• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how much will i roughly lose?

xxsarahxx

Hi guys, fingers crossed in the near future, surgery will be on my cards. I'm hoping for a gastric bypass at Walsall manor with Dr Khan. A friend of mine asked the question today " how much will you lose" up until this point i didn't give it much thought. I'm around 33 stone and the question i ask is " how much will i lose" ?

No one can answer that question for sure Sarah, but most people who have the bypass will go on to lose 60-70% of their excess weight. You are the same height as me, so I happen to know that healthy weight (BMI25) is 11st 7. So if you are starting at 33 stones then your excess weight is currently about 21st 7 - you would expect to lose 60-70% of that.

Having said all that, many people who work extremely hard with their bypass will go on to lose all of their excess weight but equally, those that dont follow the rules will not reach the 60-70% guideline figure.

Hope that helps.

No one can answer that question for sure Sarah, but most people who have the bypass will go on to lose 60-70% of their excess weight. You are the same height as me, so I happen to know that healthy weight (BMI25) is 11st 7. So if you are starting at 33 stones then your excess weight is currently about 21st 7 - you would expect to lose 60-70% of that.

Having said all that, many people who work extremely hard with their bypass will go on to lose all of their excess weight but equally, those that dont follow the rules will not reach the 60-70% guideline figure.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that sam, i think i understand it a little better, i don't for one minute think i will lose it all, but to be healthy and mobile...i'll settle for that as a start. I am willing to work my absolute socks off x

Hi Sarah

I was nearly 32 stone 8 months ago. I've had the sleeve, which, historically, isn't as quick for losing weight as the bypass, but I have lost 12st 1lb so far. Weigh this morning, 19st 9lbs

It's not been easy, I've been a saint when it comes to fatty and sweet foods and plenty of exercise. I was told, with the sleeve, to expect to lose between 30% and 50% of my excess weight in a year. I have lost 63% of it in 8 months!

I hope this is an encouragement for you. I'm not saying this 'will' happen for you, I'm just giving you an idea on what 'can' be achieved through hard work and determination.

Good luck, you're going to do great xx

As said people and weight loss rates vary, but the thing to remember is to use your Bypass as the tool it is intended to be. do that, and there are no two ways about it....the Weight will come off.

Hi Sarah

I was nearly 32 stone 8 months ago. I've had the sleeve, which, historically, isn't as quick for losing weight as the bypass, but I have lost 12st 1lb so far. Weigh this morning, 19st 9lbs

It's not been easy, I've been a saint when it comes to fatty and sweet foods and plenty of exercise. I was told, with the sleeve, to expect to lose between 30% and 50% of my excess weight in a year. I have lost 63% of it in 8 months!

I hope this is an encouragement for you. I'm not saying this 'will' happen for you, I'm just giving you an idea on what 'can' be achieved through hard work and determination.

Thanks mixman, it definitely gives me hope to hear how well you've done, why did you opt for the sleeve?

As said people and weight loss rates vary, but the thing to remember is to use your Bypass as the tool it is intended to be. do that, and there are no two ways about it....the Weight will come off.
I'm beginning to realise that it's all up to me, lets hope when i finally get the go ahead i can pull it off, i'm so worried about being the only person in the bypass history that fails to lose anything x

Thanks mixman, it definitely gives me hope to hear how well you've done, why did you opt for the sleeve?

The sleeve was done because I was too big inside. Dr Ackroyd, when he 'went in' didn't think it was safe to do the bypass so he gave me a sleeve. I'm very happy with the results and have no intention of having another operation for the full bypass.

i thought the bypass would fail me for along time aswell.. i think we all did! it wont if u follow the guide lines thou :) good luck with ur first appoitment xx

Hi Sarah i think a lot of us worry that we will fail, but what we must all remember is that wls is just a tool to help us and if we follow the rules that their is no way we can not lose weight.
The bigger we are the faster we lose it and you will be amazed at how fast you will lose the weight post op.
When i got initially referred for wls i was 26 stone and i was told if i did not lose at least 2 stone then i would have to have the sleeve, but thankfully now i am able to have my bypass next week.
Good luck with your journey xx

Sarah, you are posting exactly what happened with me and my manager! She wanted to know what weight i was aiming for. How can either of us answer these people? For so many years i've dieted and failed and much as i tell myself differently the little demon in my head says '' you'll be the one that doesn't lose''.... We have to be positive, we are going to lose and as others say the more we have to lose the quicker it goes...

Keep the faith Sarah, you are gonna do great xx

If you follow the rules before and after the op you stand a very good chance of losing all of your excess weight. I have lost more than my excess weight but I have followed all the rules given by my team. I have become a bit obsessive actually about following the rules but it has paid off.

Hi Sarah

jeeeeeez mixman, thats one hell of an acheivment and you must be thrilled to bits, i really hope i can be as strong as you and can be half the man i am over the next 12 months :)

Beano if you dance every night for an hour like the man in your signature and you will be lol... Bypass or not lol

roch y cudnt u have a bypass at 26 stone? my friend had one at 26.7 x

Hi guys, fingers crossed in the near future, surgery will be on my cards. I'm hoping for a gastric bypass at Walsall manor with Dr Khan. A friend of mine asked the question today " how much will you lose" up until this point i didn't give it much thought. I'm around 33 stone and the question i ask is " how much will i lose" ?

Hiya Sarah,

Just to let you know you are not alone i to had my op at wallsall under dr khan i started of at 33 and half stone i know weigh 18 stone 1 lb. I had my op in march last year. I will say i am slowing down very much now hope this gives you hope. Janey:D:D:D

Hiya Sarah,

Just to let you know you are not alone i to had my op at wallsall under dr khan i started of at 33 and half stone i know weigh 18 stone 1 lb. I had my op in march last year. I will say i am slowing down very much now hope this gives you hope. Janey:D:D:D
wow, i can't believe how well you've done,it must feel amazing. it really does give me hope to see your transformation. did you have to do 6months weight management? i'm starting it on the 16th march. Hope they give me the op at the end of it. i feel i want to sit you down and give you the third degree on the benefits of surgery etc, i love hearing about how it makes people feel. thanks again for giving me hope x:)

i had a friend who was 30st at time of op....now 18 months in she has lost 16st :)
you'll get there....good luck

i had a friend who was 30st at time of op....now 18 months in she has lost 16st :)
you'll get there....good luck
that's fantastic, i'd deffo be happy with that, i don't expect miracles, just want life to be alittle easier :)

Back