• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day case confusion

Aquamarine1981

Hi I'm new. Iv been thru the year long process to finally get my surgery date in April at north Tyneside hospital in uk
I'm just confused as my Appointnent letter says I'm to go to the day case surgery ward and at the end it says as il hav had general anaesthetic I hav to hav someone stay with me to look after me at home overnight for 24 hours and the usual don't drive or sign anything for 24hours.
I'm having the gastric bypass and due to myself already being on strong pain meds (following 2 lower spine ops) my surgeon mentioned I may need to stay in hospital slightly longer than most other patients of his.
I'm gonna ring up and check what's happening. Has anyone else had this situation? Can I really be a day case and go home after my surgery???

Thanks in advance for any help ⭐

Last edited:
Hi I'm new. Iv been thru the year long process to finally get my surgery date in April at north Tyneside hospital in uk
I'm just confused as my Appointnent letter says I'm to go to the day case surgery ward and at the end it says as il hav had general anaesthetic I hav to hav someone stay with me to look after me at home overnight for 24 hours and the usual don't drive or sign anything for 24hours.
I'm having the gastric bypass and due to myself already being on strong pain meds (following 2 lower spine ops) my surgeon mentioned I may need to stay in hospital slightly longer than most other patients of his.
I'm gonna ring up and check what's happening. Has anyone else had this situation? Can I really be a day case and go home after my surgery???

Thanks in advance for any help ⭐
I had bypass and stayed in one night x

I've heard of bariatric surgery being done as day cases in the USA. First time I've heard about it in the UK. Apparently they just send you home with lots of drugs and you fend for yourself. Let us know what your surgeon says. I know I could not think of being sent home same day of surgery. I wasn't in pain so to speak but I just kept falling asleep at the drop of a dime.

I had the Gastric Sleeve, I was admitted on the Sunday evening and had surgery on Monday. I came home on Wednesday. I don’t think I’d have managed being released on the day of surgery, I wasn’t in a lot of pain as the surgery drugs and pain relief kept me asleep mostly the whole of Monday but Tuesday it hit me like a ton of bricks. I did want to come home but I don’t think I’d have been truly ready x

Thank u so much for everyone's responses- I'm gonna ring later today and il let u all know wat they say! I'm just excited to be on my journey after reading as much as I cud from these forums.
My surgery date is April 4th for the bypass rny. I'm now reading the problems associated with it like the really foul gas- as I already suffer from social anxiety in seriously worried about this and I can't find any success stories saying that this problem resolves itself. Xx

hi slightly late reply but hope you don't mind me commenting.

I'm having my operation at North Tees in Stockton on march 12th and I am being admitted through the access lounge (day unit) but this is just so you are near the operating theatre when getting admitted after the op you go to whatever ward and stay in. ive been told ill be in for approx. 2 to 3 days after my bypass. hope all goes well for your operation!

Jamie x

Back