• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Could do with some post-op wisdom....

markelsie

Hi Guys...
Having had my consultation yesterday and having been asked a multiple of questions about the whole by-pass procedure and about me and my relationship with food from birth-now I drove home thinking "gulp" and this is serious stuff.I then like a lot of others here watched last nights programme on "Supersized Teenagers" in America.
This really brought home to me about the whole impact/hold food and HOW I use it affects me.I do accept now food variety's post-op will have to change and the amounts in a lot of cases....BUT will not realise by how much until I have the op.
I would just like to know from you post-op guys...."WHAT" in general is ON the list for you now and "WHAT IS A NO-NO".

I know in live if it was easy we would all be fit,healthy,and millionaires,BUT that's for dream-land I just want to know what awaits me "POST-OP"......

Mark "The Droner"

Hey Mark

Im almost 7 weeks post bypass now so my list will probably vary from someone further on than me - I understand that in time, most things come back in small amounts.

NOs
Anything with a high sugar content - sweets, biscuits, chocolate etc - however, my sweet tooth has disappeared anyway so its not an issue

Red Meat - (steak etc) Pouch doesnt like it but may do in time

Alcohol - not a drinker so not an issue but I know someone who is 2 years post bypass and he says a couple of pints and he is blotto and also the same with one glass of champers!

Anything carbonated - think thats universal and for life but I could be wrong

Other than that I seem to be able to guzzle most things but in minute amounts - however I have a high boredom threshold and have to make myself eat cause I have no appetite which is par for the course - the enzymes in your tummy which create hunger have been bypassed hence the loss of appetite - unfortunately in time they work their way back!

Have you considered a band - the bypass is scary but totally worth it.

im seven months out and apart from sticking to no more than 5g of fat or sugar per 100g i can eat all textures of food.
I dont have any fried foods or breaded foods and also dont have puddings cakes sweets etc.
but love my staeks, chicken fishe and veg ad salads

Aside from the sugary stuff, the only food I find uncomfortable is chips. Haven't missed them. I can eat anything else, somethings in small quantities obviously like chocolate/sweet things, but i have never felt deprived of food or denied anything.

I have the occasional carbonated drink, I tend to let it sit and go slightly flat, and drink it slowly, but it's not the 8 cans of pepsi i used to have pre-op.

Alcohol, I didn't drink much pre op so don't miss it now.

Ladies....Thanks for the feedback on your own personal likes and dislikes it's just after years off cramming food in and not taking to much notice I started to get concerned thinking about life and eating "pre-op" and frankly although I need food to nourish me I'm looking forward to not being SO reliant on it...."Hope that makes sense"..
M...........

I eat a wide and diverse diet at 7 months post-op. I have had a nibble of sweets but not much and I have had the odd bit of fatty food but only a bite or two. I eat steak often because I love it, I just cook it rare, eat small bites and trim off any fatty bits. I have recently managed some untoasted white bread which was giving me issues earlier but I didn't really care for it anymore so ended up picking the meat and cheese off!

I really don't miss anything since if I want it I will have a bite or two and craving goes away. With pop, I have taken a sip of hubby's drink and thought yuck, too sweet & way too salty! I guess that's me done with fizzy drinks. I really don't have food issues anymore, I eat healthy and I like what I eat.

HTH,
Nic

Nic...Thanks for the comments and I can see a picture forming from all the feedback and can see a new life with food forming...Whilst on BIG "well done" on your weight loss journey so far...
M

Mark - i'm 9 months post op and like Nic and Shel i can pretty much eat and drink anything, but just in smaller quantities now, also i dont suffer the dreaded dumping syndrome either, so i can eat sweat things, and do when i want them.
You are right, things will radically change for you post op like averyone else, i akine it to like learning to eat again all over, you'll find certain foods work and certain ones dont, its a massive learning curve re learning that some of get the hang of quickly and others seem to struggle with for a long time, but eventually you'll be eating larger portions and more variety.
I'm also an advocate for "a little bit of what you fancy", i believe in our own way we are all addicted to food, thats why we got fat in the first place, trying to deny yourself foods that your body and mind is craving doesn't work and you end up binging, in my opinion its better to give in on occassion and indulge in a little and that way i find the craving for that particular food goes away for ages, i'm not advocating this method in any way, but it works for me and it worked very well for another bypasser i know, who's also lost a lot of weight.

It is a serious thing and i know the feeling your having very well, but its not as bad as it seems or feels now, trust me its absolutely worth it !

HiYa Mark,
I am one day short of 6 months Post Bypass and in all honesty I can more or less eat anything at all, Only In much smaller quantities, I also believe in a little of what you fancy too will do no harm, I look at this life changing opperation as a new way of life, yes, but we have to live and enjoy our lives and food too, Its a life long diet and If you follow it healthy enough, and the majority of the time choose healthy meal options you can allow for those occasional treats.
It the best thing I have ever done and has changed my life.

Jo....Thanks for the comments and it does help hearing the "facts" from those who have now had there ops.Already it seems easy to understand some of the up's and downs involved but for me like you said it's life changing as for me I'm tired of being a "spectator and want to "participate" in life more IF that makes sense and positives from you and all the other ladies is helpful....and appreciated

Markx

Silversurfer...Thanks for the tips and sharing and it really does help to hear your stories with food.So along with the weight loss you would say this whole experience since your op has changed your life??

Mark Honest to god you will not regret it one bit, I must also admit, The first 8 weeks is the hardest, Very mentaly and really really hard, getting your head around it all. Frustrating at times, because you can NOT eat a lot of anything at all, I was Up and down from day to day,I felt Happy because i was losing the weight, but Upset as if I was grieving from the loss of food, But you do eventually learn to cope and the weightloss outways the loss of food. Especially after a few months when you can eat more of a variety of foods.
I think for myself, it was the hardest part of this journey so far.
But now 6 months on I am loving it and don't feel deprived at all.

Jo...You seemed a very determined person from your comments and I suspect it has helped you cope with the many high's and low which all this brings.What stands out to me with every ones comments and experiences is that the surgeons may operate on your body but YOU have to work on the mind and as they say "Mind over Matter"....Thank you again..
Mark x

Silversurfer...Thanks for the tips and sharing and it really does help to hear your stories with food.So along with the weight loss you would say this whole experience since your op has changed your life??

Yeah absolutely, i've never had a day when i've thought "what have i done" or looked on the op as a negative.
I've never had an issue with food either, at an early stage i got the the high protein low carbs eating thing and have been fairly successful with my weight lose so far, i've still got a bit to go, but bought my first pair of size 36" waist jeans today, the feeling of going from a 58" waist to a 36" waist in 9 months is increadable !
Dont get the wrong idea though, there are small things that you'll learn to overcome and issue you will have to deal with, but in general its all positive, well for me it has been.

You actually said it yourself, its time to start living again !

Size 58"-36" thats "BIG" respect to you and know doubt you feel good about yourself that is really well done and must help you keep up the good work you have done.

Yeah absolutely, i've never had a day when i've thought "what have i done" or looked on the op as a negative.
I've never had an issue with food either, at an early stage i got the the high protein low carbs eating thing and have been fairly successful with my weight lose so far, i've still got a bit to go, but bought my first pair of size 36" waist jeans today, the feeling of going from a 58" waist to a 36" waist in 9 months is increadable !
Dont get the wrong idea though, there are small things that you'll learn to overcome and issue you will have to deal with, but in general its all positive, well for me it has been.

You actually said it yourself, its time to start living again !

Fantastic inch loss richard .
hc

Back