• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Daily menus - vegetarians

TiaLi

How are you finding portion control? Do you eat the same every day ?? Are you adding protein powders to things?? Xx
I think portions are reasonably similar, but hard to tell sometimes. Obviously some things are more dense than others as well, even though it may look like a similar portion from a purely visual point. I pretty much just stick to 3 meals a day + one snack (more to boost protein intake than anything else), always use a side plate and stop if I get full before I've eaten everything. Prior to surgery I'd just keep shoving the food in, I never left food on the plate. I fluctuate between 600-900 cals/day at the moment I think. I've just bought kitchen scales so I can calculate things with a bit more precision.

In the beginning I was all about counting protein and focusing solely on that, but I've now balanced it out a bit more with fruit, veg and things like ryvita, because I need more fibre to keep the plumbing happy. I add protein powder to my home made frozen berry shakes, but it's not very much. I can't stand the taste of sweeteners post surgery, so I only use a little.

How are you finding things?

TiaLi

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: 1 Wasa Swedish crispbread (so much nicer than Ryvita!) with smashed avocado, red onion and crumbled feta cheese.
Lunch: Home made "ice cream" - basically just my homemade shake made super thick by adjusting the ingredients - consisting of frozen banana, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberry, tiny amount of unsweetened almond milk, and vanilla-flavoured protein powder. It was so hot in London yesterday!
Dinner: Salad made of spinach, watercress, rocket, grilled half-fat halloumi, cherry tomatoes, red onion and low-fat honey/mustard dressing

Snacks:
None. Or well, my vitamins ;)
Drinks: Lost count somewhere after 2 litres

IMG_20170621_124141_376a.jpg IMG_20170622_161828_510a.jpg IMG_20170620_181913_190a.jpg

TiaLi

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: Cheese omelette
Lunch: Quinoa salad with tomatoes, peas, spring onions and feta cheese
Dinner: Same as lunch

Snacks: 1 Snack Pack with apple slices
Drinks: App 1 litre sugar free lemon squash, 500 ml water. In my daydreams I also had a jug of Pimms. It was lovely.

IMG_20170622_161544_166a.jpg IMG_20170622_205025_226a.jpg

missymoo

Only two people know about my wls (July 2017) no reason other than private person. On milk pre op at min 10lbs lost first week so a good start. I spend a lot of time reading posts and find yours fab and will certainly be trying some of your lovely meal ideas when I'm post.

I must admit made me smile when I heard his name

TiaLi

Only two people know about my wls (July 2017) no reason other than private person. On milk pre op at min 10lbs lost first week so a good start. I spend a lot of time reading posts and find yours fab and will certainly be trying some of your lovely meal ideas when I'm post.

I must admit made me smile when I heard his name
Thank you, great that you find them helpful. Congrats on your pre-op weight loss, that's a great start! Hopefully that means your liver will be nice and small as well. I'm also a very private person, I only told two people (one of which was out of necessity as I needed her help), so I understand where you're coming from.

TiaLi

So yesterday I had:

Breakfast: Home made tropical shake topped with chia seeds (frozen pineapple, frozen banana, frozen mango, frozen papaya, almond milk, protein powder)
Lunch: 1.5 slices Wasa crispbread with a thin layer of Philadelphia light, 1 reduced fat cheese slice, green peppers and fresh thyme (162 cals, 10g protein)
Dinner: 125g salad made of spinach, lettuce, boiled egg, tomato, avocado and cheese

Snacks: 1 Babybel Light (42 cals, 5g protein)
Drinks: App 2 litres (mix of water and sugar free lemon squash)

IMG_20170624_145532_690a.jpg IMG_20170625_195536_763a.jpg IMG_20170625_165140_743a.jpg

TiaLi

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: 1 slice Wasa crispbread with 60g smashed avocado, 2 chopped cherry tomatoes, 1/2 slice crumbled reduced fat cheese, red onion (209 cals, 9.5g protein)
Lunch: Piece of jacket potato (95g) with low-fat cottage cheese, red onion, fresh thyme and herbal salt (174 cals, 14g protein)
Dinner: Omelett (1 egg) with chopped green pepper, red onion and Babybel Light cheese, with handful of spinach, rocket and watercress salad, 2 cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of low cal honey/mustard dressing (137 cals, 13.5g protein)

Snacks: 1 Babybel Light (42 cals, 5g protein)
Drinks: 0.4 litres no added sugar pomegranate & aronia juice, 1 litre of water

IMG_20170627_163704_676a.jpg IMG_20170627_120431_760a.jpg IMG_20170626_183846_889a.jpg

TiaLi

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: Home made thick berry protein boost shake and 1 scrambled egg with Babybel light, chives and Quorn pepperoni.
Lunch: 1.5 mini-falafels with bulgur salad (bulgur, feta, chopped parsley, chopped cucumber, chopped red onion, chopped peppers), 2 cherry tomatoes and hummus
Dinner: 1 Wasa crispbread with cottage cheese, 2 slices chopped Quorn pepperoni, chives and fresh thyme.

Snacks: none
Drinks: 1.5 litres sugar-free lemon squash and water

IMG_20170630_160236_542a.jpg IMG_20170629_173541_148a.jpg IMG_20170630_084207_527a.jpg

TiaLi

Ate out with friends for the first time yesterday. They don't know about my surgery, so I have been a bit worried about how to handle social things like going to lunch etc. It wasn't as awkward as I had thought though - one of my friends did make a comment about how little I ate (I ordered a soup, but couldn't finish it all), but I simply replied that I am on a diet and trying to lose weight, and that was that. Which is true!

