• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mr El-Hasani @ Chelsfield Pk Hospital

Fat Again

Hi all, I'm considering a gastric bypass and am having a consultation next Sunday, because my PCT turned down my funding Im having to pay for it and am going with The WLSG, the surgery will be carried out at The Chelsfield Hospital by Mr El-Hasani.

After reading some of your comments regarding Mr Hasani Im slightly apprehensive about his bed side manner but he does sound like he knows what he's doing.

The questions I have are:

For those who had Mr Hasani, did you have open surgery or keyhole surgery ?
Does anyone know if you have to have a catherta with keyhole surgery ?
How long was your stay in hospital with keyhole surgery - is it shorter than open surgery ?
How quick was you back at work after Keyhole surgery ?

All comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks
xxxxxxx

hi, i had keyhole surgery with mr el hasani in may and yes you do have a catherta and trust me its a god send! i had it done on the nhs and was in hospital from mon evening until the following monday morning. im a stay at home mum but would say i could have gone back to work after 2-3 weeks. he is a fantastic surgeon and i would definatley have the surgery done with him, my wounds are very small and hardly noticeable, ive had no problems whatsoever. the operation has been a huge success, i feel fantastic and in 4 months ive gone from 22 stone 3lbs to 16 stone 9lb. it's ashame you didnt get your funding but it will be the best thing you've ever done, let us know how you get on, good luck for sunday.

Even though I am not having the same surgeon as you or even in the same area but I just wanted to let you know that my surgeon said that if I have my operation by keyhole I would only be in hospital for 4 days and would hopefully be back at work after 3-4 weeks off. But he did say that everyone is different. Just ask at your consultation.

Good luck!!

hi, i had keyhole surgery with mr el hasani in may and yes you do have a catherta and trust me its a god send! i had it done on the nhs and was in hospital from mon evening until the following monday morning. im a stay at home mum but would say i could have gone back to work after 2-3 weeks. he is a fantastic surgeon and i would definatley have the surgery done with him, my wounds are very small and hardly noticeable, ive had no problems whatsoever. the operation has been a huge success, i feel fantastic and in 4 months ive gone from 22 stone 3lbs to 16 stone 9lb. it's ashame you didnt get your funding but it will be the best thing you've ever done, let us know how you get on, good luck for sunday.

Lisa J
Wow all I can say is thank you so much, your weight loss is fantastic and I'm so glad to hear from someone who's had Mr El-Hasani, you've really reassured me.

I will keep you posted, we can compare notes !!

Hi, i am on the waiting list with mr el hasani on the nhs, but its about 9-12 months wait. so im booked in to go private because i just cant wait that long. Im booked in with proffessor McMahon in leeds nuffield, he was the first surgeon in the uk to perform keyhole surgery for the gastric bypass. Have you been quoted a price with mr el hasani ? in leeds i was quoted £9000 with a bmi upto 50 and £10000 with a bmi 51-65. Also reading other posts, you dont have a catherta.

hi, we can defo exchange notes! i'd imagine you would have a catheter seeing as it's the same surgeon!! but honestly it is absolutely fine. i would imagine your stay would be shorter as your going private i think i was in for so long because i was waiting for him to come to discharge me and he was too busy at the private chelsfield hospital! any questions dont hesitate to ask.

hi, we can defo exchange notes! i'd imagine you would have a catheter seeing as it's the same surgeon!! but honestly it is absolutely fine. i would imagine your stay would be shorter as your going private i think i was in for so long because i was waiting for him to come to discharge me and he was too busy at the private chelsfield hospital! any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Im not too worried about the catherter to be honest, just want to get as much info as I can, it's great to talk to people who have actually been through it.
Thanks Lisa J x

I can answer those questions - I went for my pre-op appointment last night at Chelsfield and am having Mr El-Hasani.
1) - keyhole - about 6 little cuts, mainly on left hand side
2) - yes - they put it in while you are under anaesthetic and take it out after 24 hours
3) - if there are no complications you are in for 3 nights
4) - I was told probably 3 or 4 weeks. Sometimes it can be more, but not often.

I started my pre-op diet today - a cheeky little chicken Knorr consomme...!

I can answer those questions - I went for my pre-op appointment last night at Chelsfield and am having Mr El-Hasani.
1) - keyhole - about 6 little cuts, mainly on left hand side
2) - yes - they put it in while you are under anaesthetic and take it out after 24 hours
3) - if there are no complications you are in for 3 nights
4) - I was told probably 3 or 4 weeks. Sometimes it can be more, but not often.

I started my pre-op diet today - a cheeky little chicken Knorr consomme...!

Coolas, thanks for that. Keep us posted and good luck xx

fatagain - Sheila Abadiano at Chelsfield is fantastic - I'm off to the support group tomorrow evening (Friday 13th - lucky!) which is held there at 6pm. It's the second Friday of every month.
I actually have 8 'stab wounds' (yes they're really called that!) but no problems - they are small and have healed well. One is 3cm, the rest under 1cm.
I was in for 4 nights. And recovery time afterwards..... everyone is different - my GP said I should have 5 weeks off post-operation. And really I've needed it - not been in pain, but very drained and I need all my energy for the job I do (teacher - secondary!)

xx lots of love and luck for Sunday :)

what school do you teach at coolas? what a hard job that must be!

yes very draining!! going back on Friday as well.

Back