• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

decisions to be made bypass or sleeve??

swes001

Hi folks.....
help is needed ...
I saw the consultant on Friday and he has agreed for me to have a proceedure !!! wow i coudnt believe it....that man has potentially changed my whole life .
Ive been over weight for 10 years ...
he doesnt do bands he doesnt like them , he said I can have a sleeve or a bypass and has left it to me to thnk about until i go for 'teaching' in december ... im really really stuck ....im 41 im 5ft 8 im 19 stone and in a 24 size clothes...id really appreciate some help here ...x x x x

Keep researching find out whats best for you, I spoke to a few surgeons and decided on a bypass as a few said they had done sleeve to bypass revisions recently, so thought I best go for a bypass in the first place, but thats only my opinion and decision :) good luck with whatever you decide xx

thats what i thought...he was honest and said they only had 5 yrs of research whereas they have 25 yrs with the bypass. Im just worried with some of the horror stories ive read like hair loss and almost malnutrition thru a lack of calories? oh its so hard ....but like u said the bypass is the final one ...and its proven i suppose !! x x

Hi swes, congrats for being accepted, where abouts are you? I decided to go for bypass for same reason as butterfly and I felt that knowing me a bypass would be the best option for me in terms of my past eating habits.

Read people's stories on here and check out youtube vids too. There's loads of info to help you make the best decision for you. Good luck xxx

im in Telford.. cant believe h agreed straight away without me even having to give him my reasons...how long ago did u have yours ? x

Hi there Swes001,

I am also was given the option for a Sleeve or Bypass and decided to make my decision a week before surgery. I read a lot of medical journals about the after effects of both surgeries and decided to go for a sleeve. Malnutrition and malabsorption for people who have had the Bypass was an issue for me and did not want to have issues with my bones in older age. So I decided to go for the sleeve. It's funny my surgeon agreed with me. You will have to make up your mind based on your needs. If you would like me to forward any information, let me know.
And good luck with your research...

i think from what ive read so far im going to opt for the sleeve.....he did say that when u have it done on the nhs it is a commitment from them as well so that if after 5 years the weight starts going back on they would look at giving me a by pass ....my friend has had a sleeve and shes lost 7 stone in a year ... Angie I would appreciate any info u have please ? x x

i cant believe that some people on here have been waiting ages for the op....we must have money in the pot where i live as i was only referred 6 weeks ago and its all hapening already !!!

I went for the bypass as im or at least I was a classic over eater and it matched my former eating habuts
all I can advise like others have said do your research and talk with your team

thats what i thought...he was honest and said they only had 5 yrs of research whereas they have 25 yrs with the bypass. Im just worried with some of the horror stories ive read like hair loss and almost malnutrition thru a lack of calories? oh its so hard ....but like u said the bypass is the final one ...and its proven i suppose !! x x

I went for a Sleeve as it suited my wants and expectations better for me.

You also get hair loss etc with a Sleeve xx

Oh right. ...I was up quite late last night on you tube etc.... Think I'm going for the sleeve. ... good job I've got a sis in law for a hairdresser. ... There's always extentions! !!!!!

i think from what ive read so far im going to opt for the sleeve.....he did say that when u have it done on the nhs it is a commitment from them as well so that if after 5 years the weight starts going back on they would look at giving me a by pass ....my friend has had a sleeve and shes lost 7 stone in a year ... Angie I would appreciate any info u have please ? x x

That's what my surgeon said to me as well. But we are not going to put the weight on are we :). I will send some thing through your mail box once I've figured It out.

I have just sent you an email once you have confirmed me as a friend. I will be able to send you some infor.

Welcome! Im waiting to meet the bariatric clinic here, its great to see everyone getting on so well. Good luck with whichever you choose :) xx

Well I've been in a little holiday for 4 days. . Have searched the net over and over. .. Think I'm going to have the sleeve. ...x

Hello, I'm from Telford too and was just wondering how has your process gone from referral to now, has there been any mention of funding?? Have you been to the seminar.

Back