• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

just a couple of questions

julie18

My name is julie I have just been referred to Sunderland royal for a gastric band I just wanted to know what exactly happens and if you definitely get one once your referred. could you explain what happens next......:D

hiya hun, Welcome to WLSurgery, youl soon find all the answers your looking for,
im waiting for a bypass at derby myself - every area is different, it just depends on your pct i recon. ill tell you how it happened for me...

saw gp about referal and she made me stop smoking b4 she would send referral off then sent it in nov 09, i recieved a letter stating i needed a sleep apneo test 1st so had that in march and got my 1st apointment at derby in july 2010 where i met surgeon, aneathatist and dietician and the surgeon explained that he thought a bypass would suit me rather than other surgeries and that my area is automatic funding so that would save abit of timee. he gave me 3 months to get healthy by doing some exercise to strenghen my heart. went back in september having lost 9 lbs and he put me on the 6 month waiting list., im still waiting x

hope this helps! it does differ from person to person tho, keep posting coz once you get to 50 posts you get some extra benerfits on the site and get to 100 posts and you get full benerfits x

all the best on your journey and good luck! x

Hi Julie, welcome to the forum... there's quite a few of us on here going through Sunderland, and I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to advise fully of the process.

I'm at early stages - had the referral from my GP in June last year; went to the group seminar in September, where one of the surgeons will tell you all about the surgery, what it will mean for you and what they expect of you before and after you've had it. You do get a little booklet to take home with you too which is handy to refer to.

I went to see the Bariatric Nurse and Dietician just before christmas and got weighed and filled in a questionnaire re sleep apnoea; spoke to the dietician about my eating habits; and nurse about my medical history. They both recommended a bypass for me.

Dietician gave me a 5kg weight loss target which I MUST meet before I see the surgeon in 4-5 months time. I also have to have the sleep apnoea test through my GP, and have been refered to psych to get my 'head examined'... but that will take months as he's really busy. Nurse said it won't hold up my meeting with the surgeon though, or his decision to put me on the waiting list.

That's were I'm at now. In September it seemed a lifetime away - now its gaining momentum quickly!

If I've lost the weight and the surgeon is happy that I am fit and well for surgery he'll add me to the waiting list which is I think about 6 months long at the moment.

At some point a panel meets to discuss the recommendations from the nurse and whether funding should be approved but I'm not sure about the timing of this - if its before or after you see surgeon; or whether funding is up to PCT or automatic in Sunderland.

There's also a pre-op assessment that you have nearer to surgery date to make sure that you're fit for surgery; and you have to do a pre-op diet to reduce the size of the liver to make it easer to operate and this is usually two to four weeks before the op date.

I hope that a post-opper can fill in any blanks, or tell me if I've got anything wrong....

Good luck with your journey. :) Sunderland also have a monthly support group and Liz will be able to tell you more about this if she's online.

Hi Julie, welcome to the forum... there's quite a few of us on here going through Sunderland, and I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to advise fully of the process.

I'm at early stages - had the referral from my GP in June last year; went to the group seminar in September, where one of the surgeons will tell you all about the surgery, what it will mean for you and what they expect of you before and after you've had it. You do get a little booklet to take home with you too which is handy to refer to.

I went to see the Bariatric Nurse and Dietician just before christmas and got weighed and filled in a questionnaire re sleep apnoea; spoke to the dietician about my eating habits; and nurse about my medical history. They both recommended a bypass for me.

Dietician gave me a 5kg weight loss target which I MUST meet before I see the surgeon in 4-5 months time. I also have to have the sleep apnoea test through my GP, and have been refered to psych to get my 'head examined'... but that will take months as he's really busy. Nurse said it won't hold up my meeting with the surgeon though, or his decision to put me on the waiting list.

That's were I'm at now. In September it seemed a lifetime away - now its gaining momentum quickly!

If I've lost the weight and the surgeon is happy that I am fit and well for surgery he'll add me to the waiting list which is I think about 6 months long at the moment.

At some point a panel meets to discuss the recommendations from the nurse and whether funding should be approved but I'm not sure about the timing of this - if its before or after you see surgeon; or whether funding is up to PCT or automatic in Sunderland.

There's also a pre-op assessment that you have nearer to surgery date to make sure that you're fit for surgery; and you have to do a pre-op diet to reduce the size of the liver to make it easer to operate and this is usually two to four weeks before the op date.

I hope that a post-opper can fill in any blanks, or tell me if I've got anything wrong....

Good luck with your journey. :) Sunderland also have a monthly support group and Liz will be able to tell you more about this if she's online.

hi julie, novamay has pretty much covered the process, Sunderland no longer state waiting times as demand is very high with us, there are 4 surgeons now and they are working around the clock to keep the waiting times to a minimum thats possible, i run patient support once a month in the education centre at Srh, our next meeting is Jan 27th from 6pm if you would like to join us then you will be more than welcome as this is for both pre and post op wls patients x

Back