• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Decisions!!!!

Am I making the right decision??

• Total voters

borogirl

Hello I have been reviewing this site for a while and it is a major source of info. I was due to go back to Sunderland in July to show I have achieved 10lb weightloss... but have asked to goto James Cook as they are alot nearer. Have I made the right decision? I am concerned I go back to square 1. My GP was not very helpful and did not have any ideas about the process. I wish I had left it as I may have extended my surgery date!
Also I snack and graze and pick... but have no family support for a bypass as they are horrified (mainloy hubby). Am I comprimising for a sleeve! All of these decisions are stressful! On a positibe I have lostt 17lb since seminar and weigh in... but struggling to get back on track dieting... and now worry I will get another target from James Cook! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

hiya :) cant help you im afraid, just want to welcome you to the site, good luck :) xxx

Hello I have been reviewing this site for a while and it is a major source of info. I was due to go back to Sunderland in July to show I have achieved 10lb weightloss... but have asked to goto James Cook as they are alot nearer. Have I made the right decision? I am concerned I go back to square 1. My GP was not very helpful and did not have any ideas about the process. I wish I had left it as I may have extended my surgery date!
Also I snack and graze and pick... but have no family support for a bypass as they are horrified (mainloy hubby). Am I comprimising for a sleeve! All of these decisions are stressful! On a positibe I have lostt 17lb since seminar and weigh in... but struggling to get back on track dieting... and now worry I will get another target from James Cook! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I know i ahd trhe same problems at the start however my parents and husband were supportive until the surgeon suggested i have the bypass that was the one thing my hubby didn't want for me, i knew if thats what the surgeon said then thats what i needed. I made sure he came next time and asked all the relevant questions he needed to put his mind at rest. It did the trick and he supported well throughout, they looked after me when i came out too very well and still do. xx I had a bypass so never really thought about anyhting but thwe band prior to that.

Thank you - didnt mean for all of those spelling errors on my post!
no worries, but the surgery you decide on is a very personal choice, you have to weight everything up and make your decision, good luck :) xxx

Both the bypass and the sleeve have good weight loss. Why do you think you would be compromising with a sleeve?

Kim

Hi I keep researching both. I am worried in the long term I will stretch a small sleeve. I have done lighter life before and lost 6 stone, to then put 7 stone back on. Its the worry of it coming back really. Its harder to have lost it and to have put it back on than never to have lost it in the first place! I suppose I am trying to manage hubbys support also by not going for the most drastic option, and having this done closer to home. Thanks for advice about getting him into the next appointment. May consider that!

Both pouches stretch over time, so you could put weight back on with both. Its the maintaing which makes it successful whatever operation, and everybody worries if they will be able to. You know you cant keep the weight off through dieting alone, so if its what you really want make a decision and go for it. My OH was worried about it all but now he's delighted for me and can see how much happier i am.

Kim

Thanks - I have just looked at your weight loss stats and they are amazing. I cant do this on my own. I have tried tried and failed again. My hubby is lovely and never calls me, I just want something that works this time, or should I say something that I make work and last...

Had a Sleeve done a little over two weeks ago.

My surgeon is convinced I will be back for a bypass as I will get addicted to the weight loss and it will stop and i will want to loose more.

U can stretch either a sleeve or a pouch if u dont follow the rules. bypass only malabsorbs food for approx 2 years but u have vitamin deficiences for life. Thats what made me choose the sleeve. plus if i have to eat less then i want to be able to eat what i want ~ within reason obviously!! And i dont like the thought of having part of my stomach removed from use but still in my body. it could get an ulcer or cancer but couldnt be scoped, I'd rather have everything fully functioning ~ just smaller! Its just my opinion, some people prefer bypass because the stomach isnt removed!

I never considered undetected cancer or anything. Just knew my own eating habits. And the bypass was first choice for how I ate.

Most bypasses these days leave the stomach still attached and just triple staple it off. This helps if there is an urgent need for a reversal. Which is only done in real medical need.

Plus the large part of the stomach still works and is used to digest food (stomach acids meet the new intestine path etc)

One of my closest friends has had a sleeve and done amazing.

So both ops are great options xxx

Ultimately you have to do what is going to work for you in the long term but you can't do it without your family's support either. My hubby is 100% behind me BUT he didn't like the idea of a bypass and I'm not sure he'd be as supportive if I hadn't decided to have a sleeve. I genuinely think the sleeve is my best option but I wouldn't want to have to go back for a second surgery at a later date.

As you're already on your way with Sunderland I'd stick with them but maybe you could call James Cook and ask them how long it would take from start to finish before you decide?

Best of luck x

Thank you for support. I am going to try and find out estimated weighting times for James Cook Hosp also this week, need to take charge of my own destiny (or at least have an understanding of it). Also if anyone has any news of how PCOS can be affected by a sleeve, that would be helpful (polycystic ovaries) xxx

I agree with Fuffs that both these operations give good results. If I had trouble staying away from sugar I think I might have gone with the bypass but my problem is eating too much. What I am going to miss the most is lager! The thought of never having a pint glass in my hand again makes me very sad! I dont drink very often these days but if I do then its pints of lager all the way! Havent had any since last year and probably never will again now as I've been dieting towards surgery since january. everyone says oh u can have a glass of wine instead. but I'm a pint of lager girl not a glass of wine at a ridiculous price girl lol

Agree,i will miss lager, indian and chinese food and Middlesbrough parmos! I need to get back on my diet, I had lost 19lb target was 10) but now I am changing hospitals I may have to start again!
But new start and I cant live my life through food (and sneaking food whenever anyone isnt looking). Enjoy your last "stella! xx

Punkwitch said:
I agree with Fuffs that both these operations give good results. If I had trouble staying away from sugar I think I might have gone with the bypass but my problem is eating too much. What I am going to miss the most is lager! The thought of never having a pint glass in my hand again makes me very sad! I dont drink very often these days but if I do then its pints of lager all the way! Havent had any since last year and probably never will again now as I've been dieting towards surgery since january. everyone says oh u can have a glass of wine instead. but I'm a pint of lager girl not a glass of wine at a ridiculous price girl lol

You may just go off the thought of it though lol

I loved lager/cider and black pre op. The thought of that or some of my other faces makes my pouch turn right now lol

Back