• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Constipation with muscle spasms

Stellap

At goal at last.....
I have had on 2 occasions really really bad pain in my lower tummy and have been kept up all night through muscles spasms accompanied by very loud tummy grumbling (the spasms felt similar to contractions:eek:) was also sick on both occasions. This stopped after 4-5 hours and on both occasions was when I had trapped wind and constipation. I can't describe the pain of the spasms. Has anyone else had this?

The only time I have had lower tummy pain it has always been accompanied by wind (sorry if tmi)

Since my wls I am more aware of everything that my tummy is doing, and I tend to worry about the aches and pains but wind in itself is painful, and as long as you have an explanation for the pain I wouldnt worry too much if that makes sense. I would be more worried if I had pain and no other symptoms.

Hope that helps x

The pain that I've had like that, has been when I've either eaten too much, too big a mouthful or not chewed enough and it was when the food was trying valiantly to go through from my stomach to my intestine. Hope you are feeling OK now.

Thanks for your replies. The spasms have gone now but have been passing wind all day so think it was just trapped wind. I didn't know it could be that painful!

Hi Stella

I've experienced this on occassion myself and its normally brought on by to much fatty food, i'm not sure what you ate, but have a think about what you had a few hours before and normally thats what will cause this, for me the symptoms are normally severe lower bowl cramping, dyharia and serious constipation and can last for a number of hours, to much fat will cause you to have dyharia and can be sorted by taking imodium. there's no really easy way out of this either, you simply have to let it run its cause, its not very pleasant is it and at the time you feel like the worlds falling out of your ar*e. This could be attributed to wind, however wind is likely to affect your upper abdonimal area and chest rather than bowl.

I've had the simular symptoms too stella, however, my symptoms were more as silversurfer described.. LOL... I tried some cheese, but it wasn't low fat, & by goodness did I pay... didn't know it was psooible to have constipation & dyharia at the same time LOL... but OH the pain... & yes I did feel like my world was falling ***** LOL
Hope the pain stays away Stella.

Yes - have had same/similar symptoms. Have suffered with IBS for years and it's similar - but different lol! the pouch can cramp, I find, whenever it feels like it and if my body isn't happy the food "grumbles" it's way around until it gets to the exit!!

Sorry if this sounds bad - it doesn;t happen all the time thank goodness.

It is surprising how painful all this is................

Oooooooooooooooooh I can't wait to be post-op!!! ;)

But seriously, it sounds like you're having a rough time of it hun!!! Hope you're feeling better now!! any regrets about it???

Hi u have had some very good answers from the experienced post oppers :) those symptoms sound similar to either food poisoning or irritable bowl syndrome, could it be either of those, if it does happen again then i would speak to ur doc in case its got nothing to do with ur bypass.
Hope u feel better soon xx

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all your answers. I have had this twice now, once when I had a couple of those tiny blinis and Saturday when I had some liver (trying to get some extra iron in). I did put some flour on it as a coating and am wondering whether this caused it. Silversurfer, I didn't have any diahorrea whatsoever(wish I had though!) it was completely impacted until I finally went and then there was some diahorrea. Am wondering whether I have somehow managed to get IBS and will mention it to the doc. Thanks for all your replies - very useful

Me too!

Had it for several days but it passed (no pun intended!) I think it may be something that most of us experience in the early weeks. Mine was constipation and probably not drinking enough fluids.

U

Back