• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling to eat

So I had a slim fast shake around 11am, which took me nrly 2hrs to drink it all (a bottle - 325mls) and been sipping water since and now have just had to force down just under half a tin of tomato soup as I know I need to eat but I just feel full up completely (I know this is the point of the surgery lol) and am worried about getting my 60g of protein in daily.

Yesterday I managed a protein shake, some orange juice and half a tin of soup for lunch and dinner. Which added up to around 40g protein...not enough if I follow what the surgeon advises. Even that was hard going as feel full constantly.

Any advice on how to get in the recommended protein?

Also, I read that some people's taste buds and perceptions of sweetness etc change but didn't realise the extent to which it would. I had a vanilla shake yday (which I'd drunk plenty of times pre op) and it was disgustingly sweet!!! Couldn't drink it. Strange!

Thanks Kevin, waiting for my mum to collect my high protein shake from post office but they have dodgy opening times so hopefully tomorrow! Was given a list of drinks I should/could have from hosp and the slim fast was on it so thought I'd make do with those until the other stuff gets here!

Will I be ok to suck a dairylee cheese do you think or will that not be 'liquid' enough??

True! Thanks xxx

I've been having dairylea since I came home from the hospital last week. My surgeon tells us to go straight onto puree though, after the first few days post surgery when it's just water. I have no problems with a dairylea as long as I remember to suck it slowly lol.

However, I'm having a lot of wind pain and I think I might be relying on dairy products too much. It's all yoghurt, milky coffees and dairylea at present.

Aww Yorkiegal :( I had a bit of wind pain but nothing major. Looked like I was pregnant for a few day though, stomach was solid lol Surgeon gave me Infacol on discharge though so that's helped loads!

This is a hard time to get through but its not forever!
have homemade soup if poss,milky coffee,very thin ready brek/weetabix,semolina thinned with milk,yoghurt.

Trouble is that it's not just wind! I must be developing some very powerful muscles right now from all the clenching I'm having to do when I walk down the street! I was never so pleased to find a public toilet as I was this afternoon.

Aww, not good! I went this morning (fo what it was worth), first time since Sat AM! (Sorry for the info)

Hope you start to feel better soon.xx

Trouble is that it's not just wind! I must be developing some very powerful muscles right now from all the clenching I'm having to do when I walk down the street! I was never so pleased to find a public toilet as I was this afternoon.

This often happens to me, depending on what I have eaten. I find it a welcome change, if a little scary if you aren't near a bathroom, from the constipation that is associated with wls.
Lynne x

Hi yorkie

If you have been having a lot of milk products it could be the lactose in the milk giving u the toilet problems, it can after surgery even if you where okay prior xxx

Rest assured hun, what you're experiencing is perfectly normal. You're doing great with your food/liquid intake. It's very early on and to manage 60 plus grams of protein the first couple of weeks would be difficult. Just do as well as you can and you'll be fine! I remember thinking 'boy I'm 'eating' all day!' It takes a long time to get everything down, because you can only take in tiny sips of everything and you are full up very quickly. All very normal!

Also the change in taste - very normal.

As for the dairylea - I waited 10 days before having anything that isn't 100% liquid. Try to stick to the hospital diet advice as good as you can. I know the liquids get boring really quickly!

Don't worry and keep up the good work, you're doing well xx

Your biggest priority right now is fluids, nothing to do with protein intake hitting targets.... If you can manage it with milky drinks all good as your doing fluid n food in the same hit... As for slimfasts and been sweet, water them down with some milk, who said you have to drink it all in one go? pop it in the fridge and spread it out...

At the moment food is not important, recovery is, good luck xx

Back