• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To go for it ? or not to go for it?

Hollymum

Hi Everyone I am feeling quite wobbly about having the bypass op.....I am booked in for the end of the month....only last week - and the previous year - it seemed like such a good idea but now I am getting seriously nervous about the risks - whether I will be able to cope post op both emotionally and less so physically! I saw that programme too last night about the teenagers and clearly your relationship with a close friend 'food' changes irrevocably......any words of wisdom please?

Also does a bypasser have to take vitamins for the rest of life? and what about protien shots please - what are they.......take pity on me and help me out !!! :confused: thanks

im a bander but 98% of bypassers i know tell me its the best thing they have ever done and its changed there life imensley.
im sure someone will be here soon to answer your questions x

liz x

I am not as far into the process as you are but I imagine that nervousness before the operation is normal. Fear of the unexpected. (((HUGS)))

Hi Everyone I am feeling quite wobbly about having the bypass op.....I am booked in for the end of the month....only last week - and the previous year - it seemed like such a good idea but now I am getting seriously nervous about the risks - whether I will be able to cope post op both emotionally and less so physically! I saw that programme too last night about the teenagers and clearly your relationship with a close friend 'food' changes irrevocably......any words of wisdom please?

Also does a bypasser have to take vitamins for the rest of life? and what about protien shots please - what are they.......take pity on me and help me out !!! :confused: thanks

Hi there I am 8 weeks post bypass now and have to say that like you I was extremely nervous as the time got nearer. I was originally referred in August last year and had my op in April this year.
What you are feeling is totally normal. Its fear of the unknown.........im sure everyone who goes through this feels the same or similar.

I know I was very nervous the night before and didn't sleep a wink but your tastes do change and a lot of things that you worry about there really is no need. I know its easy for me to say this but im sure we all think the same! I was worried how I would cope after the op with going out/cooking etc but yesterday I cooked the BBQ for our family and didn't bother me at all. I was amazed!!

Yes you do have to take multivitimins for the rest of your life like it said on the programme and also calcium supliments. I have protien shots but these are not injections, they are small drinks to keep my protien levels up at the moment as I don't want to eat.
Please feel free to ask any more questions that you may have Im sure there are loads of people who will put there input in soon. Take care, keep thinking positive and look to the future :)

Hi Holly
You will get all the help you need on this site . That is fantastic your going to get your surgery soon . I haven`t had my surgery yet but I can`t wait for it . Some one will be a long to give you the information soon . Where are you going to have your surgery done ? You will have to take your vitamins . Please keep us up to date . What part of Ireland do you live because I live in Derry . Good luck and take care hun .
MARGARET XX

Thanks so much to you all - that is so encouraging.....I am probably being a big (literally) baby!! Anyhow thats just how it is no point in beating myself up..... Thanks

Hi Margaret I am all the way down south! I will be heading to South Engalnd for my op. Hope you get some good news soon too.

:) Hi hollymum,
i am also waiting for a bypass and have been told its only a few weeks away. Just typing that it make my tummy turn upside down. i think if you weren't worried then there would be something wrong!! But listening to people who have done incredibly well after the bypass helps!
I went to my pre-op appointment yesturday and there was a lady there who had her bypass a year last feb. Wow, she had lost 13 stone and looked wonderful. She said she was petrified, but 12 months on, its the best thing she has ever done!! Lovely to see and hear.
xxx

It is a big decision hun and in my opinion you need to be prepaired for post op. After care is a must so if your not sure then I would take a time out and research as much as you can. I found the whole thing mentally draining but I did have other issues aswell and very little familly around me for support.
My only advice would be...... "be prepaired" :)

I'm always here if you ever want to PM me for any advice or just to chat. :)

Back