• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Couple of questions?

VeronicaT

Gonna be thinner girl
Having read and re read most of this forum lol, can i ask
What is sleep apnea?
Where do you get pain after the keyhole op? I had keyhole for gall bladder and hysterectomy and had no pain after at all, so was wondering what was different?

Thanks

Hi Vron
I think that sleep apnea (sp) is where you stop breathing while you are asleep, it is common among overweight people (but if i am wrong i am sure someone will be along to correct me!)

The pain that i suffered after my keyhole op was all wind pain, and although it doesnt sound painful, it really is. The fill up your abdomen with gas so that there is more room to see and move about, but i am sure they just stitch you back up and let nature take its course without letting it out!!

Hope this helps hun xxx

Not everyone gets the wind pain, I didn't have any post bypass, but did post sterilisation. Strange!

If you have bypass, you generally have pain on your left side, and a little by each incision (there are around 5). I was off painkillers by the time I was discharged though so it's not bad at all.

Sleep apnoea is caused by anything that increases the normal narrowing of the throat during sleep. The main symptom is severe daytime sleepiness. See: Sleep Apnoea Trust - Sleep Apnoea Trust Home Page

I didn't suffer any wind pain after my op. I just had some discomfort around the main wound site below my left breast, a bit like a sharp stitch. This meant I was unable to turn onto my left side in bed for a few days and it was painful getting into or out of a sitting position for about a week.

I was offered pain relief every day in hospital but declined as I didn't feel the need for it. I did take some once I got home though as I was being more active. The only time I had morphine was immediately after the op when I came round in recovery.

Last edited:
Only place that was really uncomfortable after my op was my shoulders....damn they hurt lol
my abdomen wasn't too bad, the initial bend to get out of bed was uncomfortable but i was only on paracetamol and stopped taking that by the time i was out of hospital

Pain is really specific to each person so you can usually go by how you have coped with any previous surgery. I too only had mild pain in 2 of my 5 cuts and only suffered slightly with trapped wind. If I am honest the constipation about a week post-op was worse than the pain directly post-op, and thanks to reading tips on here I sorted my constipation quickly with fibre supplements and upping my fluids. Overall my surgery was a 2 or 3 on a pain scale of 10 and really a 1 or a 2 after a couple of days. I definately could have returned to a light work schedule after 2 weeks no problem, I was really only a bit fatigued in the afternoons. But again, this can be different from person to person as some on the forum had more intense pain and discomfort for a longer period.

Nic;)

Vron, i had open and not keyhole and have to say Nic is right! Pain is specific to each individual, some of us have high/low pain thresholds. I personally after the first day didn't have pain, just a lot of discomfort and the fear that my wound would burst open...

I too have had my gall bladder removed keyhole and again (like you) was not in pain as such more discomfort...

hth xx

Back