• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A couple of questions for the bypassers

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi guys
I am waiting to get my appointment through for the surgeon and then with any luck he will agree to perform a bypass on me.
I have been wondering about a couple of things and who better to ask than the bypassers out there.
The first thing is about vomitting.
Do you vomit the same when you have a bypass as you did before?
I dont mean during the post op period, I means in general life, if youre sick is it the same as before or different? In what way?
When Im sick I heave about 5-10 times and just wonder if that will change.
The second thing is what about when you get the runs, can you take the same pills to stop it as you would have done before the bypass.
If people could share their experience on those things I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
Steph xx

OK - your health must be poor if you are constantly sick and taking pooh stoppers. They are not advised (not that you will need them) post op as they contain opiates and are wholey not good for your body. You may experience regurgitation, but it is unlike general being sick - it is usually when something has not digested - (for me chicken breast a couple of weeks ago - it was too soon post op so I got some pain then it regurgitated, but not in the same way as throwing up) - it is coming from a different location and you won't have the tummy acid either.

Getting the runs is normally a bug or very bad diet and that will change dramtically when you have the Op and I hope you manage to get to grips with both of the symptoms you have asked about before you have the actual op! They are quite odd questions! Best of luck tho'....

tpt...I dont get it lots, I just sit and wonder what life will be like after the op and those things popped into my mind.
I only really get the runs if there is a bug around or when my Metformin doesnt like something I eat, so I dont get them often. And the vomit question is just a curiosity.
Im just a nosey person and plan WAYYYYYYY too much ahead of time and was just being nosey.
Steph xx

tpt...I dont get it lots, I just sit and wonder what life will be like after the op and those things popped into my mind.
I only really get the runs if there is a bug around or when my Metformin doesnt like something I eat, so I dont get them often. And the vomit question is just a curiosity.
Im just a nosey person and plan WAYYYYYYY too much ahead of time and was just being nosey.
Steph xx

That's a relief!!! The bowel is unaffected so if you get a bug before, the same will happen after. The sicking like I said is different. I think the biggest adjustment is the mental one!

Hi Steph

I'm now over a year post op, i have no problem taking imodium or any other diareha drugs.
Being sicks a bit different, firstly there's two types of being sick, the first is regurgitation of food when you over eat, this is caused by food backing up the ospagus and you literally regurgitate a few mouthfuls of food, its not a big deal, doesn't hurt and doesn't taste bad, infact if you've overeaten it can be light relief !
The second type of sick is if you have a tummy bug, then you projectile vomit everything thats in there out fast as before.
Getting drunk and thowing up doesn't happen post op, firstly you will be careful how much you drink as it absorbs and goes to your head quicker, and secondly the drink goes straight through the stoma and into your intestine, so there's nothing in there to throw up anyway !

Hiya

I have luckily not thrown up in any form post surgery (nearly 5 months now) so Im lucky. I did however have diarrhea due to a tummy bug and necked two Imodium in one go - the problem went away and I didnt poo again for almost a week! Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the replies guys, as usual this forum has proven to me to be a uniquely friendly and helpful place.
The alcohol thing, I dont drink now, well, the very occasional glass of asti but that has literally been 3-4 glasses in the last 3-4 YEARS, so it wont be an issue, but its a good piece of advice all the same.
You guys rule!
Steph xx

good luck with your journey x

Back