• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Constipation

daisy2002

Hi guys.

I had my op on the 27th & i haven't been to the loo since :eek:
I took picolax the day before to clear me out.... and my god did it clear me out.
However it's now nearly 3 weeks and i'm starting to get a bit worried.
I have never been regular, 1-2 times a weeks before the op.
I spoke to the dietican who said to try prune juice or califig. I think i need something stronger than prune juice to get my bowels going :eek: :eek: :eek:
Can anyone recommend something that i can take?
I don't feel too uncomfortable but i just want to shift it.... if you know what i mean.
x

A few members have suggested glycerin suppositories you can buy them at your local chemist quite cheap to buy, havent tried them personally but am no stranger to constipation, fybogel was my best friend in the early post op stages 2 sachets a day. try it and see can't do any harm xx

Hi

I am also in the same boat as you, I only go every 7 days, and that only because on every Sunday I use a suppository to help get something out, the glisarine one are good but the new Ducolax ones are much better. Just make sure you get the adult version.

Are you drinking enough,it's very easy to not drink the required 2 litres of water. I was also told to take Prune Juice Nd have today bought a bottle to give it a go, won't be trying it untill Monday though as I have got to do a 400 mile journey this weekend and don't want any accidents.

One thing I did notice is hat Prune Juice has a very high sugar content so will need to be careful wih it. otherwise I bight get the wrong type of dumping. :(

I have been told to stay away from Fybogel as it needs to mixed with too much water to be taken in one sitting.

If the problem persists you could also try Movicol or it Ducolax equivalent.

Paul

My husband just went to the chemist & bought me glycerine suppositories and movical.

I didn't want to try the prune juice because i thought it might be quite sweet. I'm having problems with drinking water so i've been adding NAS juice but over the last few days that has been making me feel sick & a little spaced out so not sure if that like a mini dump :confused:
I'm now adding just a tiny bit of NAS juice and hopefully it won't make me feel unwell.
I'm not sure i'm getting enough water, i'll have to measure it and see how much i manage a day.

Thanks again x

Hi

I find it's better to use a drinking bottle, the type with a pull up lid, mine holds 500ml so I know I have to drink 4 of them.

Prune juice is quite sweet so just have a small glass at a time, that way you should keep under the 6g a hit limit.

Paul

I was told dilute all fruit juices 50/50 with water.
I alternate between fibrogel & dulcoease not sure either works brilliantly but it helps a bit. As I'm 9mths post op I nibble prunes, figs or dates for a natural method to get me moving. May be worth a try.

Prunes are the life savers for me. Yesterday i had the most horrible day in my life. Omg never going to live without prunes now.

I'm worried about trying prunes because i've been feeling funny after drinking NAS juice which seems odd.
I had a glass of movical earlier and put a little bit of juice in it and after about 15 mins i had palpitations. I don't know if it was what i drank or because i was standing up for a while making cookies with the kids.

Good idea about the water bottle. I used to be able to drink loads of water when i was the VLCDs i've been on but then i could gulp lots down in one go which i obviously can't do now.

Hi

Just a quick update

As you know from my other posts on the subject I have also been suffering from constipation and every 7 days I have had to use a suppository to help me go. Yesterday was again day 7 but thought I would try what my teams nurse recommended which was Prune Juice, I took a small glass last night and another one this morning and by this afternoon it had did it job and so did I :) so I can recomend prune juice and a remedy for bad constipation. The only thing to watch is that it has quite a unique tast that will take some getting used to, I also think for the time being I will now limit myself to one small glass a day and hope this will help be become more regular.

Paul

The only problem with grapefruit is some people cant take it with certain meds, i cant have it with my antihistamines, know there are other meds too. xx

Grapefruit effects the way quite a few medications work, always read the instruction, especially when all else fails.

Paul

I did lighter life 3 years ago (on my never ending quest to loose weight) Lost 6 stone.. 7 back on now. Am down for surgery this year or early next. I stopped lighter life because of the constipation and it took me a good year to "go" properly again. It can be worse than childbirth, I really hope I dont suffer this with a planned sleeve... I had to use the glycerin to go...

Hi

If all else fail I can highly recomend the new Ducolax suppositories, they work real fast and do a wonderful job :) just make sure you get the 10 mg adult ones and not the 5 mg children's, unless you are child that is. :)

Paul

Back