• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

date for surgery

Hi purple pippa,just wondered if you could tell me what happens with regards to vitamins and b12 injections after surgery at the Whittington hospital,is there any thing I need to get in or do they supply you while you are in hospital,not sure how it all works

Hi shelly. They advise you to take a chewable multivitamin such as centrum chewable for first 3 months after which I moved on to a solid one. My GP prescribed 3 monthly B12 injections although I haven't needed them yet and calcichew tablets for my calcium. I've just found out that I am quite zinc deficient so my GP has prescribed high dose solvazinc for 2 months. I'm lucky I think that my GP practice is so supportive of the surgery I've had (they did refer me after all). Not everyone on here has found it to be the case.

I'm supposed to book my first appointment online at the whitt but there's no appointments available so I will follow purplepippas advice and call them, hopefully will get a result same as you shelly. All the best.

Nafpnd,I would certainly do that,although it was a bit frustrating with all the department's I was put through to,it was certainly worth it,would be interested to see how u get on,good luck

Thanks purple pippa,I know I can rely on you for excellent advice,know dout this wont be the last you will hear from me,I have hundreds of questions swimming round in my head,take care

I totally agree with pippa the care at the Whittington before during and after surgery was brilliant, day 3 post op and all is going well x

Nafpnd,I would certainly do that,although it was a bit frustrating with all the department's I was put through to,it was certainly worth it,would be interested to see how u get on,good luck
Shelly, I decided to give it another week, called the choose and book line who said the correct procedure is for the hospital to contact me within 3 weeks and to follow up with the surgery thereafter. I thought who has all that time?! it would be a month before I even got an appointment. I called the hospital and they said the referral was not even in their system and suggested the surgery fax the referral through, they said that would be quickest. So I called the surgery and they will fax it. Will call and check at the end of the week...

Nafpnd
My best advice is keep the pressure on,so many things get lost in the system,and everyone is so quick to blame each other,I would leave it another week and start pestering again,good luck and keep us updated

Wow can't belive that both my gp and the hospital did their bit today. The whit called me within an hour of speaking to my gp to tell me they got the fax and that they are processing me and will give me a consultation date soon. Yay a result!

Hi Hun

It's a great feeling when you get the date. Mine is on the 23rd July and pre op is 24th June.

Wishing you all the best and can't wait to hear about your journey xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi violetangel.
You are having yours a month before me,so you will have to let me know how you get on,there's some amazing people on here, and brilliant advice,good luck

Hi purple pippa
Do you know how many weeks before your op at the Whittington that you have to start your liver shrinkage diet,is it 3 or 4 weeks

Hi Shelly! I only had to do 2 weeks but I think it depends on BMI. I was at the support group last night and there was a lady there who had had to do 6 weeks! They'll let you know at the pre-op assessment appointment. They only do the vlc shakes option at the Whitt. Get the Tesco ultraslim ones - much cheaper and nicer than slimfast, even the ready made ones. The ones you make from powder taste fresher though cos you're making them with fresh milk.

I'm doing my pre op I'm 2 weeks into it and I'm having the tesco ultra slim but chocolate flavour only as I don't fancy the other ones. They are really nice and tesco have an offer on 3 boxes for £10. I had 5 diets to choose from but decided on the meal replacement diet I'm allowed 3/4 shakes or bars a day. Good luck with it all.

hi guys, newbie here, wishing you the best of luck shelly!!!!

im also going for the sleeve at the whittington

wondering how i could possibly figure out which tests they would do on me and how long its all going to take, got my first consult beginning of sept!

kay & shelly how long did they tell you the waiting list was once you were approved.

xxx

hi guys, newbie here, wishing you the best of luck shelly!!!! im also going for the sleeve at the whittington wondering how i could possibly figure out which tests they would do on me and how long its all going to take, got my first consult beginning of sept! kay & shelly how long did they tell you the waiting list was once you were approved. xxx

Hi my consultation was end of January and was with Dr Omar Khan, I had proof of exercise and proof of previous dieticians appointments I was put straight on the list (must add Dr Khan operated on my gall bladder in November and diagnosed liver disease also)
I was told the list was 3 months long so was expecting a date for late April but in actual fact my op date was the 7th of June.

Have you attended the group education class yet?

Hi kay

Thanks for your response!!

What proof of excersise and diets did you show him like what do you mean.

I see a private dietician every week for the last 4 years or so and she said she will print out all my stats and info to take with.

I considered surgery back in June 2011 and went to the group session then.

My gp put in my referall letter that I should go straight to the consultation because I've been to group ed and seems they've done that. Ekkkkk.

I wish I could figure out before my appt how to best prepare myself and what tests they would send me for like ecgs psychology apnea all the optional ones...

Mich
Xxx

Hi like you I had proof I had been seeing a private dietician and also that I had been seeing a personal trainer regularly. The dietician info will be a massive help I should think. Also if you do any swimming or gym keep receipts or ask gym for a print out. Before my op I had a gastroscopy (camera test) and at my pre-op assessment I had blood tests and a ECG.
At my education class I filled out a questionnaire and from the results they concluded that I didn't need to see the psychologist x

Back