• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression..

debbieb

Hi everyone ,
A bit embarrassing to write this, but I would like your views.. Obviously as you will know I've had a rough time since my bypass at Christmas , and i had to have a stretch on Thursday .. But for some reason I seem to be moody bordering on depression!! , and to be honest it's a little scary !!..
The stretch was successful but I find myself still sticking to soups and yogurts and I find that when I go out to buy food I look at the calorie value and end up putting it back !!.. Telling my self that I can't eat that because it will make me fat !!..
I'm not sure what to do next , but I would greatly appreciate your advice on what to do next. X

If it really is going to be a big problem to you then it may be beneficial to have a discussion with your dietician you may even need some counselling, because i think a lot of it may be coming from the fear of not being able to have some things because of the pyschological trauma of having to have the stretch. I may be wrong though so if you think i'm way off the mark just disregard what i said.

chrisa said:
If it really is going to be a big problem to you then it may be beneficial to have a discussion with your dietician you may even need some counselling, because i think a lot of it may be coming from the fear of not being able to have some things because of the pyschological trauma of having to have the stretch. I may be wrong though so if you think i'm way off the mark just disregard what i said.

No , thank you.. The thought had crossed my mind to get in touch with the dietician, after all the consultant is basically there to just do the stitching and sewing.. And I think that counselling wouldn't go amiss as well . Xx

No , thank you.. The thought had crossed my mind to get in touch with the dietician, after all the consultant is basically there to just do the stitching and sewing.. And I think that counselling wouldn't go amiss as well . Xx

Our minds are very complex and the subconscious can have a negative effect on our lives at times, i am a big believer of counselling and if thats what the dietician or doc should suggest i would take them up on the offer. Our dietician doesn't want us to look at calories, because she thinks we will get back to our old ways of calorie counting which gets back tp the diet days and then the cheating ones self and putting weight back on, she says just to concentrate on a healthy diet low in sugar and fat, fruit and veg and protein with lots of water. Just healthy eating regime not a diet. Its easy to get back into the diet trap, i saw the dietician on Wed and told her that i do fancy sweet things and she said if i really wanted something as long as it was in a tiny portion ie 1 square of chocolate then that is fine should i got to 3 or 4 i would probably be ill and dump so small is the name of the game if i feel i wnat it so no holds are barred really just moderation and common sense. Good luck and ask for help sooner rather than later xx:)

I am going to go back to counselling too. As the bypass has thrown up many of my food issues. So I think it is a good idea.

Good luck chick xxx

With me I think the anastetic has opened up some stuff stuffed in my subconscious, because issues are coming out that I didn't know I had. I'm working through them with the DBT and CBT techniques I learnt while I was in therapy for 2 years. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

chrisa said:
Our minds are very complex and the subconscious can have a negative effect on our lives at times, i am a big believer of counselling and if thats what the dietician or doc should suggest i would take them up on the offer. Our dietician doesn't want us to look at calories, because she thinks we will get back to our old ways of calorie counting which gets back tp the diet days and then the cheating ones self and putting weight back on, she says just to concentrate on a healthy diet low in sugar and fat, fruit and veg and protein with lots of water. Just healthy eating regime not a diet. Its easy to get back into the diet trap, i saw the dietician on Wed and told her that i do fancy sweet things and she said if i really wanted something as long as it was in a tiny portion ie 1 square of chocolate then that is fine should i got to 3 or 4 i would probably be ill and dump so small is the name of the game if i feel i wnat it so no holds are barred really just moderation and common sense. Good luck and ask for help sooner rather than later xx:)

Thanks, I am really at a loss to explain why I feel like this .. It just seems to have hit me today, and I can't seem to snap out of it !!.. Don't get me wrong , I am not craving food, far from it..I had the stretch done Thursday which enabled me to eat a wider variety of food, but I have found myself eating less an less !, and like i said I am constantly checking the calorie value of everything that enters my mouth. Telling my self NO !..

I think there are others who have been through similar and thier teams have banned them from calorie counting. It becomes like OCD and needs to be nipped in the bud x

debbieb said:
Thanks, I am really at a loss to explain why I feel like this .. It just seems to have hit me today, and I can't seem to snap out of it !!.. Don't get me wrong , I am not craving food, far from it..I had the stretch done Thursday which enabled me to eat a wider variety of food, but I have found myself eating less an less !, and like i said I am constantly checking the calorie value of everything that enters my mouth. Telling my self NO !..

I do the exact same thing as you. So much so, some days I only consume 500 calories if I'm lucky. I try not to look at the label but it's difficult. I only ever choose foods with the lowest grams of fat I can find. Labels are taking over my life following my bypass.

Its the hard part now getting your head to follow your stomach!Forget calories and weighing yourself.Try to relax around food and tell yourself we can only eat small so eat smart!There is nothing I deny myself,if I want it I eat it without thinking now just a hell of a lot less than before.
I would advise a word with a dietician too as 500 calories could slow your losses down to nothing,you should be on 1000/1200 cals eventually.Maz x

Its the hard part now getting your head to follow your stomach!Forget calories and weighing yourself.Try to relax around food and tell yourself we can only eat small so eat smart!There is nothing I deny myself,if I want it I eat it without thinking now just a hell of a lot less than before.
I would advise a word with a dietician too as 500 calories could slow your losses down to nothing,you should be on 1000/1200 cals eventually.Maz x

You talking very sensible there thats how the dietician told me to look at it, and it works, but i think until you get in that mode you encourage a food phobia to form, and it can hamper your helath and weight loss, i think medical help needs to be sought in these case as Fuffs said needs nipping in the bud, and yes Kitty feels that alot of isues have come out since her op and she has been working through them. I am craving sweet stuff and it is shocking, most others don't fancy or want anything sweet again,:8855: we all different but have to be sensible and if its professional help we need thats what we have to find. xx For a happy and healthy new life to all xx;)

Just a quick update .. It's been a week since my stretch now , and to be honest not much has changed... I have tried to eat different foods, even blending meals at work, but to be honest I find myself still going back to soups and yogurts ... I can't seem to get past it , it Is like a safety net that I have built up ! , so I have decided to give the hospital a ring and ask for help, and to be honest... I don't want to talk to just a dietician.. I think that I need to perhaps talk to a councillor or psycologist Who can help me get over this.. It is almost like I have built up a phobia against food,..
I don't ever regret having the bypass, but I feel that perhaps the hospital might have gone through all the things that could go wrong a little bit better instead of just a piece of paper telling me that I have a 1 in 200 chance of death ! , and that's the only information that I got !

Well done you for coming to that decision, for what its worth i think you are right and you must get it sorted if you are to have a healthy body, the vitamins are just part of the regime the food plays a part as well, good luck with your new added journey and don't be fobbed off, you go and get the help you need and deserve. The first step is being able to admit there is a problem and you need help the 2nd is to get it and embrace it you're on your way, keep us posted we're all inb it with you. xx

Thank you chrisa ,
I guess for me although I had my bypass 5 months ago , this is almost like the beginning for me . But I will keep you al posted on any progress made..xx

Back