• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The best and worst bits of having a bypass

lotsabeefy

Before my op I started a thread asking what the post oppers thought was the best thing for them having lost the weight. Now i have lost the majority of my excess weight i'd like to share with you what the best and worst things are for me, and in return if you guys wanna share your best and worst things it would be really cool also if the pre ops want to put in what they want from their ops and what their fears are..........so here goes.

THE WORST BITS(there aren't many)
The weight doesn't always fall off where you want it to and I'm left with a boney bottom and shoulders.
I'm always a bit cold
Extreme weightloss can cause Gall bladder problems and this hurts, alot.

THE BEST BITS
My kids!! they are happy and more secure because no one at school can upset them by calling their mummy names, I can run round all day with them and still have excess energy so their quality of life is much better.

I can go in any shop in the UK and buy clothes if i want to (except bay trading think you need to be under a size 12 to shop in there).

People don't mistake my assertion for aggression

I look and feel much younger

I dont have to drive a massive car any more

My Husband has more room in bed

I could go on forever but don't wanna bore you all.......in short i think its fair to say that no matter how frightened you are pre op, there's a massive wonderful world waiting for us we just gotta take the chance to see it and LIVE OUR LIVES to the max xxxx

Im only 3 weeks plus out of surgery and already I love my bypass (had no sickness or trouble yet so I might change my mind lol) I havnt got any worse bits I can think of yet.....maybe the Tinzaparin jabs as Ive had clots before I have to have them for 4 weeks (Im black and blue). Best bits.........everything, just the whole optimism going into the future knowing that I wont get any bigger and will be happier and healthier because of it :D (No diabetes meds or BP meds since surgery) Woohoooooo XXXXX

What a terrific thread...

I am so thrilled to share such positivity... Jacqui... your 'no nonsense' approach to life has helped you to deal with this and I think it's a tribute to you precious!

Just the thought of buying clothes off the peg and slipping into a slinky nightie instead of my flanelette gives me a huge lift!

Next summer... we could all do a CALENDAR! Howz about it???

I'm plumming for August and running through the corn fields in a see through white frock... any other ideas?

Love and hugs xxx hahaha... :flirt2:

Well my calendar for next year deffinately has a holiday in Spain on it :D and this time I wont be dreading the plane journey or not wanting to do things because im too fat! Ill probably have loose skin but I dont care, what I cant hide Ill have to put up with.....it beats the alternative ;) xx

Great thread! Worst bits - The first 6 to 8 weeks post op only from an emotional point of view was harder than i expected.
Good bits Where to start lol! Here is just a few Being able to shop in any shop of my choice. Going on holiday and fit in a plane seat, wear a swimming costume and shorts. Being noticed for all the right reasons! Stopping smoking and feeling healthier. Confidence oozing out of my pores not arrogance though lol. Just being happier all round xx

Thinking of holidays is such a tremendous motivator for our wls journey! Plus the dreaded flight seats... one of my fears too.

Haha... Jacqui, you'll enjoy your Spanish holiday so much and I love Spain too... which part are you hoping to go to?

Love and hugs xxx

Well, thats the million dollar question lol.....the last few years we have been to Moraira, Costa blanca and before that Majorca (Alcudia). We all love Alcudia but when we go in Sept its their stormy season :eek: and we have copped for it a few times lol. We want to go to mainland Spain next year but we have to find a place we all like the look of :D XX

As part of my wls plans it will be planning some Spanish trips... one of my favourite places is up in the hills of Mijas in Southern Spain... I am not so keen on the eastern coast but love Seville and the cities too.

Won't it be a lovely thought to have summer dresses and to be eating smaller portions thanks to our bypasses... it's such a boost to plan around holidays...

Love and hugs always xxx

OH Nadine what a great thread...
I haven't had my op but the best bit for me will be getting of diabetic meds.
my list is way to long..!

It's a great goal Lisa... as is getting rid of other meds too... it's a great aim!

Although due to my age, I may still be diabetic post bypass I am told, I am enthusiastic non the less and keep hoping...

It is a great thread and thanks again Nadine.

Love and hugs to everyone xxx

I have had it for a very long time and my Consultant believes I am still going to need insulin post op... it's going to be interesting for sure... so I will have to wait and see... the onset of my diabetes was post pancreatitis... so I'll keep you posted!

Nevertheless, I am thrilled for anyone that can come off any of the diabetic meds, since so many seem to induce weight gain... so it's a bit of a catch 22.

I never say never until I've tried, so I'm putting my positive foot forward for less diabetic deterioration I have a few things going on due to the diabetes.

Love and hugs always xxx

Bev..i wish you luck in this..because insulin is a royal pain in the whats it!!!

I have another...
The worst bit.......Waiting for what seems like forever pre op for news of appointments...!!

The best bit...will be getting in all the photos that I have dodged all these years...I better start learning how to gurn a cheesy grin lol

As part of my wls plans it will be planning some Spanish trips... one of my favourite places is up in the hills of Mijas in Southern Spain... I am not so keen on the eastern coast but love Seville and the cities too.

Won't it be a lovely thought to have summer dresses and to be eating smaller portions thanks to our bypasses... it's such a boost to plan around holidays...

Love and hugs always xxx

Last year I WON a week's holiday to Mijas through a Christian organization. We had a week in the most luxurious apartment I've ever seen, all marble and granite...5* luxury. It was WONDERFUL! I'd like to go back some time soon.:)

Well today I am officially 1 WEEK post-op!

Way to early to have any best and worst bits... but, I've got some best bits anyway because its ALL GOOD.

1) Waking up after surgery and realising I was still alive! I survived it! The feeling was overwhelming.

2) This gastric bypass malarky actually seems to work, it does what it "says on the tin", I've not felt hungry, I'm satisfied when I eat (my liquids only)

3) Even 1 week out the weight is coming off, maybe not noticable to the general public lol but my face is thinner my eyes brighter, my skin clearer, I feel energised.

4) I think this is going to work.... OMG OMG OMG, I think I'm gonna be slim.

5) I have hope, this bypass has given me hope.

Back