• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day 1!!

Samantha1990

Hello all,

My name is Sam, I'm 25, and this is day 1 of my milk diet.

I have been struggling for years with my weight and finally got referred to Luton and Dinstable hospital obesity clinic. I had one appointment with them back in May, which was an introduction.. They told me to keep a food diary of everything I was eating/drinking.

I had my second appointment Yesterday, and they have put me onto the milk diet for 6 weeks!

This consists of 5 pints of milk... A multi vitamin, a cup of bovril, and loads of water/sugar free drinks!

I must say, for day one I think I'm doing pretty good. I don't feel hungry AT ALL!! I think I'm just craving chewing on food. I have just had my first cup of bovril and my goodness it is awful!! My mouth would not stop watering! I can't get rid of the taste! I don't know if there is any alternative? I'm probably going to dread it everyday now!

I have prepared some sugar free jelly to have tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that. I do feel proud of myself, I know I have a really long journey ahead of me but I'm finally getting the help I need.

Feeling hopeful!!

Sam xx

Welcome Sam !
Wow 6 weeks ! That's the first time I've heard of this to be honest .. I've heard of 3 weeks and I thought that was shocking ..
Anyone else on here heard of 6 weeks ? I only did 2 weeks on liver shrink ..
I'm not going to sugar coat it , I don't see the sense in it , it's going to be rough my love .. Your going to go through some major withdrawal issues .. Your body and brain are going to scream for carbs .. Like a drug addict going cold turkey , you have to be aware that your brain is going to try and make you eat .. Your going to have to find some clever ways to keep yourself occupied ..
It's hard but so worth it to come out the other side and know you've conquered your cravings :)
The first 4 to 5 days are rough so just hold on and keep focused on the goal ..
Good luck
Xxx

Welcome Sam !
Wow 6 weeks ! That's the first time I've heard of this to be honest .. I've heard of 3 weeks and I thought that was shocking ..
Anyone else on here heard of 6 weeks ? I only did 2 weeks on liver shrink ..
I'm not going to sugar coat it , I don't see the sense in it , it's going to be rough my love .. Your going to go through some major withdrawal issues .. Your body and brain are going to scream for carbs .. Like a drug addict going cold turkey , you have to be aware that your brain is going to try and make you eat .. Your going to have to find some clever ways to keep yourself occupied ..
It's hard but so worth it to come out the other side and know you've conquered your cravings :)
The first 4 to 5 days are rough so just hold on and keep focused on the goal ..
Good luck
Xxx

Thank you for your message. It's going to be a long 6 weeks. It's day 2 and I'm feeling positive ☺️ ...

I literally have not stopped peeing!

Will be a test tonight as I work shifts and I'm on a night shift tonight. I normally sit at my desk snacking all the time, and people eat around you constantly. So will be hard but I've got to train my brain!! Xx

Hey lovely welcome to the forums! I done the milk diet for 3/4 weeks so applaud you for doing 6. Be prepared for hating milk after surgery though :p.

Bovril alternatives I used were boullion which is a vegetable stock. If not then try different flavoured oxo cubes or marmite. We can add pepper to them to give it a little something.

Hope day 2 goes okay xx

Hey lovely welcome to the forums! I done the milk diet for 3/4 weeks so applaud you for doing 6. Be prepared for hating milk after surgery though :p.

Bovril alternatives I used were boullion which is a vegetable stock. If not then try different flavoured oxo cubes or marmite. We can add pepper to them to give it a little something.

Hope day 2 goes okay xx

Thank you so much. I will definitely be trying oxo cubes and marmite!! Just thinking about having the bovril gives me goosebumps! Haha.

xxx

Omg the peeing this is exhausting ! I'd just get off to sleep and then miss bladder wants to go walk about again ! But that's a really good thing as it shows your already getting rid of ketones .. If you want to mess around , go to the chemist and ask for some ketone sticks .. They will show you how deep you are into ketosis ! Might help to keep you focused if you can visibly see affects ?
Xxxx

I did 10 days (well 11 as I started on the first of May). I loved it to be honest because I didn't have to think about what to have but I didn't bother with bovril. Because you're doing it for so long you probably will need to find a salty drink to keep your levels balanced. I didn't feel hungry or miss food plus it felt essential to get me in the right frame of mind for the post surgery diet. Be kind to yourself if you get fed up of it and talk to us but don't give up, I promise it's worth it in the end x

I literally have not stopped peeing!

Hi Sam **waves**

I completely agree with the 'can't stop peeing' quote.
I am currently on day 4 of the milk diet (I'm only doing it for 2 weeks though), and I am pretty much running to the toilet every 40 minutes! It's really embarrassing.

I am pleased you are doing well and feeling positive, I think that's one of the biggest challenges.

I do agree with what Countrywench said: it does get harder - and I'm only at the beginning!

As I said, I'm on the 4th day, and today I have really felt it. Lots of headaches and lightheadedness (is that all one word?).
I have also had a noticeable drop in energy today and ability to concentrate.

I am told it gets better, and easier though, so fingers crossed.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and if you want to talk to someone who is currently going through the same thing; I'm right here :)

Take care,

Gemma Xxx

I did 10 days (well 11 as I started on the first of May). I loved it to be honest because I didn't have to think about what to have but I didn't bother with bovril. Because you're doing it for so long you probably will need to find a salty drink to keep your levels balanced. I didn't feel hungry or miss food plus it felt essential to get me in the right frame of mind for the post surgery diet. Be kind to yourself if you get fed up of it and talk to us but don't give up, I promise it's worth it in the end x

Thank you so much. I felt the same, it's easy because I don't have to think about things that I need to eat.. All I have to do it count my pints! Lol... Xx

Hi Sam **waves**

I completely agree with the 'can't stop peeing' quote.
I am currently on day 4 of the milk diet (I'm only doing it for 2 weeks though), and I am pretty much running to the toilet every 40 minutes! It's really embarrassing.

