• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Couple of questions...

Starlit_Cazza

Testing the water...
Ok I am contemplating asking for surgical help. It is early stages in the contemplation, but I am at least considering it as an option...

Got a couple of questions though, hope someone can help?

1)Pregnancy - If you have a band/bypass how does this affect future pregnancies? I have a daughter already and might like to have more in the future lol. How do you get enough calories in you to grow a baby post op? sorry if that is a dumb question.

2)I guess my next big concern...I LOVE food. I mean seriously love it. anything and everything pretty much. And yes I know at the moment I abuse it, but I do actually love it. I am concerned that post surgery the idea of never being to eat a proper meal again might possibly tip me into a spiral of depression. Is that insane?

3)How on earth do you decide between a band and a bypass. I mean what is the difference in the long run. I know they are different procedures, but how do they affect what you can eat afterwards, weight loss that kind of thing?

4)Once you lose all this weight with a band/bypass, how do you maintain? Sorry if this another dumb question! This is all completely new to me

Thanks for any help xxx

Hi there

They are not stupid questions at all, ive seen everyone of those on here before.

Firstly for pregnancy yes inadequte nutrition is not good in pregancy and may result in miscarriage and premature birth and low birth weight babies, but may result in a normal healthy term preganancy, no one will ever be able to tell you the outcome of this and it is something you would discuss with your chosen consultant.
I have heard people having the gastric band because you have water fills put into this that resricts the amount you can intake but this water can be removed so therefore adequete nutrition should be achieved.
Deciding between the 2 procedures is a decision you make with your consultant they will advise you on what is best for you and your eating habits.
I have just got funding through the NHS (PCT) and so i cannot answer the rest of your questions as i not had surgery yet, but the way how i look at it is (i want gastric bypass) is if i can only eventually eat a very small plate full of food cos im full i wont want anything else because i am full does that make sense, so you enjoy what you do it you just dont eat as much and you will be stuffed.

Hope it helps a little , others will be along with alot more advice soon, you have stubled on an amazing site here and welcome and good luck.

Helen
xxxxxx

Hi Caryl

I have been waitign for surgey for years and should be having my gastric bypass in Jan.

I asked the consultant about getting pregnant and he said just don't do it in the first year post op, I know someone who has had bypass and recently had healthy baby, its ok if you eat the right stuff.
I also love food, totally love it, but I have reached the point where my physical pain and suffering has overtaken the desire for food, and although now I love to eat I long for the day where it isn't all I think about I guess.

I was going to have the band but after meeting a lady who had bypass I looked into it more and found out and confirmed by consultant that the band has less risk at time of surgery BUT long term more complications, less weight loss and more hassle
Bypass has more risk at operation stage but long term much less risk of problems.
The band has to be filled through a port in your abdomen and can cause infection etc
Bypass comes with the added "advantage" of dumping syndrome meaning if you eat very sugary food you will feel very ill and never do it again!

oops pressed enter too soon.

Anyway hope that helps, the band can be reversed the bypass is with you for life, so you don't have to worry about how to keep it off it will stay off, may have excess skin with any WLS though.

Any questions please ask I will help if I can
Sxxxxxx

Thanks guys.

I am looking at excess skin whatever I do. Am doing Cambridge at the moment - did manage to lose 5 stone but have rather fallen off the wagon and am struggling to get back on. My concern is that despite losing 5 stone my eating habits havent changed and I am still binging. I am scared I am going to get the whole 11 stone off and then just binge it all back on again :( At least with surgery that will be prevented.

I am single at the mo so hardly likely to have the opportunity to get preggers :) I am also of the mindset at the moment that I have my little girl, if I have another child great, if not it wouldnt be the end of the world :)

Getting anything done is going to depend on the NHS - no way could I afford to get it done privately. So i guess the first step is going to have a chat with my wonderful GP? (who is already taking steps to get me a breast reduction on the NHS once the weight is gone hehe)

Back