• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CPAP

civvygit

ass-kickin'-mama
Sorry not a weight lose diary, but I just can't figure out where to post this.

Please feel free to move it to the right forum. :)

I've got moderate sleep apnea and have been issued with a CPAP, I started off with the face mask which, due to having my nose broken in a rugby accident years ago, put pressure on the repair site on my skull and caused swelling and under-skin bruising. I called the team at the Whittington and they told me to hold off using it and come back in. I've now been issued with a nasal pillow, which, even at the smallest size, is causing me discomfort and chafing of the skin at the entrance to my nasal passage.

I begin the night with the CPAP on, but after about an hour or 2 it wakes me up as it's just so bloody painful!

I sleep on my stomach, so this is also interfering with my sleep as I simply can't do so when using the CPAP.

I'm tired and since I only need about 4 hours sleep a night it's beginning to take it's toll on my daily life. :eek:

I need advice from those who have, rather than those who have learned about, wearing the nasal pillow or face mask and adjusted to enable full use and a successful treatment.

Here's hoping. :break_diet:

:wave_cry:

Hi

I also use CPAP and use both the full face mask, but only when I have a cold and a blocked nose and the small mask that just fits over the nose. Is this what you have as I have not heared of the term nasal pollow before. If it is when I first started using it I used to have problems with it chafing of the septum, but after a while I got used to adjusting the straps propperly and no longer have any problems, and I have a moustache to cope with as well. Have you though about putting a dab of vasaline on the top lop to help with the chafing and give a better seal.

Have a play with the straps, they dont need to be too tight to work.

Just a though, hope I have been of help

Paul

Nasal pillow

swift-lt.jpg

I'll try the Vaseline, it's really driving me nuts. I'm actually having to take a nap in the day, with the CPAP on, to try and catch-up with my sleep!

ahhh how annoying for you; I could not get on with the pillow either, yet some on here swear by them. There are lot's of masks on the market the clinic should be able to find one to suit you - however sleeping on your front is going to make any mask put pressure on your skin. Have you tried sleeping on one of those V pillows so your face can fall through the gap? Good luck xx

I think I'm going to have to try the four pillow option and move my hubby onto the sofa bed until I get used to it. I'm waking him up and he's useless the next day bless him. :)

Sorry not a weight lose diary, but I just can't figure out where to post this.

Please feel free to move it to the right forum. :)

I've got moderate sleep apnea and have been issued with a CPAP, I started off with the face mask which, due to having my nose broken in a rugby accident years ago, put pressure on the repair site on my skull and caused swelling and under-skin bruising. I called the team at the Whittington and they told me to hold off using it and come back in. I've now been issued with a nasal pillow, which, even at the smallest size, is causing me discomfort and chafing of the skin at the entrance to my nasal passage.

I begin the night with the CPAP on, but after about an hour or 2 it wakes me up as it's just so bloody painful!

I sleep on my stomach, so this is also interfering with my sleep as I simply can't do so when using the CPAP.

I'm tired and since I only need about 4 hours sleep a night it's beginning to take it's toll on my daily life. :eek:

I need advice from those who have, rather than those who have learned about, wearing the nasal pillow or face mask and adjusted to enable full use and a successful treatment.

Here's hoping. :break_diet:

:wave_cry:

Hiya,

I have tried a few masks and returned to the full face. I suspect you have two options.

option a) try a gel filled version of the full face mask. These are the most expensive and the nhs gives them as a last resort.

option b) use medical tape to tape in the nasal inserts. This will stop them moving and thus irritating you at night. Be aware that this will make your nose sore if you don't moisturise, so use baby oil and then vaseline to ensure that the skin doesn't end up chaffed.

Hope this helps :)

also second to that, try a few different sizes of the facial masks to see if you can get one that sits in such a way that it doesn't irritate the painful point on your nose. I was getting bad pressure marks at one point - turns out it was because I had lost weight and needed a bigger mask 0.o

Back