• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

couple of Newbie Questions

samlouise01

Hi Everyone!

Could someone tell me if it is possible to get WLS without going through an official "tier 3 programme"? I was hoping that i could skip this part as i have been fobbed off by the docs for the past 2 years, And i have an illness that means i will suffer serious health consequences if my weight is not controlled. I have been to see dietitians and been on orlestat, I have tried exercising to no avail and its all on record with my GP, just not sure if it counts done in this way. I contacted the Head of UCLH who told me i qualify to be referred to her for surgery.

I am off to a docs appointment in the morning and trying to arm myself with as much information as possible!

Thanks again

Sam x

Hi sam, i contacted my docs in may this year. After numerous attempts of silly fad diets ect i too also tried orlastat i gained more weight than i actually lost. So after i pleaded to my doctor she refered me and i went to seminar in june. Was given weight loss target in september. I hit my target of 8kg by 5th nov also seen surgeon yesterday i had lost an extra 9.5kg so total of 17.5kg he placed me on waiting list. He said i shud be done by end of janurary 2015. So its been pretty fast movin for me. I also kno people who have had it done due to health issues and they have waited longer than i have.
I think it depends on the area u live in. As i will be done at sunderland. Nd they have been done pretty quick.

Hope u get sorted quickly tho. I kno this 3 tier thing is new to the system now so not sure how it works

Take care vicki

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for replying, so by the sounds of it, tier 3 is your docs attempts to lower your weight in an official capacity, whereas (you/me) have done it anyway but not under the label of tier 3.

off to see the docs in a couple of hours and feeling nervous. I can't go on like this much more. I don't know what it will do to me today if they tell me No again. Its too much to bear any longer.

I AM SOOO HAPPY! WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Finally after 2 years my doc has referred me to UCLH to be assessed by the consultants for suitability for surgery! OMG! it hasn't even set in!

I told the doctor that the last doctor completely dismissed me even though she couldn't give me a definitive reason why I am not suitable. The current doctor looked kind of embarrassed that I had this experience in their practice and she could see that i should have been referred 8 months ago when i lost the plot with the other doctor.

I had a bit of a cry at her and she said "Its ok i understand that you are in a vicious circle, I know you have been trying to exercise but if you are injuring yourself in attempts to rectify the situation then we need to intervene"

Funnily enough thats about the same as i told the other doctor!

Anyway So now i just have to wait for my referral date to come through!

Eeeek! Exciting times ahead! xxx

Hi sam
Well done on getting refered. Thb i was scared of asking my doctor and when i did i was pretty shocked she said yes straight away after years of being up and down. Hope its as quick as mine has been. Just try ur best at hittin ur weight loss target. I found it a struggle but just managed it. Keep me posted and i wish u luck xx

Thanks everyone!

Vicky, How quick was yours? I was just wondering about the process now, So i go to see the consultant and then what happens? I have heard people being ushered through a series of group sessions and nurses etc all in one day?

My BMI is 40.2 (as of today) and so i was wondering how they work out how much weight you need to lose?

just excited now and want to get my head round it!

Also i am a bit apprehensive about what surgery to opt for, I was initially thinking the band but then i was put off with the thought of having a tube sticking out of me for the rest of my life and the reports of frequent slippages, corrections, infections etc and then i thought about the sleeve, which i am leaning towards, the only thing that is weighing on my mind is how drastic it seems and the possibility of it going wrong....

but I mean apart from that i am just over the moon! finally can see some light at the end of the tunnel! :D:D:D

I went to seminar in june. Was told within the next 8 weeks after id see baratric nurse. I was weighted at seminar that was my first weigh in. I then seen bariactric nurse in the september but i had gained 3kg they werent impressed i must say. I also seen dietitian that same day. But the nurse really made it hit home on what he was sayin to me. Some pretty harsh stuff, so be prepared incase tgey are the same where ur from. But they have to be to get an understanding of ur needs and what ur lookin to go for.
Wen i seen dietitain i was told to lose 8kg. Which was the 3kg i had gained between june amd september so if i hadnt of gained weight my target wud of only been 5kg.
So i hit my target on 5th nov, i seen surgeon just wednesday this week. The bariactric nurse siggested i go for double loop bypass as my main problem was grazing and with other proceedures u can still eat almost any thing u want bit in smaller portions. So now im just waitin on an endomoscopy appointment which shud be with in tge next 4 weeks and my op between 2-4 weeks after

Sorry this is sooooo long xx

oooh ok, I don't really know how it works with UCLH, I have been trying to find out how the first referral goes.

I am so hoping that it is done sooner rather than later, I have heard of people getting it done super quick, a friend of the family got her referral, 2 weeks later visited the consultant and 4 weeks after that she was called in early as there was a cancellation!, she said that she told them she would be flexible with where she had the surgery, so maybe that helps!

Getting a bit ahead of myself and checking out the latest fashion trends, I never bother looking anymore as its only for skinny B***'s hahahaha. but now i know i will be able to actually buy clothes its going to my head!!

oooh ok, I don't really know how it works with UCLH, I have been trying to find out how the first referral goes. I am so hoping that it is done sooner rather than later, I have heard of people getting it done super quick, a friend of the family got her referral, 2 weeks later visited the consultant and 4 weeks after that she was called in early as there was a cancellation!, she said that she told them she would be flexible with where she had the surgery, so maybe that helps! Getting a bit ahead of myself and checking out the latest fashion trends, I never bother looking anymore as its only for skinny B***'s hahahaha. but now i know i will be able to actually buy clothes its going to my head!!

Wish I could help but L&D is a lot different by the sounds of it! Dunno if that's a good or bad thing but it took me 12 months from first appointment to get to my MDT then after that I start my milk diet see surgeon and get booked in xx so maybe 15 months xx

Back