• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gallstones, gall bladder removal

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
At the beginning of the year, I posted about severe abdominal pain and one of the ladies posted a message suggesting that it could be my gall bladder.

I had a scan at my local hospital in January and they said that everything was fine. However, I had a blood test done at St. Georges in Tooting and it suggested there was a problem, so I had another scan this morning and was told that I have multiple tiny stones in the gall bladder.

I was then told that the smaller stones are more dangerous as they can migrate and cause blockages and possible pancreatitis.

The pain I'm experiencing is horrendous and I'm taking morphine for it but the painful episodes are so frequent - 4/5 times per week.

I looked it up and it says that the pain is caused by the stones moving through and causing blockages which is really worrying me.

I'd like to ask everyone who's had to have their gall bladder removed after wls, how long you had to wait and what the side effects of not having a gall bladder are?

Also, do they always remove the gall bladder or can they just take out the stones?

hi purplepansyem i had pancreatitis two years ago in september and i can tell you that the pain is disgusting its worse than child birth so i know how you feel.
i havent had wls yet but i did have my gallbladder removed a year ago after having pancreatitis and i havent had any problems :D only side affect i had was that i cant eat high fat things at all without running to the loo lol hope this kinda helps x

Hi puplepansyem my heart goes out to you I have not had surgery till June but I have had gallbladder removed 10 years in August I can tell you it's the best thing you can do. My surgeon told me that it's best to remove the whole gallbladder as stones will reoccur if the stones only where removed. Mind was just 4 small cuts healed quickly with no problems. You will fill tons better without it. Good luck hope you don't have to long to wait to get it removed.

Back