• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New - Bmi 32.7 anyone else similar had a band?

geraldine1

HI, I'm new to the site and would really appreciate the experience and knowledge of its users.
Having yo-yo dieted for years, these no longer seem to be affective, I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 18 months ago, now medicated and eating quite healthily I just can't shift the pounds, I'm just steadily increasing, despite exercising too.

I previously enquired about a gastric balloon but Healthier Weight said I qualify for a band. I was suprised as I didn't actually think I was heavy enough. Having made more attempts to loose weight since that enquiry, and failed, I am now considering it.

I note people have mentioned Dolan Park and I've now checked out their website, I live in Birmingham.

My friends think I'm mad and that it is drastic action for my size 16 figure, 5ft 3, age 33. I wondered if anyone else had a band fitted with a bmi in my region? And their experience?

Thank you

I'm thinking that as I didn't get any responses maybe it isn't common to have a band at my weight? I will continue to explore and see how it goes. Too much thinking involved with wks :(

Have you checked the requirements for your area.Its usually about 40bmi as a minimum.Maz

hey geraldine as big n bouncy said i think its usually bmi of 40 or 35 with co-morbidities. but this is via nhs so not to sure if its different for private or not. try the NICE requierements for your area that will tell u what you are looking for. I have been on for a few weeks and havent seen anyone with a bmi at 32.7 but i might be wrong. keep looking or if in doubt go speak to your gp. :) x

Hi

I don't think the NHS will fund if your BMI is below 35, but if you are going private then they will probably have a different set of rules.

Paul

Hi, I think if your struggling with your weight and your worried , why not. I think because your not obese or morbidly obese or whatever they are people may wonder why your having it! But if your feeling like you want to stay in control and not get any bigger then go for it? If you qualify with Dolan park and your really serious I can't see the problem, we all have Wls to lose weight , get healthier and be happy, with the under active thyroid I believe weight gain is quite common ,do your just protecting yourself really aren't you? Go and see Dolan park ask about others who have had the similar bmi to yourself and see how you feel after a consultation :) good luck with your decision xx

I think as the original poster has been to see Healthier Weight / Dolan Park she must be a private patient :confused:

A BMI of over 30 is classed as being obese. If the provider you go for is willing to do the op with a BMI of 32.7, why wait until you put more weight on.

On the day of my op my BMI was 36 (I think - long time ago now lol).

Good luck xx

Yup I agree if dieting don't work then I say why not! No point in being miserable my bmi is 37.2. It's such a limiting factor in my life! Can't wait for my surgery x

Thank you for all of your replies, yes I would be going private, I believe it is £6k at Dalton Park. I suppose I am seeking approval from other people that it is 'acceptable' to have a gastric band at size 16. I have been this size before, infact heavier but that was over 10 yrs ago & I was 21, and got addicted to WW & aerobics and lost over 3 stone. I have been exercising regularly these last few years, but to no avail, i got really down & that's when I got my blood tested & was diagnosed with the underactive thyroid.

I'm not too sure what a sleeve is, or whether the band is most suitable for me. I wanted to hear from others what they think suitable etc?

Also, as I am going private, I believe I am covered for 2 yrs aftercare - but long term what other costs occur? Do I have to have it removed after satisfactory weightloss, pregnancy or old age etc??

Hi Geraldine - my BMI is 31 and I am being banded on 15th June at Dolan Park by Mr Hewin. The Hospital Group will band anyone with a BMI over 30. xx

Back