I am pleased you are doing well and feeling positive, I think that's one of the biggest challenges.

I do agree with what Countrywench said: it does get harder - and I'm only at the beginning!

As I said, I'm on the 4th day, and today I have really felt it. Lots of headaches and lightheadedness (is that all one word?).
I have also had a noticeable drop in energy today and ability to concentrate.

I am told it gets better, and easier though, so fingers crossed.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and if you want to talk to someone who is currently going through the same thing; I'm right here :)

Take care,

Gemma Xxx

Hi Gemma!!

Nice to know someone who is at the same stage as me (near enough!).

I'm on a night shift at work tonight, and I've really struggled today. I've been so tired, couldn't be bothered to do ANYTHING! I've got an extra pint with me to have before I go home at 4am, so have taken that out of my allowance for tomorrow.

... But so far haven't felt hungry. Which is a massive thing for me. I have always suffered with the fear of feeling hungry. I think physically it's going well, it's more mental about the chewing of food. I did have a sugar free chewing gum earlier though and I made it last over an hour. Haha.

Lovely to see all this support on here, I don't feel like I'm alone! My partner is amazing, and he had his dinner earlier but didn't want to eat it in front of me, but I made him do it so I get used to it. I'm going to have to watch people eating so it's got to be done!!

Thanks again, and good luck with your journey. Message me if you need to and we can compare notes!☺️

Sam xx

@Samantha1990 don't take out of today's allowance. One more pint won't hurt at this stage as it's only milk and if that's what you need to get through the day then do it xx

I might have the extra pint you know! I've woken up and still feel shattered! Night shift is a killer anyway but I'm not normally this bad.

'Today' I've had 3 pints so far..(including the pint I had before I left work this morning). So I have 2 left, I don't know if that will do me until midnight! I've got to have a nap before I go in tonight anyway so I might be ok, but I'll take an extra one with me just in case Xxx

I might have the extra pint you know! I've woken up and still feel shattered! Night shift is a killer anyway but I'm not normally this bad.

'Today' I've had 3 pints so far..(including the pint I had before I left work this morning). So I have 2 left, I don't know if that will do me until midnight! I've got to have a nap before I go in tonight anyway so I might be ok, but I'll take an extra one with me just in case Xxx

Deffo take it need to try and keep energy up as much as you can. If not feeling the semi skimmed maybe have a skimmed pint to keep you going. Less in fat but just as filling and energy fueling xxx

Hi Sam .. The exhaustion going through this diet is the pits , but I promise you it will pass and you will feel so clean and alive .. I can't explain it but it's an incredible liberating feeling .. You will be full of energy and so awake ..
I'm in a semi manual job and had to have a spoon of peanut butter a few times to keep me going ..
Your doing great
Xxxx

Last edited:
Welcome Sam!
Just to echo what everyone has said already: it does get easier. The first 3-5 days are the hardest. I ended up being on my LSD for 6 weeks, but decided to do shakes only the last 1-2 weeks and it did help prepare me for the liquids only stage post-op.
Just try to get through 1 day at a time and you'll be surprised at just how quickly the time will pass.
All the best for this stage and beyond! xx

6 weeks sounds a long time but the surgeons know what they are doing. I assume you will gave surgery at the end of the 6 weeks ? This forum is great for advice or just a whinge or moan as everyone is so friendly and supportive and have been in your shoes so empathise.

6 weeks sounds a long time but the surgeons know what they are doing. I assume you will gave surgery at the end of the 6 weeks ?

No this is the first diet they have out me on! I'm currently on tier 3. So I do this for 6 weeks and when I go back they put me onto the re-feeding diet, which will give me solid foods but still help me shift the weight. Surgery hasn't even been confirmed yet so it's really early days!!! Xx

Hi Sam .. The exhaustion going through this diet is the pits , but I promise you it will pass and you will feel so clean and alive .. I can't explain it but it's an incredible liberating feeling .. You will be full of energy and so awake ..
I'm in a semi manual job and had to have a spoon of peanut butter a few times to keep me going ..
Your doing great
Xxxx

I really don't feel it now but I'll believe you and I'm hoping for the best! Haha Thank you xx

Welcome Sam!
Just to echo what everyone has said already: it does get easier. The first 3-5 days are the hardest. I ended up being on my LSD for 6 weeks, but decided to do shakes only the last 1-2 weeks and it did help prepare me for the liquids only stage post-op.
Just try to get through 1 day at a time and you'll be surprised at just how quickly the time will pass.
All the best for this stage and beyond! xx

Thank you Lisa. Loving everyone's comments and feedback on here! Have you had your op yet? Xx

Hi Sam.

How are you doing? Day 5 and 6 have been a bit wobbly for me.

It didn't help that last night was my friends birthday, so the evening consisted me being around lots of yummy party food and drunk people, while everyone kept saying how sorry for me they felt :-/ as I couldn't have any of the chocolate cake or cocktails. I smiled my way through the evening, but it was difficult.

I hope things are going well with you though. Xxx

Back