• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

first night with cpap :-(

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Hiya

Used the cpap last night for first time, and we never got on great, just find it hard to get comfy and the mask kept moving and remember waking wondering what the hell was on my face, think i managed 1am till 5am sleep with it, but then took it off, I have the one over my nose and mouth, is it better with just the mouth or nose one..... I love to sleep on my side but could'nt with the tube and mask kept moving. Am so tired today :cry:

Hi Bexs

Sorry it didn't go well for you :-(
I too have a full face mask which goes over my nose and mouth. I sleep on my side - I think in time you'll become less aware of the mask and tube moving.
The first few nights it will seem 'alien' to you but it will get easier :)

Faith xx

Thanks hun, hope it does x

Hey,

Don't beat yourself up, first night is a nightmare.

A few tips:

If you have a headboard that you can put the pipe over, this allows me to sleep on my side, with the pip then going straight over the headboard. A soft pillow also helps as it allows the mask to sink into the pillow.

It took me a good 6 months before I had my first full nights sleep with the mask on. I use to rip the mask off in my sleep and wake up with it at the side of me.

But now, it makes so much difference, and the results show that too. Now I don't wake up during my sleep, and never wake up for the toilet until the morning, where before I would be awake 4-5 times.

Stick with it, and just wear it for how ever long you can. And build up from that.

In the end you wont want to sleep without it on.

Thanks Gary for the tips, much appreciated x

Ah Becky sorry you had a rough night with it. I hope it gets easier with time x :hug99:

Hey Bex-wake-up!wake-up lol:)

Aw sorry you had a bad first night-lets hope tonight is betterxxx

Keep on with it a little more each night, you'll soon get used to it and soon you won't want to go to bed without it lol!

Thanks do you think its okay to do as much as i can and take it off, and build up slowly. Mags, not sure think am on the list now had all this done. x

I was told to I need to be doing 4+ hours a night to gain the benefits from the cpap. I am now doing around 7 hours a night. Build up in your own time, for the first few nights even weeks you may only do a couple of hours some nights other nights you may do 5 or 6 hours. Once it becomes consistent you know you are an established cpap user.

Thank you so much makes me feel abit better about going to bed tonight x

Hi Bex,sorry to hear that and welcome to my world. I hate this mask,the longest I can do is until 3am. My biggest problem is an air leak,I tried everything,even rang hospital for advice,but they said this happens to some people. I fall asleep ok, but at some point it starts blowing the air out,so I have to switch that bloody machine off and back on. Do it couple of times during the night and at some point just get angry and rip it off my face. Second problem is dry mouth, because of that air leak it doesn't use the water,so machine doesn't work properly on me :( I'm still trying to wear it every night tho.
Hope you will find your way to get used to it hun x

Sorry Bex,clicked post reply ans saw you message about feeling better,hope I didn't spoil this mood :)))

Thanks Solga - i have the same problem with the dry mouth and air was escaping last night, 3am it came off, just hope tonight be better. Hope your ok x

Now ladies my advice to that is before you lay down, put your mask on and play around with the straps, if you have the same mask as me, it also has a head band that turns and is adjustable. Its just a case of trying to get it comfortable on the face and at the same time, trying to stop the air escaping, sont worry too much about this unless it goes in your eye, as the mask that i have, has a air vent at the front anyway, its just the vacum you need to try and achieve.

Regarding the dry mouth, I suffered with this too, told my hospital and they gave me a humidifier that fitted onto the cpap machine, to put moisture in my mouth at the same same, it made so much difference.

Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• DS100HS-Respironics-CPAP-md.jpg
    DS100HS-Respironics-CPAP-md.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Gary will ask them, am just very down about this at the moment, which is not like me, usually to happy bubbly one, but all want to do is cry, think its all getting to me and the mask not helping as im tired. sorry to moan..

Thank you for your advice.Unfortunately I've tried all the positions of that mask on my face,tried it tight and loose,tried to blow out an air before I switch on that machine,but nothing helped yet :( I don't know what you mean by "humidifier",but if it's that machine on the picture than it's exactly the same as mine.
Have to say that last night/this morning my mask went off my face just at 3.15am,which is a quite good for me :)
Hope you will feel better about it Bex,good luck to both of us xx

How long have you been using yours hun, hope we have a better nite. Have you had your bypass hun xx

Back