• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Daily protein requirments.

Hi all,
I hope someone can clear this little one up for me.
I am 5 days post bypass surgery, foods going well no sickness etc. However all the information from the doctors and dieticians suggests that you go on a high protein diet to help the healing process. This is further enforced by links and articles and links from this forum which suggest that a pos surgery patient should be eating 90 plus grams of protein on a daily basis. My current daily intake is around 35 grams typically made up from 1 scrambled egg for breakfast, small low fat low sugar yogurt fruit smoothy mid morning, half a tin of sardine fillets in tomato sauce for lunch, smoothly mid afternoon, half tin sardines for tea tomato juice for supper and plenty of fluids in-between. Now when you take into account that a typical egg has 6 grams of protein and a tin of sardines has around 25 grams of protein it doesn’t take a genius that ether 15 egg of 4 tins of sardines a day is not do-able.
I have obviously missed something somewhere. So can someone explain to this dummy were he’s cocked up.

Cheers
AL :confused:

You haven't cocked up anywhere mate, it's just one thing that's not really passed on well.

Protein shakes are used by a lot of people on here. Some of them can taste not very nice so I'd try and get some samples if you can first to see what you like and what you don't. You can get these at www.myprotein.co.uk unfortunately the site is blocked to my PC's at work so I can't give you the exact link to the product samples I'm afraid.

Thanks a lot Mixman I had a look on the holland and barrett web site and there a quite a few protein drinks around 24grams of protein per serving all low fat and all around the 110 cal mark. i think i,m going to introduce them as my mid morning/ afternoon meals
Once again thank
Al

Hi Andrea
quite a few flavours including chocolate at holland and barrett. I don't think you need to be worried about 1.6 grams of fat or sugar per serving in the ones suggested by mixman when most low fat yogurt can have the same or more fat and up to 6 x the sugar. your still only looking at around 100 cals for a meal

Andrea you probably wont need to use instead of a meal. The amount you can eat is very little so any extra in the form of a shake is a bonus not something I would be worried about. I was told to try and take in 80gm of protein a day for the first 8 weeks and I have really struggled. Not keen on any of the protein shakes either which makes it even harder. May try the second one mixxy recommends just to see if it is any better than the normal ones which make me gag!

Well I'm sure a few of you could stick a couple of quid each to try them first.

The thing is that it can get quite expensive. £36 for 5lb in weight but that lasts a while. But it's expensive if you fork out and find you don't like it.

The best one for the samples is www.myprotein.co.uk They have a range of about 8 different samples of flavours but the website is banned where I am at work

Right then i'm of down meadow hell to holland and barrotts to pick up some protein drinks .
Once again thanks to all for the help and advice.

Back