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: 1 Wasa crispbread with cottage cheese, 2 Quorn pepperoni slices, 1 sliced cherry tomato, fresh thyme
Lunch: Chilled pea, herb and cucumber soup (so this is the restaurant dish, obviously - almost too pretty to eat! Ate about half)
Dinner: Cherry tomatoes, reduced fat mozzarella, torn fresh basil, olive oil and herbal salt

Snacks: Half a pack (15g) MyProtein bbq flavoured soy puffs
Drinks: Didn't really keep count yesterday, but probably in the region of 2 litres (water and no added sugar lemon squash)

IMG_20170702_192112_994a.jpg IMG_20170702_164607_654a.jpg IMG_20170702_193415_209a.jpg

TiaLi

Prior to surgery I was a massive (pun intended) pasta fan, but following my bypass I have staid away from it due to the high carb content. Today I found these though - a spaghetti/noodle made from soybeans! This means that it is not only low in carbs, but also very high in protein and fibre. Only 12g carbs per 100g (in regular pasta it is usually around 75g) - and a whopping 42g of protein and 23g of fibre.

Am looking forward to trying these in either a pasta-type dish or a stir-fry.

IMG_20170620_222406_713a.jpg

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I'm loving seeing all the lovely meals your having @TiaLi !

I was a veggie for many, many years although now I only really have chicken and turkey so I could quite easily drop them :D

ItsmePaula

TiaLi they are scrummy looking. I am a pasta girl too. Love Love Love.. I will keep my eyes open. Where did you see them or can you get them in any super market?

TiaLi

I'm loving seeing all the lovely meals your having @TiaLi !

I was a veggie for many, many years although now I only really have chicken and turkey so I could quite easily drop them :D
Thanks @Mazza ! :) I'm almost enjoying my meals more now than prior to surgery! The flavours are more intense - but most importantly, eating is not riddled with all these exhausting emotions. The intense cravings beforehand, the high you get when eating something you crave, the regret after you binge.... Like I told my dietitian the other day - it has freed up so much time and energy to not obsess about food all the time! I eat for fuel, not because I'm hungry (whether that hunger is head hunger or real). In fact, I could easily skip a meal. I only eat three meals a day because I should. I do hope that will last a while, but I know it'll get more difficult the further out I get.

TiaLi they are scrummy looking. I am a pasta girl too. Love Love Love.. I will keep my eyes open. Where did you see them or can you get them in any super market?
I got them from Ocado @ItsmePaula . They have recently changed the packaging, so the picture on Ocado will look a bit different, but if you search for "organic soybean spaghetti", it will come up. The brand is called Explore. Haven't seen them in any other supermarket, but I think Holland & Barrett stocks them as well.

They're a bit pricey at £3.29, but considering how much my food bill has been cut since the surgery I don't really mind paying premiums for more healthy options at times.

TiaLi

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: 1 Wasa crispbread with smashed avocado and crumbled low-fat feta, topped with chilli flakes and sesame seeds
Lunch: Stack of tomato, low-fat mozzarella, avocado and red onion, topped with basil pesto
Dinner: 1 cheese & onion crispbake (only managed to eat half), salad, 2 cherry tomatoes and low-cal honey/mustard dressing.

Snacks:
1 snack pack apple slices
Drinks: 200ml skimmed milk, 1.5 litres no added sugar lemon squash

IMG_20170704_135546_487a.jpg IMG_20170703_180407_632a.jpg IMG_20170704_183031_667a.jpg

TiaLi

I checked out the soya pasta. They do it in morrisons. I didn't catch the price, i was excited they did it lol!!
Oh great! There's no Morrisons close to where I live so I haven't been in one of their stores for ages. I hope it tastes good, the online reviews were very mixed.

TiaLi

My meals yesterday:

Breakfast: 1 Wasa crispbread with chopped cherry tomatoes and low-fat mozzarella mixed with basil pesto and pine nuts
Lunch: Home made tropical protein shake/ice cream (frozen banana, frozen mango/pineapple/papaya, almond milk and protein powder) topped with toasted almond flakes and chia seeds
Dinner: 1 egg omelette with cherry tomatoes, low-fat cheese, chives and a side salad with low-cal honey/mustard dressing

Snacks:
None
Drinks: No idea how much I drank yesterday....probably not as much as I should have

IMG_20170706_115951_424a.jpg IMG_20170706_191925_227a.jpg IMG_20170706_190951_918a.jpg

TiaLi

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg with light cheese and chives, 1 ramekin home-made thick protein shake (frozen banana, frozen blueberries, unsweetened almond milk & protein powder), topped with toasted almond flakes and chia seeds
Lunch: Lebanese mezze mix - mujadara (bulgur and lentils cooked with cumin and onion), shanklish salad (tomatoes, red onion, shanklish cheese, sumac and parsley), hummus and two kalamata olives
Dinner: 1 Wasa crispbread with a thin layer of Philadelphia Light, slice of Leerdammer light cheese and 1 chopped cherry tomato

Snacks: None
Drinks: 200 ml apple juice, 0.5 litres water, 0.5 litres no added sugar lemon squash

IMG_20170705_085321_067a.jpg IMG_20170707_184934_349a.jpg IMG_20170705_234105_329a.jpg