. Onwards and upwards :)

What an amazing post, you have such a positive outlook, well done to you and I wish you continued success and that you have a fantastic new life , xx

Just found this thread. What an amazing thread. Love it. Just what I needed to lift me get rid of some of my niggling worries. Ty everyone x

Hi

I was done 22 Feb with a bypass.

Worst bits
* initially taking daily medication but in a routine with this now
* really feeling the cold at times
* not dumping? not sure if this is good or bad
* become a feeder to my family, cooking like mad
* no contact from SRH for a review

Best bits
*being able to eat anything so not feeling deprived, but full on a small amount of food
*getting into smaller clothes and loving it
*knee high boots zipped up again!
*hubbys reaction
*fitness in general improved, more energy
*can eat out, just have a starter
*feel generally loads better
*hospital stay was OK as ladies on the ward were lovely

Should have done this years ago....

Thanks everyone for posting, it definitely gives me some solace to see so many wonderful positive aspects of surgery. I am petrified to have surgery but I know I need it. I am afraid to succeed and afraid to fail in some ways. I am worried about the actual pain after the surgery but I know I have an amazing surgeon and supportive family which helps me feel like all will be ok.

I was also done 22 Feb.

Worst bits:
My impatience - despite losing 45lbs since I want it all gone now!
The saggy skin that's starting to appear

Best bits:
My calves are almost in proportion to the rest of me
Wearing clothes I've not worn in years
Confidence is better than in years
Not having that sick feeling after overheating rubbish
Planning for the future rather than planning my funeral

This is a great thread - and from what can see the positives far out way the negatives :)

This is a great thread - and from what can see the positives far out way the negatives :)

Definitely :D

I can add:

Having the confidence to have my hair highlighted DRASTICALLY!!
Wearing a bright yellow blouse to a night out.
Going for a meal without being conscious of the food on my plate
Crossing my legs
Going to a friends priesting at Lincoln Cathedral yesterday and not worrying about the chairs
That GREAT feeling as you pass each milestone - as of this morning I've lost exactly 5 stone and am lighter than I've been in around 10 years. I reckon one more stone will bring me down to my lightest weight in 22/23 years

What fabulous thread. My surgery is in less than 2 weeks so fingers crossed I'll be adding to this thread with all my best bits soooooon x

Back