• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie - James Cook Referral

loulabelle79

Hi all - I'm just at the very start of the process and have recently been referred by my GP to James Cook @Middlesborough, (no appt through as yet) does anyone have any experience there that can give me any info on time lines etc and any thing you may feel relevant/useful to know. After trying for many years to get my GP to refer me with no joy then an unexpected change of surgery and a new dr and finally I have been referred, look forward to hearing any tips/advice you might have x thanks :)

Don't know about james cook, I work in boro but live outside darlington, had my op in Sunderland long wait between appointments but it was worth it. Hang in there.

Hi loulabelle, I'm currently on Sunderland's books, but am transferring to North Tees. Apparently the rules changed again last April and you have to do some kind of weight management course if your Bmi is under 50. If it's over 50 you can be accepted straight away. I was also told I would have to be under the hospital for 6 months before I could have surgery. X

Thanks... I'm just so impatient, the waiting is going to kill me. xx
hi I'm 2 weeks post op from James Cook and can't fault them! First meeting 23 dec, op done 17 July! Could have been sooner!! Amazing team, gastric bypass!!!

Wow that seems fast, have you been to seminar and done weight management course that most seem to do? When were you referred? Sorry about all the Q's x?

Hi loulabelle :)

I'm currently at York hospital so just wanted to welcome you to the forum :)

I've found all the threads a massive help when I was researching my op x

Hi... Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm so confused still but am loving reading everyone's advice. So glad a friend told me about it xx

Anything you're confused about, don't be afraid to ask, was only a couple of months ago when I was in the same place you are :) x

As far as I know it's the hospital. My gp referred me for the surgery and my hospital team assessed whether or not I was fit and suitable for it x

Welcome and good luck with your journey :)

Loulabelle, I have heard of some gps referring patients for weight management as they don't believe they are suitable for the op or have doubts whether the patient is emotionally/mentally prepared to make such a huge life change.

My gp has seen my weight fluctuate for 13yrs and then some medical complication happened and I gained 6st in just over 5weeks despite being on slimming world, he came to the conclusion after a barrage of tests that it's something to do with my digestive tract and not me so he said the surgery was the best option. I actually cried because this was something I never wanted, a different gp offered to refer me about 3yrs ago but I refused because I was doing so well on slimming world and didn't think I needed it but it's now become medically necessary. My team at the hospital agree too. With my bmi I instantly qualified so weight management wasn't even discussed with me x

Loulabelle, I have heard of some gps referring patients for weight management as they don't believe they are suitable for the op or have doubts whether the patient is emotionally/mentally prepared to make such a huge life change. My gp has seen my weight fluctuate for 13yrs and then some medical complication happened and I gained 6st in just over 5weeks despite being on slimming world, he came to the conclusion after a barrage of tests that it's something to do with my digestive tract and not me so he said the surgery was the best option. I actually cried because this was something I never wanted, a different gp offered to refer me about 3yrs ago but I refused because I was doing so well on slimming world and didn't think I needed it but it's now become medically necessary. My team at the hospital agree too. With my bmi I instantly qualified so weight management wasn't even discussed with me x

Ah right that makes sense Ryverbloo...
My GP in 2006 offered to refer me but I declined as I was adamant I could do it solo, then moved area and to a new GP and after a few years trying and realising I did need help my then GP was having non of it, then when my daughter arrived I moved Gp's and they have been fantastic, I found out I had type 2 diabetes recently and already have a couple of other conditions that don't help my situation so they asked if I wanted to think about surgery as an option, I had been thinking about it for a long time so am really pleased they are giving me the chance to at least try :)

Got my first appt with surgeon through for 4th Sept, sooner than I expected so very pleased. :) can anyone tell me what I can I expect at my first meeting plz? xx

Back