• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

date for surgery

shelly130672

Hi all,i have just been put on the waiting list for gastric sleeve at the whittington hospital north london under dr sufi.I started the process of appointments,tests ect in march 2014,on my last appointment about a month ago i had to hand the form in at the admissions desk for me to be put on the list,at that time the computers were down and i was told my date would probably be in september 2015,does anyone know do i just wait for them to send an appointment out and how long it would take them to do that or if i should contact them,or will they send out an appointment letter nearer to my date,i have been told now that i wont have anoother clinic appointment until my pre assessment, irritated as would like to know a date so as i can pre plan,any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,i haven't known what to do to be honest,because i didn't know if it was normal or not to receive a date not long after like any other procedure or if i had to wait longer,it just seems weird if i was told it would be in September why havent i had a letter

Thanks purplepippa,I rang up Whittington hospital and after a lot of call transfers and talking to different people,managed to get a date for last week August,just needed that little bit of pushing,happy days ahead

Brilliant! It's too easy to get lost in the system if you don't check on things! You're under a great team though. I had a sleeve with Mr Sufi 6 months ago next week and after the initial healing it's been pretty plain sailing for me. Have already lost 70% of my excess weight and can eat everything - just small amounts. Good luck!

Brilliant! It's too easy to get lost in the system if you don't check on things! You're under a great team though. I had a sleeve with Mr Sufi 6 months ago next week and after the initial healing it's been pretty plain sailing for me. Have already lost 70% of my excess weight and can eat everything - just small amounts. Good luck!

Sorry for hijacking the above thread but just wanted to say how reassuring I found your post. I am having my sleeve in 3 weeks time so hearing how well you have done is brilliant! Thanks you!

Jackie
X

So happy that I have reassured you Jackie. It is truly one of the best decisions I have ever made. My only regret is I didn't do it sooner! Good luck with your op. Will be good to hear how you get on

So happy that I have reassured you Jackie. It is truly one of the best decisions I have ever made. My only regret is I didn't do it sooner! Good luck with your op. Will be good to hear how you get on

Thanks. I will keep you posted. x

Hi I was just wondering what the process is at whittington after surgery? I was originally having a band fitted but am now having the sleeve so haven't a clue what to expect. Are visitors allowed? Did you get taken to a ward after? What's the after pain like?
Sorry for all the questions. X

Hi I was just wondering what the process is at whittington after surgery? I was originally having a band fitted but am now having the sleeve so haven't a clue what to expect. Are visitors allowed? Did you get taken to a ward after? What's the after pain like? Sorry for all the questions. X

You go to Victoria Ward overnight (I had to stay for 2 because of minor complications). Can't remember the visiting times but yes you are allowed visitors. The pain for me was pretty constant but controllable. People on here frequently complain about wind pain but I didn't seem to have a problem with that thankfully. I've had keyhole surgery before and you do feel like you've been kicked in the stomach by a horse! Every movement has to be thought about as they have messed with your abdominal muscles. I couldn't tolerate the dispersable tramadol so survived for 2 weeks on calpol! It definitely wasn't a walk in the park and I do remember wondering if I'd done the right thing but it is pretty extensive surgery so pain is part of the healing process. Don't do too much too soon and don't go back to work before you have to. I had 7 weeks off but when I got back I hit the ground running - good energy, eating normal food and enough of it etc.

Good luck!

You go to Victoria Ward overnight (I had to stay for 2 because of minor complications). Can't remember the visiting times but yes you are allowed visitors. The pain for me was pretty constant but controllable. People on here frequently complain about wind pain but I didn't seem to have a problem with that thankfully. I've had keyhole surgery before and you do feel like you've been kicked in the stomach by a horse! Every movement has to be thought about as they have messed with your abdominal muscles. I couldn't tolerate the dispersable tramadol so survived for 2 weeks on calpol! It definitely wasn't a walk in the park and I do remember wondering if I'd done the right thing but it is pretty extensive surgery so pain is part of the healing process. Don't do too much too soon and don't go back to work before you have to. I had 7 weeks off but when I got back I hit the ground running - good energy, eating normal food and enough of it etc. Good luck!

Thank you for all your help, I'm so excited now :)
I have just read your previous threads, you have done amazingly well and look like a totally different person. Well done xx

Thank you! I'm excited for you! I have made losing weight my new hobby so have become quite obsessional about it. I log food and count calories every day but it seems to be working and I'm enjoying it so....!

I apologise as well Shelley! As already said chase everything up, I had to for mine and was told the 4th of June over the phone but when the letter arrived it said the 11th was so annoyed as had booked time off and arranged childcare etc x

Hi,thanks everyone for the replys,after a lot of chasing people and phone calls,I was given a date for surgery on the 26th August,letter came through the post a couple of days ago to confirm it,dread to think what would of happened if I hadn't chased them up.

Hi,thanks everyone for the replys,after a lot of chasing people and phone calls,I was given a date for surgery on the 26th August,letter came through the post a couple of days ago to confirm it,dread to think what would of happened if I hadn't chased them up.

So glad you have your date in writing, the time will go so fast and won't be long before you start the LSD. Xx

Great news Shelly! I had my pre-op appointment about a month before the op. They took blood, filled in a health questionnaire and had a general chat. They also gave info about the pre-op diet which is 4 slimfast shakes a day for 2 weeks. The tesco ultraslim are much nicer and a hell of a lot cheaper! I'm so excited for you! Keep letting us know how you're getting on.

Date for surgery has been changed to the 19th August,one week sooner than expected,mixture of excitement and nerves,goodness knows what I will be like as it gets closer

With less than a week to go myself I can tell you exactly how you may feel closer to your op date, excited, nervous and emotional, I actually feel like I did as a kid in the week leading up to Christmas. You will be surprised how fast August will come round xx

Back